PDA

View Full Version : The Lightsaber

Darth Siggious
03-10-2009, 10:58 PM
Best Weapon Ever?

Well, times have been difficult as of late and I'm trying to keep it positive, I'm sure a lot of us are, so of course we go back to the small things in life to look for some comfort and humor. So naturally, I started thinking about how awesome lightsabers are and how unbelievably bad*** of a weapon it is. How rad it sounds when you turn it on and off, how cool your neighbors think you are when they see the lights flashing and swinging around at 1:40am on a Tuesday (haha :p)

So all of this obviously lead to questions like, could a lightsaber cut Superman? Or would he just grab it and punch said attacker in the face? Perhaps it'd just burn him and all he'd need is just a visit to the dry cleaner after the "fight". Dude's good, but who knows?

And how nasty would it be to bring a lightsaber to a zombie apocalypse? No contest. Well what about the scared civilians runnin' around guns a blazin'? Could a lightsaber stop a bullet? Would it melt the bullet? Would a Jedi or Sith Master be fast enough to thwart such an attack? Someone once told me they thought the blaster shots were slower than bullets...they may appear so, but aren't they more powerful than a bullet? You'd think so, I do, I assume, well ok, I suppose I don't really know.

But anyway, big question, no right or wrong answer, lightsaber, best personal weapon ever?

Eco
03-11-2009, 12:06 AM
YES.
The only thing that could possibly be better would be the Iron Man suit, or a nano-transformer to carry sabers in. (Disregard that last one if you've never played Phantasy Star Universe)

In the EU, there's literature on Saber Vs. Slugs (a.k.a. bullets). The saber can block some bullets by instantly converting them into a gaseous state, but most slugs are too big to be vaporized instantly, so then you've got a bunch of molten slag coming at you. Frankly more painful than the freakin' bullet in the first place.

And, psh, no. Superman fails against a saber. Adegan or Ilum crystals are also known as Kryptonite. Everyone knows that. :roll::wink:

Ideal
03-11-2009, 06:23 AM
based on the damage we've seen a saber do, i think you could possibly hurt superman with one. now all you have to do is actually attack him with it...

DJMoonbass
03-11-2009, 07:30 AM
rock... paper.... LIGHTSABER! lightsaber beats everything. the only thing better would be personal Optumis Prime

DragonStar
03-11-2009, 07:52 AM
Superman can fly through the center of a star. I think he could handle a lightsaber.:)

ArkaiHalon
03-11-2009, 08:07 AM
Superman can fly through the center of a star. I think he could handle a lightsaber.:)

Wise you are. very wise.

xl97
03-11-2009, 08:18 AM
I would think it for sure could stop a bullet.. (if it can stop/deflect lasers).. ;)

I would also think a laser is much faster than a bullet.. (ie: speed of light..)

Superman is only faster than a speeding bullet..not a laser. :) LOL

Although hes one tough SOB.. and I doubt a saber woudl really 'hurt him'.. I think hes only really vulnerable to magic..no? (and kryptonite of course)

Rhyen Skytracker
03-11-2009, 10:21 AM
A saber can deflect a blaster, because it is an energy beam like another lightsaber is. It would have to melt a bullet, just like a lightsaber would burn through a blast door. As for Superman, why not just give him a lightsaber with a crystal that deflects Kryptonite and then no one could ever beat him.

ArkaiHalon
03-11-2009, 10:53 AM
ok, are we talking Pre Crisis Superman or Post Crisis Superman?

Pre Crisis Superman could fly faster than light, move planets, reverse time (see Superman I and II the Donner cut).

Post Crisis Superman can fly at roughtly Mach 6, bench press 100 tons, and...

Who am I kidding. My money is still on Big Blue. See, in the Star Wars universe, Kal El is Mandalorian for "Able to withstand a Lightsaber"

Rhyen Skytracker
03-11-2009, 11:02 AM
We have WAY TO MUCH TIME on our hands. LOL

chase
03-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Superman is a cheap sob. I never liked him because he is just TOO much.

How about this. Superman VS. a Jedi or Sith?

Of course Superman is stronger, but the Jedi or Sith could just see his attacks coming and take advantage.

DJMoonbass
03-11-2009, 12:02 PM
We have WAY TO MUCH TIME on our hands. LOL I know i do!!! i wore my Jedi robe to school today. I woke up and i was like.... im going Jedi today.

Obi-Ben
03-11-2009, 12:19 PM
A lightsaber by itself isn't that great of a weapon. Unless in this fantasy the force is real and you can use it, you would be better off with a gun.

