PDA

View Full Version : Possible sound board solution....

ziongraffix
03-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Hello I am new here and new to the hobby as well. I have spent the past week reading, emailing, and learning the basics. I only own a MR Vader saber I got from the local paper in the box for 40.00. I think I am ready to try my hand at a custom saber and learn that you can't get a soundboard. I know it is possible to convert my vader MR to a Luxeon based saber (though I can't even find a conversion in stock) ( If anyone can get me a link then thanks!) Aaaaanywho... That is taking an LED string blade to a lux style right? So why cant we take one of Makotosai's Super one boards and convert it to use a Lux? They are readily avail for 90 plus shipping. If you knew the voltage would this not work? Also If anyone has the numbers, Could Makoto's setup push any extras like a vibrating motor?

Ideal
03-25-2009, 11:45 PM
im not really familiar with makotosai's boards...is that a sound board or just a driver?

Lord Dottore Matto
03-25-2009, 11:46 PM
im not really familiar with makotosai's boards...is that a sound board or just a driver?

Super 1 is just a driver (I think...)

ziongraffix
03-26-2009, 01:37 AM
Makoto has a board with sound and light driver. He also has one that is only sound. Its just driving an EL blade. I have spoken with him and I think he is going to attempt a Lux setup. He has told me he is taking the next step with adding vibrating motors to his sabers.

Master Dru-Er
03-26-2009, 02:59 AM
As far as I know he has 2 boards. One being just a sound board. The other is the "2 in 1" board. It has sounds and drives a component led blade. People were talking about finding out how much power this things slings out. But I have heard none of it thus far.

Rhyen Skytracker
03-26-2009, 04:28 AM
I am going to get one next week and I will let you know the current output.

vargose
03-26-2009, 06:57 AM
Well you can take the sound cards out of the MR FX sabers or out of the Toy hasbro sabers.

The other option is to wait patiently for an Ultrasound or a Crystal Focus

Zook
03-26-2009, 07:28 AM
I would be interested to know as well. I saw his video demoing the sound card. I liked the power up and down sound as well as idle but one of the hit sounds seemed a little odd and you dont really get much in the way of swing noise from the demo...he mostly covered hit noise.

DJMoonbass
03-26-2009, 08:33 AM
Crystal focus is the way to go. But they are impossible to get. Ultrasound should be back way soon and I'm thinkin of getting three or four by the end of summer. Let's see.... 119 X 4 =..... Ya deffinately the end of summer.

Rhyen Skytracker
03-26-2009, 08:37 AM
Can I have one? JK. I plan on getting several US 2.1 myself.

Kant Lavar
03-26-2009, 11:55 AM
Oh, yeah. I'm planning on getting at least two of Tim's short packs, and one loose board. My brother is so gonna owe me when I upgrade his saber to US 2.1, Trustfires, and a Lux V. 8-)

Then another for my current project, and the loose board to replace a US 2.0 with bad LED pads. (That way I have a spare saber for... whatever.)

I'll probably hang onto the US 2.0s for experiments... like, perhaps, running a US 2.0 for sound and a Corbin board with a 10-watt LEDEngin RGGBwired for clash flash a la Mad Hatter...

EDIT: Wait. Corbin board runs 3 watt LEDs. Trying to run a 10 watt LED off it will probably be either a horrible waste or fry the board. Or both. *facepalm*

DJMoonbass
03-26-2009, 11:52 PM
Wade: trade for an ahsoka and stormy saber. LOL. Can never have enough ultrasound my friends

Onli-Won Kanomi
03-27-2009, 07:47 AM
Oh, yeah. I'm planning on getting at least two of Tim's short packs, and one loose board. My brother is so gonna owe me when I upgrade his saber to US 2.1, Trustfires, and a Lux V. 8-)

Then another for my current project, and the loose board to replace a US 2.0 with bad LED pads. (That way I have a spare saber for... whatever.)

I'll probably hang onto the US 2.0s for experiments... like, perhaps, running a US 2.0 for sound and a Corbin board with a 10-watt LEDEngin RGGBwired for clash flash a la Mad Hatter...

