PDA

View Full Version : Blue tooth reciever for sound

DJMoonbass
03-26-2009, 12:16 AM
This just popped in my head. Has anyone tried hooking upba blue tooth to a soundboard and having the sound come out of a car or home blue tooth capabale sound system? That would be so amazing.

Novastar
03-26-2009, 01:09 AM
Wireless... yes... both Erv and Hyperdyne had this sort of setup. It's not very popular (in my opinion) due to the excess expense, extra logistics, and probably also the simple fact that very few people need this.

Granted... this would be EXCELLENT for a "2-person demo", showing it to a crowd or something.

If I had the $$$$, I would have made Balance of Power (both I & II) a mixture of music & vocals & foley effects on the CD... plus the "live" saber sounds as need be. The choreography would have also had a LOT more freedom this way, but... alas... I never had (and still do not) an endless sack o' gold to wave around. :)

Rhyen Skytracker
03-26-2009, 04:38 AM
What? Everyone don't have extra sacks of gold just laying around? JK. I can see how it would be great for doing productions.

Ravage179
03-26-2009, 06:11 AM
Bluetooth is fairly inexpensive these days, I hacked some cheap headsets last year and used them to mod some art asylum star trek communicators, for a cost of about $20 bought at my local Bestbuy, in theory they could be wired to the speaker output (you would have to limit the volume output first) and they are very small so space would be ok, you just have a very short range (about 20ft max).

DJMoonbass
03-26-2009, 08:22 AM
Wow I can totally seeing my self dueling hardcore in the middle of Portland with the sound blasting from huge cabinets. I wish a had a sack of gold. No platinum is better. LOL

Rhyen Skytracker
03-26-2009, 08:33 AM
I have a spare bag of gold, would you like it?

Swordlord
03-26-2009, 08:50 AM
I have a spare bag of gold, would you like it?

What are you, a leprechaun? :mrgreen:

Novastar
03-26-2009, 02:53 PM
I have a spare bag of gold, would you like it?Woo-hoo! Finally some dough to help launch BOP III, hehehh... :P

back to wireless... but... yeah, 20 feet is limited, and I would also have to re-construct several sabers, buy the (currently non-existent) saber boards that would do the driving... set up the software on the computer with the sound files... port a laptop around (I *DID* just get one for Jennifer for school)... worry about cross-signals and possible noise...

...and the major thing is... the DYNAMICS of the sound. Latency would be an issue. "False detections" would be issues. The "staccato" type rhythm would be ok... but only for about 10 seconds, and then we'd want to hear "an arranged" sound piece. Many people don't realize how much work Ben Burtt had to put into the soundtracks for SW. His job was not all that far off from John Williams'... in that he was creating "a symphony of sound".

Now... to play Devil's Advocate on myself... there is a "prototype battle" that belonged in BOP III that I called "The 250". It is actually on my NSCFCDv1.1--the CF Sound CD. Anyhow... it has *NO* added sound effects... only the CF v2.61 sabers were providing the effects. It sounds nice enough. Although that was not wireless, nor as a "direct feed" into speakers for clear sound. What you hear is how it was, what you see was how it was seen...

But... unfortunately... I don't know if it's worth the trouble. Without a crew of 3 or 4 to support me... without even a *CAST* right now... without $$$ either. And I already have so many jobs to do. :)

swear000
03-26-2009, 03:53 PM
yeah I'll take the bag if no one else claims it.

Bluetooth is cool but I am not sure how a Jedi would use it. I have thought about building a simple charger circuit and putting it in a droid caller:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3073/2694804703_8dc3cc3ba3.jpg?v=0

the circuit:

http://psn.quake.net/eco8/battery_monitor.html

you can get pcb that is disk shaped from radio shack.

You may be able to stick a bluetooth module in the droid caller to control a self built R-2 unit.

Jedi-Loreen
03-26-2009, 04:13 PM
All I can think of when I look at that link is how crappy the soldering job is on that board in the pic. :rolleyes:

swear000
03-26-2009, 06:07 PM
lol very true. I generally am not a fan of jumpering wires behind the board. I like boards that have the traces already in them. The round PCBs from radio shack have a copper ring around each hole which should help with soldering more cleanly. I think that post was 2004 but the principles of the schematic should be sound for a simple lipo circuit. I think I have another one bookmarked somewhere....

xl97
03-26-2009, 07:09 PM
what about using an FM transmitter?

Ravage179
03-26-2009, 08:57 PM
Something like an itrip for your car stereo? Not sure what the range is on those, good idea tho Probably less lag than bluetooth.

Kal El Rah
03-26-2009, 09:52 PM
Anybody remember "MR MICROPHONE" ?

It was AM based and had a decent range, and an FM transmitter goes alot farther than AM like 10' vs 50'.8)

Ravage179
03-26-2009, 10:04 PM
mr. microphone LOL!!! I just got a mental image of puling up to a gansta's car and drowning out the beats to crystal focus... too bad that image end in gunfire :(

Kal El Rah
03-26-2009, 11:41 PM
Most likely would end that way now days but in the day it worked real well in cars.

DJMoonbass
03-28-2009, 12:24 AM
mr. microphone LOL!!! I just got a mental image of puling up to a gansta's car and drowning out the beats to crystal focus... too bad that image end in gunfire :(

Yo dawg! Dig this! You bump your subs to some duel of the fates. What now homie!!! You hit your hydros and your crystal focus blasts. Yeah! Get some! He whips out a snub nose 38 and holds it outside his window so you get your lightsaber hilt and hold it outside. Just walk away buddie. Be smart! I have the frickin force yo!

