PDA

View Full Version : Hilt Options

cardcollector
03-21-2009, 01:28 PM
I didn't find this anywhere in the forums but I am sure it has been adressed
I'd like to know the general popularity of differing hilt designs.

Sooooooooooooo... What's your favorite hilt style and why?
It can include just looks or your favorite hilt for dueling.

Titoshi
03-21-2009, 02:03 PM
I have always liked the look of dual saber/'swords. They always remind me of my teenage years dumping quarter after quarter into Samurai Showdown. Jubei was just such an awesome character model and the ability to block with one sword and parry with the other is just so appealing, plus it is two lightsabers, you lose one, you still have another, and hopefully both hands.

Obi-Ben
03-21-2009, 02:37 PM
I like to keep it simple. One straight blade.

Darth Cipher
03-21-2009, 03:42 PM
I really like the curved hilt. I gives a little more versatility I think and more power and the hilt itself is very elegant. But dual sabers is much flashier and more difficult to defend against, if the user is good at wielding them. I think its a toss up. I might prefer fighting with two sabers myself though. How I love being ambidextrous. ;)

DJMoonbass
03-21-2009, 04:27 PM
i was torn between two singles and a double. i actually prefer double though cuz its just more bad @#$. 8) especially in the hands of Darth Maul or Exar Kun.

chase
03-22-2009, 09:01 AM
Simplicity. One hilt suits me fine.

Although...I do like a curved hilt, and a double. It depends on the user.

Kant Lavar
03-22-2009, 09:05 AM
Single straight blade. I am in no way coordinated enough to fight with anything else. :rolleyes:

Lord Preston
03-22-2009, 05:41 PM
Double bladed. It's just so.... awsome.

DJMoonbass
03-22-2009, 05:48 PM
you cant really beat a double blade. there just too cool!!! especially cuz there easy to spin and stuff8-)

Obi-Ben
03-22-2009, 07:06 PM
you cant really beat a double blade.

Sure you can. You chop it in half.

Darth Cipher
03-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Sure you can. You chop it in half.

and obi fan would say that haha

Gin Malinko
03-22-2009, 07:58 PM
i love curved hilts. i plan to make one sometime in the future. got to find a way to bend the metal that i would use...

you cant really beat a double blade

well really the thought of having two blades does sound appealing because you would think twice the killing power. but the way you beat your enemy with the double is because its a weapon not come across very much. but the over all weakness of it, is that where one blade is, you would then know exactly where the other blade is, it can only be in one location on the other side of the opposite blade. this makes you very predictable.

Kant Lavar
03-23-2009, 04:14 AM
well really the thought of having two blades does sound appealing because you would think twice the killing power. but the way you beat your enemy with the double is because its a weapon not come across very much. but the over all weakness of it, is that where one blade is, you would then know exactly where the other blade is, it can only be in one location on the other side of the opposite blade. this makes you very predictable.

Someone's been reading the Darth Bane books...

Sethski
03-23-2009, 07:21 AM
I went double, coz I like the option of long hilt/short blade or staff in the one saber. 8)

Darth Siggious
03-23-2009, 07:24 AM
two single hilts like asajj - with the option to connect them...there's no option for that on the poll so i put it down as two single hilts cuz she rolls more with the two singles than the connected one.

EDIT: I guess that counts as a curved Dooku style saber too...maybe there shold be an option for asajj's sabers...jk :)

cardcollector
03-23-2009, 08:39 AM
you cant really beat a double blade. there just too cool!!! especially cuz there easy to spin and stuff8-)

That sound like its coming from someone who's never used one.;)
You most definitly can beat a double blade. And it is very difficult to spin one effectively

Some weaknesses to the user are:
1.The hilt is very vulnerable, like obi-ben said, it can get whacked a lot because it is so big. If you don't keep the hilt moving it is an easy target.

2. Two blades are better than one? It only takes practice to make sure you don't cut your legs off, or your head for that matter.
It will happen- no matter how much you practice and is it very embarrasing!:(

3. There is also a lack of defence to the Staff saber.
It is difficult to describe but it is almost immpossible to block a thrust with it without cutting yourself as well.

That being said, there are advantages too. Like better offence, and more speed. I love using one but I'm better with a single. It is a hard weapon to master but once mastered.... ITS AWESOME!!8)

Barmic Rin
03-23-2009, 12:36 PM
I go single usually, but not too bad with a double. You just have to remember that a double doesn't actually have to have a hilt twice your normal single bladed.

My single hilt is 12.5" approx, double that is 25"!!! Ludicrous, I can use a double of around 18-20" comfortably, though the blades have to be shorter than normal length of 33", they go more like 26".

So many people don't take that into account when building.

Also, you don't need to stretch your arm out fully when using a curvey.... see too many people doing that...

Sairon
03-23-2009, 04:00 PM
I choose the curved because they look sweet, though single straight sabers are good too.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
03-23-2009, 05:39 PM
I voted for a single blade. But mainly because I'm a klutz.

I've tried using two singles at a time, but I keep accidentally hitting the sabers together, usually knocking one out of my hand.

I made a double for my nephew last year, and while it was fun to spin around, I couldn't see it being practical for me to use for combat. Once I got it spinning, it was hard to stop it to change direction.