EDIT: Wait. Corbin board runs 3 watt LEDs. Trying to run a 10 watt LED off it will probably be either a horrible waste or fry the board. Or both. *facepalm*

Kant the Corbin board v2 is spec'd to handle 30V input and output 25V [!] with 1000-1200 milliAmp PWM so its certainly not limited to "3 watt LEDs" [I'm sure somebody here will point out that discussing the LEDs we use today in terms of 'watts' isnt as useful anymore]...I suspect calling Corbin boards "3 watt" is just a Naming convention left over from when it was first developed when the LEDs we used most in sabers were the then-new LuxIII...since then with our increased use of higher power more efficient LEDs in our saber designs the "watt" terminology has become less useful to us except that some LED manufacturers insist on calling their offerings by those terms for MARKETING reasons...and certainly the Corbin V2 has progressed along with the saberfan community's experimentation to today be able to handle far more powerful LEDs than "3 watt" designs...it can handle tri-rebels easily and should be more than capable of running quads-under-one-dome like the LEDEngin without 'frying' I'd think.

Kant Lavar
03-27-2009, 09:32 AM
And now I know.

"And knowing is half the battle!"

I think I may have some planning to do.

Novastar
03-27-2009, 04:43 PM
Yup. Wattage is heat, and that depends on the batteries + what the LED wants in this case.

Obi-Ben
03-27-2009, 08:31 PM
You guys who think you need 20 US boards need to learn how to share! I want one. Just one right now for the perfect saber.

Novastar
03-28-2009, 12:01 AM
All y'all need to CHILL!!! :mrgreen:

Alex is working on getting more US boards out. First the upgrade needs to happen to current boards and those probably need to be observed JUST in case anything else is twitchy. Hopefully not.

Erv is very busy with his "regular" life (for those who don't know, Ultrasabers is FULL-time saber,saber,saber, but Erv is technically PART-time saber,saber,saber). However... steps ARE being taken to see about getting more CF out there.

The DIY community for sabers is growing at an ALARMING rate... especially when you consider everything that has happened from around 2003/2004 to the present. It's NOT a linear growth thing... it appears to be a lot more like cubic or geometric (at least... in my "I've been watching things closely" opinion).

I'm not trying to be overbearing, but... I'm hoping newer people will get at least a little bit of an idea of "where things started from". It's hard to do that when you jump onto the train after it's WELL been on its way to its next destination... but... anyhow.

It's just a perspective thing.

Jedi-Loreen
03-28-2009, 12:20 AM
That's so true, Nova. You and I (and Tim and xwingband and a few others here) have been around, watching, throwing out ideas and trying things, since the very inception of the LED saber revolution.

New people coming into this hobby have no idea of some of the, sometimes agonizing, steps it has taken to get where we are now. They take it all for granted. :rolleyes:

Ironphoenix
03-28-2009, 12:49 AM
The same thing with the tattoo industry, like jedi Loreen and Nova who have seen it grow I can't imagine as I am new to the whole thing. Since shows like Miami Ink and LA Ink, there has been a huge increase in people just stumbling into tattooing without any training. Hackin people up 25 bucks at a time... sad really.

DJMoonbass
03-28-2009, 01:09 AM
Wow there is a lot of history on saber building. And with popularity growing I am deffinatley setting up an at home business. I agree with j lo and nova. We should be more gratefull to the masters. I am hoping tim will start carrying more variety of drivers and sound boards. Especcially cf. Are there more out there???

Novastar
03-28-2009, 02:06 AM
That's so true, Nova. You and I (and Tim and xwingband and a few others here) have been around, watching, throwing out ideas and trying things, since the very inception of the LED saber revolution.

New people coming into this hobby have no idea of some of the, sometimes agonizing, steps it has taken to get where we are now. They take it all for granted. :rolleyes:Good point Lori, although... I don't even consider myself as one of the folks around during the "foundation" days... after all... I learned quite a bit by doing research first and just to give some perspective to others:
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?p=127072#post127072

It's a W.I.P.

:D

ziongraffix
04-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Crystal focus is the way to go. But they are impossible to get. Ultrasound should be back way soon and I'm thinkin of getting three or four by the end of summer. Let's see.... 119 X 4 =..... Ya deffinately the end of summer.

3 or 4!!?? I hope to be lucky enough to get ONE!! I just want ONE lightsaber!! Hahaha.... Let me build a LIGHTSABERRRR!!!!