PDA

View Full Version : Ergonomics and practicality of the rubber grip strips

Obi-Ben
03-09-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm starting a new thread on this topic because the discussion I want to have is not simply about attaching the rubber grip strips.

But as I said here (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=6351), one of my possible hilt design utilizes the custom formed rubber grip set, however the size and functionality of the strips (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/6-Piece-notched-rubber-grip-set-36-P371.aspx) concerns me.

I have questions about two things, the first being about the double female with milled slots (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Double-female-with-milled-slots-P300.aspx) MHS part. I can't tell by this picture where the grooves are. They appear too thin to accomodate the curved base of the rubber grip strips. Is there a cross-section photo of this part so I could see how it would fit together? Is the inside diameter of that piece the same as the plain extension pieces?

The second group of questions is regarding the ergonomics of those rubber grips. I'm making this for combat, not just looks, so those of you who have hilts with those rubber grips, what do you think? Do they stick out too much? When you hold the gripped part in your hands, is it too thick and fat? Do the grips hurt your hands? Do they have some give to them or are they stiff and rigid? And do they stay securely in place?

Jedi-Loreen
03-09-2009, 09:51 AM
I have questions about two things, the first being about the double female with milled slots (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Double-female-with-milled-slots-P300.aspx) MHS part. I can't tell by this picture where the grooves are. They appear too thin to accomodate the curved base of the rubber grip strips. Is there a cross-section photo of this part so I could see how it would fit together? Is the inside diameter of that piece the same as the plain extension pieces?

The milled slots are actually for spacers or dividers. The rubber grip strips fit on the wider, smooth areas between the slots.

Did you read the description under the picture?

"The slots are designed to have the grip dividers we sell installed into them via glue or JB weld.

They are also designed so that the grip set we sell can be installed between the milled slots."

Strydur
03-09-2009, 09:53 AM
The double female with milled slots is being redesigned. Instead of having inserts to put in the grooves it will all be machined as one solid piece. We will have a 6 and 7 grip design.

swear000
03-09-2009, 10:01 AM
the double female with the milled slots is an interesting piece. I got mine a while back with some metal strips to JB weld into them. I am not sure if Tim still sells them but he may know where to get them.

the black ANH grip set looks great and has a nice sticky backing. It looks good on a saber. However, due to it's stiffness and that it is only held on by glue, I would recommend against using it for dueling. Some people have added additional screws to the opposite end which, logically, would improve durability.

Seen in the following work by mikeclem:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w56/mikeclem_photos/S4020978.jpg

Rhyen Skytracker
03-09-2009, 10:23 AM
If you are going to fight alot with it, I would suggest a thinner type of grip or just use grooves cut in aroud the hilt for a grip.

DJMoonbass
03-09-2009, 10:48 AM
in my opinion the grips like those feel to uncomfortable and limit mobility when you are doing tricks. but what ever you like is what you should totally go for.

Obi-Ben
03-09-2009, 11:58 AM
The milled slots are actually for spacers or dividers. The rubber grip strips fit on the wider, smooth areas between the slots.

Did you read the description under the picture?

"The slots are designed to have the grip dividers we sell installed into them via glue or JB weld.

They are also designed so that the grip set we sell can be installed between the milled slots."

Yeah, I saw the description, but since I didn't see the dividers in the store, I didn't know exactly what it meant. And now I know! Sort of. Well, at least I know that it's not what I was thinking/hoping it was. Maybe Tim can make a version that has wider grooves machined in so the grip strips sit inside. That way they will be straight, won't stick out as much, and probably stay in place better.

Obi-Ben
03-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Like this:

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/236/sketch.png

Jay-gon Jinn
03-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Maybe Tim can make a version that has wider grooves machined in so the grip strips sit inside. That way they will be straight, won't stick out as much, and probably stay in place better.
That is exactly what Tim ws referring to in his post.....

The double female with milled slots is being redesigned. Instead of having inserts to put in the grooves it will all be machined as one solid piece. We will have a 6 and 7 grip design.

Mat Katarn
03-09-2009, 06:44 PM
hey ben. here's my thoughts. now i'm no guru when it comes to advanced hilt building, but did do martial arts for about 7 years and became a fairly big sword enthusiast. my point is that, in my opinion, function should follow form. not visa versa.

i HAVE a saber with a tcss grip set and it will only ever be a show piece and something cool to look at. now remember, this is just me. i respect a cool design, but if it is not practical, i'm not a fan.

i look forward to seeing your work and wish you nothing but the best

Tradeliphine
03-09-2009, 07:18 PM
I posted this in another thread, but if you go to lowes and look at their aluminum door thresholds they come with little strips of rubber weatherstripping, they have all different shapes, textures and widths that make awesome grips, and almost all of them are softer/lower profile than the hard rubber T grips, I found one model that comes with a Piece the basically looks like the T grips with a loop around the top of the T, then I just cut that loop off and have lower profile, softer rubber, charcoal gray grips for my graflex, check out that aisle with the thresholds, youll be suprised how many neat grip ideas you get