Novastar
03-28-2009, 12:36 AM
Emperor: It's not the east or the west side...
Vader: No it's not!
Emperor: It's not the north or the south side...
Vader: No it's not!
Emperor: It's the dark side...
Vader: You are correct!

We got Deathstar!
.........................................DEATH STAR!
We got Deathstar!
We got Deathstar!

I'm Yoda, I'm a soldja, I mold ja then I fold ja, I thought I told ja! Don't be unwise, judge me not by my size. You won't believe your eyes, watch the X-wing rise.

:D LOL! :D

DJMoonbass
03-28-2009, 12:52 AM
Put a beat behind that!!!!!

Obi-Ben
04-15-2009, 10:40 AM
I don't understand what the point of this would be. Just to get a bigger sound than a hilt's speaker could provide? How loud does a saber need to get?

xl97
04-15-2009, 12:21 PM
what if you were putting on a show/play/exhibit.. and wanted to broadcast the sound to speakers so the audience can hear it too?

Kal El Rah
04-15-2009, 01:01 PM
what if you were putting on a show/play/exhibit.. and wanted to broadcast the sound to speakers so the audience can hear it too?

That's what Ervs Omnisaber system did. It came in a briefcase with all the stuff needed. Unfortunately he doesn't have any or know when if ever anymore will be produced.

Novastar
04-15-2009, 02:20 PM
what if you were putting on a show/play/exhibit.. and wanted to broadcast the sound to speakers so the audience can hear it too?Well, and that's the real thing... how many of you folks really NEED this?! lol

*I* don't even need it. In fact (as I've said many times via threads)--using each saber's "real" sounds to broadcast to audiences for "enjoyment" produce several issues:

1. "False" detections are... uh... still played! That is... you swing it hard but get a clash sound = too bad, it'll be played and heard. This happens a lot--no matter what type of motion detection system is going on.

2. At present, even if you were using CF... you can only get SO MANY sounds to come out of there. You cannot dynamically "craft" the sounds so that it becomes more of a symphony of rhythms and pitches and so forth. This is hard to explain, but... this might turn on a light bulb of realization to people on what folks like Ben Burtt have done, along with sound editors for saber fan films and so forth.

3. It's expensive, and what I mean by that is for all the extra logistics... even though b-tooth wireless has come down in price. You still need some kind of "system" to get it all done. And hope that nothing interrupts the signals during transmission.

4. One failed wire = a catastrophic failure of your show. This isn't to say you should be a worry-wort with things... but... a pre-recorded soundtrack is MANY times less likely to fail vs. a wireless "regime".

5. All sounds will be fairly "staccato" in rhythm, and this can't really be changed. You can't blend sounds together on the fly. Timings can still be off for things like "lockups" and such... and timing for punches and kicks will either be impossible or be severely limited since you'd need to trigger them on the sabers at precisely the right time.

6. Vocals need to be on microphone or pre-recorded.

7. Music needs to be pre-recorded.

8. Foley sounds need to be pre-recorded. For those who don't know--foley would be background noises/sounds that aren't "prevalent", but set the tone for the atmosphere of the show.

BUT... all that being said--you do get a HUGE advantage for choreography in that it doesn't have to be "perfectly timed". You can go (approximately) as slow or as fast as you like or need.

Granted... if you had a full show with dialogue and foley and music... your timing would have to be pretty good, or else you'd get behind or ahead by 2 to 3 seconds which would screw up things in many ways. Trust me: bad things happen! :)

Ultimately (in my opinion)... it's a whole lot more trouble than it's worth. Although I DO wish it WERE an awesome solution (for my needs).

If you're doing a demo where you talk to the audience, say hello, welcome them, explain stuff, etc. -- it would be GREAT though.

xl97
04-15-2009, 03:12 PM
right..I didnt say it was needed.. he asked what it would be used for. ;)

erv
04-29-2009, 09:49 PM
That's what Ervs Omnisaber system did. It came in a briefcase with all the stuff needed. Unfortunately he doesn't have any or know when if ever anymore will be produced.

I build them on request... I'm going to improve the receiver to get it sending info to the computer using a network connection, and possibly handle multiple sabers per receiver.

I personnally hate bluetooth for the classic use of it (aka pairing a device to your computer). Big time out, big latency stack etc.
The system I'm using uses auto pairing, ie both transceivers are configured to match each other in about 1 sec.
You basically could use a BT headset to transmit sound, but it's unreliable on long distances. I have customers using this on, at least, 20 meters of movement. My new tranceivers are working up to 350 m (about 1,000 feet) in line of sight. And my system isn't sending sound at all, and not continuous info, that why I have a short latency compared to the H system that streams the motion sensors data to a computer instead of doing motion recognition locally...
FM transmitters, wireless mikes etc, all those could work. If you can fit something like this in your saber, and afford it too. My transmitter is about 18x12 mm + the antenna. As usual a compromise between ready made technology, size / room, price etc.

Kal El Rah
04-29-2009, 11:00 PM
Well there ya go, the man himself answered, Thank You Erv.

erv
04-30-2009, 04:16 AM
very welcome,
as usual I'm not bashing any idea or the person behind. It's just that there a difference between something that can / could work and something that you can duplicate.
I had the same thing when I built my "real blade lockup" detector. It works, but it's not reliable / easy to duplicate to present it as a real solution.

Rhyen Skytracker
04-30-2009, 09:03 AM
I think the best solution is for someone to make a REAL lightsaber. They are plenty loud enough. :D