PDA

View Full Version : Plastic MR soundboard mount.

DJMoonbass
03-17-2009, 01:07 PM
well this is my render of my mount that im going to make. this is as close to dimension as i can get as i don't have my soundboard with me. the radius will be cut to perfectly slide in and then screwd on from the outside. the lip on the top is to securly mount the motion sensor right side up. once i get to the build i'll redo the holes and everything so it will be all perfect. Any ideas anyone?

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp286/DJMoonbass/Part1-1.jpg

Lord Dottore Matto
03-17-2009, 01:56 PM
Technically, you do NOT need to mount the clash sensor (orientation makes ZERO difference). Otherwise, It looks nice.

DJMoonbass
03-17-2009, 02:12 PM
oh well. but i think the mount will work very good and keep the board out of the way and well secured. when i get the designs finished ill post the actuall draft so others can make it
:)

xl97
03-17-2009, 02:28 PM
you can also use a camera film canister..I think they work GREAT..and fit liek they were made for MHS parts.. :)

I fit a hasbro and a plecter dimmer inside one canister.. which all of what? 2+ inches?

DJMoonbass
03-17-2009, 02:33 PM
hmmm. ya that will work. but im going to make this just because i want to see how well it works. a little extra work wont be that bad. but thatnks for the suggestion. isnt MHS an ID of 1.25"

Rhyen Skytracker
03-17-2009, 02:34 PM
You can get the film canisters for free too. Just go to your local wal-mart film developing department and ask them for some 35 mm film canisters and they will give them to you.

DJMoonbass
03-17-2009, 09:03 PM
i get my plastic and metal for free at the college as well because its all for private projects which is part of the curiculum:D

FenderBender
03-17-2009, 10:42 PM
HMM......why not, I don't know, just use the cradle that the board comes in? It fits MHS like a glove and you never need to remove the board or fabricate anything.

DJMoonbass
03-18-2009, 10:47 AM
i sort of destroyed the craddle gettin the board out :-(:oops: so im just going to CNC this out this tri. i might make a few more and give them out to some people on the forums that want them.... after all its for a project and i can make 10. :cool:

DJMoonbass
03-18-2009, 01:08 PM
so i redid the prototype on the saber mount as you can see. it has holes exactly where the holes are on the board and also a 1.25" radius not 1.45" (i wasnt thinkin when i did the first render. :rolleyes:) i also threaded them with 3-48 and a 5-40 threads. this should work pretty good.

swear000
03-18-2009, 02:03 PM
looks good. I will take any extras you may have.

FenderBender
03-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Ah....I missed the part about it being for a project. Well then, that IS a fine excuse to play with machinery and make some pimp parts;)

DJMoonbass
03-19-2009, 09:10 AM
Swear000: the mounts I cnc will have a radius of 1.25" so it should work with any mhs saber. The batch should be done In about 11 weeks after I get the
Cnc mill and lathe down and when I get started on building my lightsaber!

morpheus1977
03-19-2009, 12:06 PM
I would totally use one..

DJMoonbass
03-19-2009, 12:42 PM
well theres three on my list. Ill need some specs on the Ultrasound 2.1 board so i know how to best mount it. since its plastic it should be pretty easy to screw in to. do the US have same type of motion sensors the MR boards do?

xl97
03-19-2009, 12:49 PM
you could probably use the ultrasound/battery/speaker combo part in the store to look at.

they look smilar anyways (your future part..and the stores existing one)

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MHS-speaker-mount-V3-P358.aspx
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MHS-soundspeakerbattery-combo-P359.aspx

and no,... the US & CF boards do not use the same type of motion sensors... they use an accelerometer..

DJMoonbass
03-19-2009, 12:56 PM
okay cool!. the purpose for this type of mount though is so it stays secured inside the hilt and wont be attached to the battery pack. i dont like the idea of handling it everytime i change the batteries and stuff. greater chance for damage. so it looks like ill make this work for both US and MR boards. :D

DJMoonbass
03-19-2009, 08:22 PM
for those who want it for ultrasound i need to know if that board has any holes for screwing the board on to something and where those holes are. so i can pree-drill holes on the mount. im thinkin of makin 5 for Ultrasaound and 5 for MR. what are the dimensions for Ultrasound boards?

DJMoonbass
03-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Good news! I got a two feet 1.3" diameter stock f solid Teflon so I'll be machining the first batch of three on Friday. Next week. There is the still the third left for grabs if someone wants it. PM me with your address and what board you will be mounting to. I might turn out more than three. I dunno... I'll keep everyone updated though.!

Jay-gon Jinn
03-20-2009, 02:42 PM
for those who want it for ultrasound i need to know if that board has any holes for screwing the board on to something and where those holes are. so i can pree-drill holes on the mount. im thinkin of makin 5 for Ultrasaound and 5 for MR. what are the dimensions for Ultrasound boards?

Ultrasounds are 1" x 2" and have no mounting holes in them, so I guess you'd have to use some other method for attaching them to your cradle....maybe foam mounting tape.

DJMoonbass
03-21-2009, 04:35 PM
i can make the board mount a little wider or longer and use screws on the edges with little metal tabs to hold it secure. that should work

DJMoonbass
03-23-2009, 07:17 PM
he guys. unfortunatley i wont be getting them machined this friday. it will have to be monday. ive added some more features to my design but it isnt shown. updates: for US sound the board will sink in about .250" and then held in place by metal tabs. for MR youve probably noticed alot of pointy solders on the bottom. to counter this i will mill into the mount .250" and around the holes for the screws. so those are the updates.

Jedi-Loreen
03-23-2009, 08:50 PM
I don't think metal tabs are a good idea, unless you've actually seen any of these boards to see where the components and traces are. Metal tabs could short something out.

Sairon
03-24-2009, 09:30 AM
Just get some thin plastic tabs for the US board so it doesn't short out.

DJMoonbass
03-24-2009, 04:34 PM
plastic tabs then. good idea J lo and sairon. and sorry for the double post above. ^^^ while im talking about double posting... if im posting a thread in gallery. and im doing pictures as i go should i update the origina post as i go along?

Darth Xusia
03-24-2009, 05:15 PM
I'd like one of those mounts for an MR board. I think it's a cool idea.

DJMoonbass
03-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Pm me and I'll add you to my list.

Good news. all those who wanted board mounts. ryhen, xusia, i have you down for MR and swear000 i have you down for US.
the boards will be made and shipped out on Friday of this week. i have it set up with the school attendance office that i can be excused from school that day to work in the shop all day during open shop.