Darth Siggious
03-11-2009, 12:43 PM
ok, are we talking Pre Crisis Superman or Post Crisis Superman?

Haha, which one of the Crises are you referring to? Infinite Earths I assume? Lately this seems to be DC's way to bring their 60+ years of continuity back to something tangible, and with all of the comics that came out (in the last 2 years alone) with "Crisis" in the title, I honestly stopped caring about DC. It was as if the word was interchangeable with every DC title to hit the shelves. Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, The Final Infinite Ultimate Crisis on Infinite Earths in Crisis...(Although DC's Green Lantern/Sinestro Corps war had some stellar writing and artwork, so I guess I haven't given up on them entirely.)

The Big Blue Boy Scout was always meant to be the top dog, though I think Dark Phoenix could have smashed him up pretty good. I mean Doomsday beat Superman, but no one could beat the Dark Phoenix except the Phoenix itself.

Here's another interesting question...Is the Force (or the ability to use it) a Superpower?

Rhyen Skytracker
03-11-2009, 12:45 PM
A lightsaber by itself isn't that great of a weapon. Unless in this fantasy the force is real and you can use it, you would be better off with a gun.

In this fantasy, of course the force is real. You just can't kick but with a lightsaber alone, you must also use the force.

swear000
03-11-2009, 01:27 PM
you can tie a piece of plastic fishing line to the covertec clip on your lightsaber hilt and thread it through your shirt. Then you can pull the string by extending your arm and the lightsaber hilt will come to your hand with your newly acquired "force" power. Still working on an idea for that electricity through the fingertips...

Darth Leximus
03-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Superman and Star Wars at in a state of constant battling in my mind for the best things ever created. So I must play devil's advocate and ask what I thought would be an obvious question...

Lightsaber using Kryptonite as a focusing gem VS. The Man of Steel

I lean towards the saber, but then I remember how many other times Kal came up against impossible odds involving kryptonite and came out a winner...I'm torn!!

Obi-Ben
03-11-2009, 02:36 PM
How could a blaster bolt be slower than a bullet fired from a conventional firearm? Bullets are extremely slow when compared to everything that goes fast in Star Wars.

Darth Siggious
03-11-2009, 03:02 PM
How could a blaster bolt be slower than a bullet fired from a conventional firearm? Bullets are extremely slow when compared to everything that goes fast in Star Wars.

My argument to the friend that told me this was that it would appear that way because you can see the blaster bolt (the streak from it) and that would create the illusion that it was moving slowly. You can't really see a bullet or the "wake" from it so it would appear that it was moving faster.

But I agree that the blaster bolt should be faster and more powerful than say, "a speeding bullet and a locomotive" haha ;) ;) ...after all the technology in Star Wars is, for the most part, more advanced than ours.

ArkaiHalon
03-11-2009, 03:37 PM
My argument to the friend that told me this was that it would appear that way because you can see the blaster bolt (the streak from it) and that would create the illusion that it was moving slowly. You can't really see a bullet or the "wake" from it so it would appear that it was moving faster.

But I agree that the blaster bolt should be faster and more powerful than say, "a speeding bullet and a locomotive" haha ;) ;) ...after all the technology in Star Wars is, for the most part, more advanced than ours.

Kryptonian Technology for the win.

I'm with Lex, Superman and Star Wars are my two favorite "american folktales"

Thaxos
03-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Lightsaber hands down. If it comes to the fact that a bullet it headed your way, I'm pretty sure you can use the Force to stop it.
Also, the physics behind Superman flying through the sun are bogus.
In the sun, you have hydrogen atoms being fused into helium. He'd be squished and then his atoms would be "pwned".

$tarkiller
03-11-2009, 04:38 PM
I'd say lightsaber. But about the bullet, It depends on what kind of bullet it was, and how far away, what size, etc. If we sat me 2 feet in front of Obi, qui-gon, or maybe even yoda, I personally don't tink that they would be able to block ANY type of bullet. If I were to be 40 yards away, and fire a gun, they POSSIBLY could be able to block it. But going back to the saber, you don't have to be a Jedi or Sith to use a saber. Boba Fett used one against Vader in a cantine while they both were going after Solo. Fett's resistance was futile, but it shows that even a Mando can use a saber. So it's all a matter of opinion. But I vote saber.

ArkaiHalon
03-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Also, the physics behind Superman flying through the sun are bogus.
In the sun, you have hydrogen atoms being fused into helium. He'd be squished and then his atoms would be "pwned".

as opposed to the physics of the lightsaber.

