PDA

View Full Version : New Idea for Grips

Darth Cyto
03-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Hello, um i am new here to the wonderful TCSS forums, and ive been wanting to make a good lightsaber hilt for a long time. so in my boredom i thought of a new way to make a grip. Heat Shrink Tubing. you just slip it on and apply heat and it tightens around your hilt.(thats what she said:D) but it feels just like rubber and you can cut it up to make different designs.

Thaxos
03-11-2009, 08:31 PM
I'm no expert, but I have used heat shrink tubing before...
Trick is finding the right size. I use it only on my robots which have wires, not tubes in heat shrink tubing. I would love to see how this turns out though.:D

Rhyen Skytracker
03-11-2009, 08:33 PM
If you can find the right size, you can put thin orings under it for a unique look.

Allaerra Secura
03-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Hello, um i am new here to the wonderful TCSS forums, and ive been wanting to make a good lightsaber hilt for a long time. so in my boredom i thought of a new way to make a grip. Heat Shrink Tubing. you just slip it on and apply heat and it tightens around your hilt.(thats what she said:D) but it feels just like rubber and you can cut it up to make different designs.

Nice idea. But not new;)

Lord Dottore Matto
03-12-2009, 02:46 AM
Heatshrink is readily available in any size up to 4" diameter. Google is your friend...and yeah, not a new idea but it is still a solid one.;)

Graphixa
03-12-2009, 03:06 AM
Haha you must have read my mind.

The handle grip concept for my double curved sabers is along this line.

O-rings on the grip area, covered by heatshirnk tube, then faced with black nappa leather, giving a soft ridged grip area!

Graf

Rhyen Skytracker
03-12-2009, 04:09 AM
The only problem is heatshrink that size is expensive.

Obi-Ben
03-12-2009, 08:55 AM
Wouldn't it also be difficult to get heatshrink that size to shrink evenly? I'd think unless it's perfect, it's going to look weird.

Jedi-Loreen
03-12-2009, 09:37 AM
Wouldn't it also be difficult to get heatshrink that size to shrink evenly? I'd think unless it's perfect, it's going to look weird.

No, it's not difficult to get it to shrink evenly.

And, you can't really cut shapes out of it. Once you make a vertical cut in a piece, when you start to heat it up to shrink it, that part will start splitting open. If you try to do curvy shapes it will curl strangely. The best you can really hope for is maybe a diagonal cut.

If you don't believe me, try it with a 1/2 " piece. I've used many types, and sizes of heat shrink tubing over the years, being and electronic technician, and assembler.

And yeah, definitely not a new idea. :p