PDA

View Full Version : DAAAAAAAANNNNnnnnnggg....

Novastar
03-11-2009, 04:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTpoAhlf3wQ

That's one of my extremely old videos. Nothing special. What I love is... so, ok, I used a TINY snippet of some stupid Prince song and... now here it is like a year later and I get thwacked with a: "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by WMG."

How awesome. Classy too! :P

The video was simply me vs. a student--again, nothing fancy. It's just amazing though--the lengths that they'll go in order to prevent ANYONE from even using 5 notes or 3 chords of Prince's music (or many other songs/musics, whatever).

Luckily, since I'm much smarter than any idiotic computer system that "identifies" music--I snuck this one by:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDjeqcjrqhE

What a bunch of jack-arses... heheheheh! :P I mean seriously. It's ONE thing to garner profit from the usage of _________'s music... it's another to make a dorky video and post it for people to see (while also giving credit).

And... really. As if all these super-star music artists do not have enough marketing and $$$$ as it is. Ridiculous.

swear000
03-11-2009, 04:52 AM
hrm...those video links don't seem to be working.

Novastar
03-11-2009, 01:30 PM
If you read what I was saying, Swear... you'd realize that was the point I posted the first video link. It was removed: "...due to a copyright claim by WMG."

Jay-gon Jinn
03-11-2009, 01:34 PM
So how long ago did you post it, nova? It sounds they took a looong time to find it....and i have to agree on the whole "enough money" thing....they have billions, and we have if we're lucky, 1,000's.....

Obi-Ben
03-11-2009, 01:55 PM
This kind of nonsense will only lead to a migration of content away from YouTube leading to its obsolescence and eventual downfall when it falls out of the public's favor.

beggarsoutpost
03-11-2009, 02:13 PM
I put together a Star Wars music video using a Sting song... They tagged me as well but they were willing to let it stay up if I accepted advertising on my page....Something about the use of the content not being objectionable to BMG...

Obi-Ben
03-11-2009, 02:15 PM
"You can listen to our music, but you can't enjoy it."

Darth_DevilGuy
03-11-2009, 02:26 PM
it's not so much youtube or even WMG going after individuals here, youtube makes it's money off of add revenue, your content is generating the traffic they use to draw add revenue, so when you use something that belongs to WMG in one of your video's and it generates add revenue for youtube, you've now opened up youtube to being sued for copyright infringement because they're now profiting from the distribution of copyrighted material.

at least that's how it works under the current legal system, IMO it's an interesting illustration of how our laws haven't caught up the reality of an world that's now largely online. Our copyright laws are based on the idea that in order to reproduce something you have to reproduce physical copies and the violations are largely enforceable only in cases where physical copies are being reproduced in large enough numbers to need actual facilities to produce it, with digital media it's practically impossible to contain any piece of information that gains any sort of popularity.

This was illustrated quite handily by wikileaks last year when they came under suit from a swiss bank after publishing details of money laundering going through them. Though a california judge agreed that the bank had the right to protect its information he dismissed the case because the information was hosted on literally hundreds of websites under equally numerous owners, and that it was beyond the ability of the court to enforce any ruling that would actually do anything.

Novastar
03-12-2009, 02:27 AM
Excellent point, DarthDevil... I couldn't have said it any better.

And BeggarsOut... I only wish they at least offered something like that, lol. Do some kind of ad or whatever. Like I care if it was there, and like it would really generate revenue for Prince.

But seriously... another thing is:

* I sometimes see video with no sound that says the sound was infringement.
* That video can at least be seen
* Mine was simply removed. Period.

Also... if I just substitute in one of their retardo montalban "free use" music tracks or whatever... well... there goes all the saber sounds from the sabers. Nice.

Lame.

swear000
03-12-2009, 05:52 AM
Sorry for the misunderstanding. Do you remember the "Star Wars cappella" tribute. Something similar happened to the creator of that video and WMG pulled it. Well look at this video for further explanation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj1CwCMQhm4&annotation_id=annotation_473899&feature=iv

hope it helps

Novastar
03-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Funny that you ask that...

Corey is in the U.S. right now (probably arrived today)... I will likely be meeting up with him. That's all I will say for now...

Obi-Ben
03-13-2009, 02:00 PM
I wish I was popular on the internet so I would be hired for cool things...