PDA

View Full Version : Standard or Gold...

bigbret50
03-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Well with the graflex replica "shells" in the store I couldn't resist the temptation to buy one. Now my question...

What do you all recomend is "cooler" Constructing the standard Graflex Replica or a "Golden" (brass) Graflex replica. I am somewhat torn between the two.

(If anyone has an photos of a Golden Graflex that they have done I would love to see them. I am thinking about leaning that way.)

Rasser
03-03-2009, 12:05 PM
I think a brass version would be pretty awesome Ive caught the brass bug from looking at all of Jay-gon's beautiful sabers.

FenderBender
03-03-2009, 12:09 PM
The recent contest we did at Judgsabersmith involved Graflex's and I did a brass one. Its in the Graflex gallery here: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=678&page=2

Mine is titled "Perseverence" and uses a vintage Graflex that was de-chromed and polished. I wish that Tim had those replica bodies when I was working on mine, I wouldn't have used the vintage like that. Oh well........

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q169/AJFenderBender/075-1.jpg

xl97
03-03-2009, 03:45 PM
gold..hands down! :)

bigbret50
03-03-2009, 04:00 PM
I saw yours Fender in the graflex photo section. (nice piece of work as always) I am going to go for a closer replica rather than an inspired one though.

DJMoonbass
03-03-2009, 04:26 PM
I got my inspiration for brass from Jay Gons as well. Brass gives the hilt a more elegant shine to it. That saber above is awsome. So brass all the way.

Swordlord
03-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Both. Nostalgia requires the use of a Graflex or decent replica thereof. Elegance and originality demands the brass, or 'gold' as it's referred to here.

Real gold would be too soft, of course (as well as costing five figures).

A sterling silver hilt is much more doable, but would be heavier than any other metal currently in use, and of course very, very expensive.

Hmm...perhaps saber #5...

Rhyen Skytracker
03-03-2009, 10:25 PM
I really like the brass also. I just made one with alot of brass overlays and a solid brass pommel. It is called Halo V2. Go with the brass.

Lord Dottore Matto
03-04-2009, 11:24 AM
I have one of the brass replicas...meh...stick with the classic aluminum.;)

xl97
03-04-2009, 11:33 AM
why arent stoked on it? give us the 'review' ;)

FenderBender
03-04-2009, 10:35 PM
I bought one of the brass ones too, I gotta say its dead on accurate and will actually polish NICER the than the vintage one I had. The vintage one is obiously old and the brass had "pits" in it that were filled with the copper undercoat before the chrome plating was applied. When I took the chrome off of the vintage it left little copper specs behind that couldn't be sanded or polished out. luckily it looks good though.

Onli-Won Kanomi
03-05-2009, 12:19 AM
I've got a Golden Graflex ANH hilt I bought from King Of Parts...I think its absolutely drop dead gorgeous and the mirror polished brass body contrasts very nicely with the silver G-clamp and accents and the black grips...and the brass somehow also cures the "flashgun look"...the [cinematic] first lightsaber that mesmerized me in 77 is at it's most beautiful [imo] in a Jedi Master 'electrum' looking finish, and if I'm ever lucky enough to win the CF4 'timing lottery' [-sigh-] thats the saber that its going into, along with a cyan/cyan/white tri-rebel, crystal chassis if I can get one and Corbin show blade.

Sairon
03-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Geeze, when will you ever learn...............You have to do both! Duh, you got to do both.