PDA

View Full Version : question about the 1.25" Sink Tube LED/Blade Holder

XXShaolinXX
03-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Here is my question and it may sound stupid but here it goes. What is the outside measurement of the sink tube led/blade holder? I know its for a 1.25 sink tube and all but I'm not sure if a 1.25 sink tube is 1.25 OD or 1.25 ID. I'm in the process of building a saber and not going to be using a sink tube but was trying to figure out if I could use this piece or not.

If it won't fit my particular application what are the chances that the custom saber shop would start to carry blade holders that would fit into some of the standard size copper and alluminum pips. Lets say like 1.5 and 1.25 copper and alluminum.

Darth_DevilGuy
03-12-2009, 08:13 PM
it's made to fit into the standard 1.25 inch sinktube, I think it's like 1.20 or something.

duncan29793
03-12-2009, 08:40 PM
I am going through this same dilemma. I believe the 1.25 adaptor/bladeholder will fit the 22 gauge sinktubes vs the 20 gauge. Read that in a post guys... aren't you proud of me. Home Depot carries the 20 gauge and I checked Lowes and they had the 22. One is Commercial Grade and the other Residential I believe... again got this from reading.

I got the 22 gauge and am hoping that there isn't any variation on them.

Darth_DevilGuy
03-12-2009, 09:06 PM
should be the 22, that's thinner metal.

XXShaolinXX
03-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Well I would prefer to just order the holder however if it won't fit my current handle as is then I might just have to machine one myself. I would rather not go that way but I can get a 1ft piece of alluminum for $13 and have my father or one of my friends machine the blade holder and heat sink for me. I'm building something like the elder from ultrasabers but way different and using as many parts from TCSS as I can (electronics mostly, and hopefully the blade holder) . I have heard better things from people about TCSS over ultrasabers. If the OD of the blade holder was 1.12 inches or 1.37 it would be perfect size for what I need. I wish the demensions tab on the products actually had the demensions. I would just buy the elder from ultrasabers and alter it to what I want but the design I have hides almost all the set screws and moves the on button to a different location and the hasle of doing all of that outways making my own. I would love if TCSS would carry a more simplistic saber that you would build like the elder that ultrasabers has. That would rock.

Ideal
03-12-2009, 09:35 PM
ive got a few blade holders coming to me in a few days, if you still havnt gotten a good answer on the dimensions, ill measure one for you

XXShaolinXX
03-12-2009, 09:40 PM
I appreciate the offer and look forward to your answer Ideal.

Obi-Ben
03-13-2009, 08:39 AM
Who knew plumbing was so complicated?

xl97
03-13-2009, 12:56 PM
if you go to onlinemetals.com you can order you tubing ins specifc OD/ID sizes.. (as well as wall thickness)

I believe the 1.25 sink tube is OD measurements so plan accordingly..

Also there IS a differecne between the commercial sink tubes..

Following Jay-Gonns threads will give you a perfect example..

his brass sabers are all 'thicker' brass sink tube than normal grade.. so he has to have all his MHS parts machined down to 1.42 (I think it is).. instead of the normal 1.45 MHS parts are..

most HomeDepot/Lowes sink tube will fit over a default MHS part.. however if you plan on powder coating ..I would get the part machined down a little so it still fits in a sink tube.

Jay-gon Jinn
03-13-2009, 01:13 PM
if you go to onlinemetals.com you can order you tubing ins specifc OD/ID sizes.. (as well as wall thickness)

I believe the 1.25 sink tube is OD measurements so plan accordingly..

Also there IS a differecne between the commercial sink tubes..

Following Jay-Gonns threads will give you a perfect example..

his brass sabers are all 'thicker' brass sink tube than normal grade.. so he has to have all his MHS parts machined down to 1.42 (I think it is).. instead of the normal 1.45 MHS parts are..

It's usually 1.43, but if they need powder coating, I'll have Tim take them down to 1.42 to be certain they have a good fit.

And the 1.25" blade holder is designed to fit inside the 1.25" o.d. 22ga. residential grade sink pipes. The blade holder I have here measures 1.205" o.d. on my calipers.

xl97
03-13-2009, 01:21 PM
and there ya have it folks... LOL

Rhyen Skytracker
03-13-2009, 01:34 PM

At online metals you can't get the OD/ID you really need. The aluminum tubing that would be close to what we would need for an overlay is the same size as the brass tubing that Jay-Gon uses. Even though you have to turn down the MHS part a little, it is worth it. The aluminum tubing looks way better than sink tube overlay.

XXShaolinXX
03-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Xl97,

Thanks for the advice on the website Xl97. However this is a site I'm very familiar with and I have never seen where you can order specific thicknesses of any kind of pipe (if I'm mistaken please let me know). They do have a lot of stock sizes however none of them will work and fit just right with any of the blad holders that TCSS carries. Unless I go with a cold rolled steel pipe. As far as the thickness goes I'm needing to go to 1.12 and if thats not possible then 1.37. It doesn't seem like the handle will be very big I know. However I'm wrapping the handle in a traditional samurai katana style that will add considerable thickness to it and that is the reason I'm going as small as I am. I don't want to start out big and end up even bigger.

Jay-gon Jinn,

Thank you for the measurements. I greatly appreciate it. I talked with Tim and he said he might be able to mill a maull conversion kit (1.14) down to the 1.12 that I need.

When my saber is complete you will be hard pressed to find any screws showing of any kind. Most will be very well hidden and the ones that never ever have to come out will have bondo over them, sanded smooth and painted over.

XXShaolinXX
03-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Looks like I might be wrong on my sizes after all. I was going off of the website www.onlinemetals.com for the demensions. When I should have been checking the standard sizes of the copper pipe carried at home depot. Looks like the actual demensions are 1.245. I guess I need to do some more research on this to get the correct measurements before I have Tim mill me down something.

Obi-Ben
03-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Neat! I can make a hilt out of titanium! (Not that it's practical or I ever would--I just think it's exciting that I could, technically speaking.)

Sairon
03-13-2009, 02:13 PM
yeah, but the price tag will be large.

Rhyen Skytracker
03-13-2009, 02:24 PM
It would be a real pain to Dremel too. But, it would be cool.

Sairon
03-13-2009, 03:10 PM
There was a guy (can't remember his user name.) that was making a custom graflex out of titanium, but he never updated but from his progress pics it looked uber sick!

XXShaolinXX
03-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Once I get my saber done I will post some pictures. The overlay will not take up most of the handle. The overlay will only be towards the top mostly around the emitter with a little coming down to the handle. Very similar to the picture at the bottom of Sairons post. The original overlay was going to be in brass to imitate what the japanese would have used for the hilt of the blade. However the brass was very costly so copper was my next choice. The remainder of the handle will be covered in the traditional Japanese silk braid (ITO). It will be put on the handle in the same way as a katana. This will give the diamond pattern on the outside edge as well as give a better grip. Finally at the bottom there will be another small overlay to cover up the ends of the silk. Traditionally the silk would be tied off through a small loop at the bottom of the handle. However I have to be able to remove the end cap to put in new batteries so that wasn't an option.