FenderBender
03-11-2009, 10:19 PM
A blaster bolt would appear to go slower cause you can see the "trail" it leaves behind. Just like firing a tracer round ( which is damn fun and way cool BTW) the bullet goes too fast for you to see, but you can see the trail left by the phosphoric compound on the bullet.

As for the Lightsaber VS boy blue, I dunno. If there was a Jedi master or Sith Lord weilding it, it might be close. Force powers give things like precognition and super speed, which would be handy against a Kryptonian. At least it would help even the playing field. The idea of the kryptonite crystal would be a cool advantage.

Heres another question: Could the saber deflect/stop Superman's eye blasts?

Darth Siggious
03-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Heres another question: Could the saber deflect/stop Superman's eye blasts?

Haha, now we're going somewhere...somewhere awesome, and Fender's got the wheel.

Those eye blasts are pretty powerful, but sabers do "absorb" a good deal of lightning blasts in most of the movies/films/comics...it would be damn cool to see. You think the blasts would bounce back at Big Blue or the saber would just absorb them?

What about the Ice Breath, what's a Master of the Force got on that?

ArkaiHalon
03-12-2009, 06:08 AM
Superman's heat vision is an interesting query, as it's not a blaster bolt (charged Tibanna gas), nor is it lightening (electrical energy), but instead it is a complex manipulation of microwave energy. In fact, his heat vision is invisible, only occasionally drawn or visualized for effect. So could it be blocked by a saber? I think that it could be, up to a certain point, but if Supes was to let it lose, as he did during his fight with Doomsday which is the only time his heat vision was "officially" visible as a MASSIVE beam, I think the saber would be useless.

Kryptonite Saber. This would be interesting. But as some have pointed out, how many times has Supes avoided death by Kryptonite. I think a saber that could mimic a Red Sun would be more potent against the Man of Steel.

Taking Ice Breath into the scenario, I think again, the saber would be useless, as the blast would flow around the saber. Possible even freeze the saber.

Kryptonian speed v Jedi speed. The advantage again goes to the Kryptonian, who will have a deeper reserve of energy, and not tire as quickly as the Force Wielder.

Where the advantages will go to the Jedi or Sith,

1.They are willing/wanting to kill. Superman has only killed 3 people in his entire run (doomsday doesn't count), and that was only after they had massacred an entire planet. It haunts his nightmares decades later. He's not willing to take a life. A Jedi or Sith are.

2. Combat knowledge. As much as I idolize Superman, he's not much of a combat saavy kind of guy. Punch, punch, heat vision. He lacks the intricate combat knowledge and training that Jedi and Sith have.

3. Superman, Super Emotions. Supes can be lose his cool. A sith would feed off that, and a Jedi would remain calm and capitlize on Superman's loss of focus.

Overall, I think it would be a interesting battle, one I hope we never have to witness. Unless it's Superman joining the Jedi in an ultimate showdown against the sith. With his own lightsaber and blue and red Jedi robes

Yeah, i'm a nerd.

Obi-Ben
03-12-2009, 08:02 AM
Superman can take out an entire army without breaking a sweat. Even the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy weren't able to fend off a squad of clone troopers when they turned on them. Jedi are fast and strong and powerful, but they can't hold a candle to the powers of Superman. No contest.

Darth Siggious
03-12-2009, 08:10 AM
:-P
Yeah, i'm a nerd.

Pretty sure we all are...big time.

I dig Superman, for real, BUT naturally, I've always put dudes from other universes up against him (hypothetically) to see how he'd adapt to a particular enemy.

For example, could Superman break Wolverine's adamantium coated bones? Cyber broke that S*** back in the day when we first found out that Wolvie actually had bone claws underneath that adamantium, but Cyber had adamantium mesh arms...and Wolverine had no adamantium at that time, thanks to Magneto.

Superman Vs. Thor? The God of Thunder, powers immeasuarable. George Perez gave us a glimpse into this matchup in the JLA vs. Avengers comic that, well, ended poorly I think.

The one where I think Superman would lose every time, is Dark Phoenix. This chick vaporized an entire solar system and 5 billion people by devouring their sun, D'Bari. I mean she was on a higher level than Galactus at that point, her ability to destroy the entire Universe was realized by the Shi'ar, and their plan, Plan Omega, was to destroy the entire solar system to bring her down. That's pretty heavy. I'm glad Plan Omega never happened, they were on our Moon. :shock: :p

Eh, maybe Supes walks away from this too, but I'm pretty sure that they'd be the last two standing in a big battle brawl.

