PDA

View Full Version : Ok First Post

jackal
02-28-2009, 01:57 AM
Been here a couple weeks and well first post.
Just spent 3 hrs last night carving out a sink tube with a dremel (ahhh Love insomina) and now Im hooked. So I just made my first purchase

Screw on LED blade holder style 10
4-40nylon 4-40 Nylon Screw
3100C Copper MHS LED Mount/Heatsink
holder10 Body for holder 10
Shilt2 Double threaded hilt style 2
MHSChoke MHS choke style 1
MPSI4 MPS Insert style 4
MPS2 MPS Pommel style 2
switch14 SPST Latching Guarded switch with blue button
4AAMHS 4AA battery holder
Coll5 Luxeon Collimator Lens 5 deg viewing angle
Holder Luxeon III/V Lens Holder
Lux3-Blue Luxeon III Star (Blue)
2.2ohm5w 2.2ohm 5w resistor

Since my Sink tube last night was beta test v1.1 this will be beta test v1.2 and eventully end up final product. I will order a blade at a later date first see if I can get it put together without messing up the MHS parts. (I want to use a sink tube to slide over the MHS to use as a emitter shroud.) Also I got a buddy who owns a machine shop so I plan on countersinking all my screws to give it a flush appearance. The wiring shouldnt be a problim in my former career I did control work on robotics so this should be a cake walk. Thinking about going to Radio Shack and getting a solid blue and blinking red accent LED's. I do have some questions about where to find info on the forum on the following topics:

The chrome on the sink tube how can I give it a weathered appearance I was thinking of soaking it in Muretic acid. but dont want to tear up the brass.

Where do I get the thickness dimentions of the MHS parts like I said I would like to countersink all my screws but not sure if that is a viable option.

Next project after this I would like to do an arcaic lightsaber with a belt worn external power supply with cable to the hilt. Thats when weathered arcaic appearance is going to seriously count. But thats a 1000 meter target Im going to focus on the 50m anyways stay tuned Ill keep yall updated.

Now if only I can wear the lightsaber on my duty belt and try the Jedi mind trick on speeders.

Jay-gon Jinn
02-28-2009, 07:23 AM
Most of the MHS parts, like the hilt bodies and 2"-7" extensions have a sidewall thinkness of .2". Not much room for C'sinking the screws and still maintaining the thread integrity. There are topics here about weathering brass, copper and aluminum, but I'm not sure there's one with weathering the chrome sink tubes.

The archaic lightsaber has been done, and there's a topic around here some where made by member Arkai Halon....he did one awhile ago that turned very nice.

Oh, and welcome to TCSS, and you're new addiction! ;)

Lord Preston
02-28-2009, 07:42 AM
Welcome to the fourms, enjoy your stay.:cool:

Sairon
02-28-2009, 09:47 AM
welcome to your new addiction, and to weather a crome tube is like weatering any other rube.

Lord Dottore Matto
02-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Excellent first post! Welcome and do make sure to search for Arkai's EL relic saber.

Jedi-Loreen
02-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Welcome. :)

I don't see the MPS clip on your purchase list. I don't know if they are still out of stock, but you will need that to hold your insert inside your pommel.

jackal
02-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Cool Thanks Mucho. THat Protosaber is awesome. Will defently look into that. As for the missing items looks like my order has already been put together so I will just order the clip when I order the blade. I just wish I got the expediant shipping cause I got to go out of town next week and it would be great to work on it in my hotel.

Rhyen Skytracker
02-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Welcome to the forum. You will end up spending all your spare time either here or actually building sabers. lol

cardcollector
03-01-2009, 06:48 AM
Welcome to the forum. You will end up spending all your spare time either here or actually building sabers. lol

So very true....

pick_ett
03-01-2009, 08:26 AM
I'm brand new, haven't even ordered anything yet, but ready to get started. I like the idea of the old external battery packs. I plan on doing one of those too.

jackal
03-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Really looking forward to getting started. Love the UPS tracking info. I feel bad for writing a speeding ticket to the UPS guy last week now. If it had been my parts in his truck Id be "you better be hitting 90!" The suspense is killing me. Schedual delevery day is the 6th my birthday is the 5th so hopefully its early.

Obi-Wan Stromboli
03-26-2009, 10:23 AM
What is this?
MPSI4 MPS Insert style 4
Thanks in advance.

Jedi-Loreen
03-26-2009, 10:47 AM
It's just what it says in the Store :rolleyes::

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Assets/ProductImages/164_6461.jpg

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Assets/ProductImages/164_6468.jpg

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MPS-Insert-style-4-P232.aspx

Now do you feel dumb for asking? :p