PDA

View Full Version : Sizes of LED Emitters

Darth Siggious
03-25-2009, 03:09 PM
EDIT: Nevermind, changed heatsinks and it fit just fine.

Not sure where this topic belongs so I'm rockin it under Misc Topics, but here's my story.

I tried changing my Red LuxIII to a R-O LuxIII last night and I noticed something funky.

I use an overlay that gets screwed down to the blade holder (with the retention screw) and to the main body hilt section, basically, the two holes line up perfectly when assembled.

So when I put the R-O in and screwed the blade holder all the way down, the holes didn't line up, they're about 1/8" off. Tried again, same thing. Tried a different lens for S's and G's, same thing. Tried a different lens holder, same thing. Put the Red back in, and it screwed down perfectly with all combinations of lens's/holders.

So, took the red out and put the R-O back in, back to square one, it screws down looking like it's flush, but the holes still don't line up. Tried an Amber LuxIII, lined up perfectly, put the R-O back in, didn't line up.

Took the R-O off of the heatsink and screwed it down again, same thing, didn't line up.

Is the emitter on the R-O larger (or taller I guess) than the emitters on the other LED's or am I crazy? Well, if you read enough of my posts, then maybe the latter is true, but seriously, has this happened to anyone else?

I even did this to my LuxIII/V lens holder to remove any possible interferences. Well, you might not notice it, but I cut the little plastic strips at the bottom of the lens holder off.