ArkaiHalon
03-12-2009, 08:33 AM
Supes v Dark Phoenix, I'd have to agree that my man would walk out the loser on that one. as much as that pains me to say

$tarkiller
03-12-2009, 10:01 AM
Well, you have to remember that Galactus was nothing without the surfer. The surfer is the one that scouted and got the planets ready for Galactus's arrival, and you see how easily the surfer killed Galactus. I would'nt even compare him with Dark Pheonix. I'd have to agree with Ark- Superman vs. Dark pheonix = Superman pwn'd. I'd love to see Jedi or even Superman fight Primus. I think that would be a great fight, seeing as how Primus is a planet. And therefore Mechanical, so even a jedi couldnt feed off of it's force signature. But point is, I'd love to see Primus vs. Superman.

Darth Siggious
03-12-2009, 11:42 AM
I would'nt even compare him with Dark Pheonix.

Exactly, before the Dark Phoenix's "arrival" Galactus was the biggest threat to the Marvel Universe, and we all saw how handily the Surfer had dealt with him, even the FF stood him up, and Doom himself punked him, but Jean had become something greater than anyone could have ever imagined.

So now that their big threat of Galactus seemed paltry, Lilandra, Gladiator and the rest of the Shi'ar Empire were forced to act now to stop her. And to this day, I still think it's so RAD that the Omega Plan was to just blow up the whole solar system, like including Earth, so goodbye 1407 Graymalkin Lane, Baxter Building, Stark Tower, and all the Marvel Super Heroes we know and love.

My one gripe is that she didn't kill Cyclops when she had the chance. Being a Wolvie fan for over 20 years now, I've obviously come to despise Scott. He's got a great power, but he's super lame, and his father, Corsair, real lame too. The rest of the Summers family is pretty awesome though. Havok - sick power. And Vulcan wasn't that bad (if you read the Deadly Genesis spinoff where the third Summers brother is revealed).

ArkaiHalon
03-12-2009, 11:52 AM
I always liked Cyclops. he's got such a tragic power. Unlimited offensive capablity, hindered by the fact that he will never be able to look at his love, his children "with his own...eyes"

Thaxos
03-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Superman can take out an entire army without breaking a sweat. Even the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy weren't able to fend off a squad of clone troopers when they turned on them. Jedi are fast and strong and powerful, but they can't hold a candle to the powers of Superman. No contest.

An army, not a clone army!
I think we should pit Supes against a clone army, and then revise that outcome.

ArkaiHalon
03-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Supes v Clone Army

Lessee,
blaster fire, no effect.
Heavy Cannon fire, no effect
Thermal Detonator, no effect

Heat Vision Blast, melted clone armor
Freeze breath, Clonecicles
Super strength, Broken Clone Armor

And the Red S wins again.

morpheus1977
03-12-2009, 01:04 PM
its been said once already but I will say it again we have WAY!!!! to much free time LOL

Obi-Ben
03-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Let's start a new topic: Unicron vs. the Death Star

$tarkiller
03-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Unicron hands down. Unicron IS cybertron, and cybertron is mechanical, and think of this. it has itty-bitty little tinie-tiny transformers to do it's work. In other words, pwn the death star. Going back to Dark Pheonix. I still wouldn compare S to dark pheonix because she is just so muche more badass.

Kant Lavar
03-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Lightsabers are cool and all... but if I had to pick my favorite weapons system ever... I'd have to go with a [url=http://www.sarna.net/wiki/BattleMech]BattleMech[/i]. Yeah, sure I'm certian, given a chance, a Jedi could deal with a 'Mech, but there's just something inherently awesome about stomping around in 100 tons of pure destruction.

$tarkiller
03-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Or, a personal Constructicon, maybe? Or a Gundam? Preferably Deathscythe H-e-l-l.

Zero Unit
03-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Ugh, mechs, gross.

Give me a Combine Overwatch Standard Issue...nothing has ever been mentioned about a lightsaber deflecting dark-energy blasts...:p

Novastar
03-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Lightsabers are cool and all... but if I had to pick my favorite weapons system ever... I'd have to go with a [url=http://www.sarna.net/wiki/BattleMech]BattleMech[/i]. Yeah, sure I'm certian, given a chance, a Jedi could deal with a 'Mech, but there's just something inherently awesome about stomping around in 100 tons of pure destruction.You *MAY* quasi-have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too on BOP III then, Kant... :)

That's all I'm gonna say.