PDA

View Full Version : Switch question

Zhi-don
04-07-2006, 03:49 PM
I bought a switch sometime ago from a now defunct lightsaber building company. This switch is different from most of my other switches although outwardly looks the same.

The difference. When this switch is off and you touch it or gently hold it without turning it on, the blade lights up.

When it is turned on, touching the switch does nothing, the blade doesn't wink out.

Most of the other switches I have do just the opposite, including those on most parksabers. Do you have this type of switch and exactly what is it called compared to the normal switches?

I prefer this switch for dueling, because if you accidently touch the button the blade doesn't wink off. You have to actually push the switch to make the blade go off.

Zhi-don Aquintas
XO RL Sunrider Base
Treasurer/Head Instructor
Lightsaber training OCSWS

GreytaleNovastar1138
04-17-2006, 04:35 PM
I can't answer exactly what switch you have, since I cannot see it, nor test it.

What I can tell you is that there are both momentary and latching switches, some are SPST (single pole, single throw), and others have double-throws (and double poles, etc.).

If you already knew that, great... but if you want good switches for duelling, search for switches on mouser.com or apem.com, etc. Also for good duelling:

1. Switches that are recessed (more flush with hilt or grip) are better.
2. Smallest switches are usually best.
3. To use FX boards, you must have a latching switch.

Whether or not you use a latching switch or a momentary really doesn't make a big difference for duel-ability... although (most) latching pushbutton switches may be better since once they are depressed, the button is "lower" than normal, and therefore harder to press.

Hope it helps. I'm currently looking at good, small recessed switches as well.

** The Cutting Edge **
http://www.thecuttingedge.s5.com
----
"No. Try not. DO... or do not. There is no 'try'..." -- Jedi Master Yoda, ESB
"Well... if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that is farthest from..." -- Luke, ANH

Zhi-don
04-18-2006, 07:37 AM
Wow! Thanks. The switch type is one that is offered here in the shop. At least it looks like it. I was only wondering what the one I described was called, so I can order more. A switch that looks like the one on Obi-wan's EP1-2 saber [the red one] is what I am really looking for. I am using the guts out of a MR saber, so a switch that operates their electronics is what I need. Any ideas on that?

Zhi-don Aquintas
XO RL Sunrider Base

james3
04-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Get the switch in the store and then go to Lowes or Home Depot and pick up the red screw cover and glue that on the head of your switch and ya got a great Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon red switch.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes. I will do what I must." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Zhi-don
04-18-2006, 01:17 PM
What switch cover is that? And where in Lowes do I find it. The major problem is that I don't know what kind of switch I have [see above discription] If anyone knows what it is called let me know. It looks like the ones here in the shop, but exactly what type?

Zhi-don Aquintas
XO RL Sunrider Base

james3
04-18-2006, 01:59 PM
I am going over tonight or tomorrow morning, I'll post the part # for you.

A pic of the switch would probally help a bit, but I have used several switches from tim's store and I have not had any winking problems. From you description it would seem you have a well built latching switch, most likely spst(does it have just 2 contact points or wires?) Something along the lines of Maglite, you can depress about halfway and get a connection or depress untill it locks and it is latched, Tim's switches are the same concept but if there is any winking it would be due to the fitting inside the switch so you could buy 10 switches and 8 are tight and wonderful and 2 are a little loose and wink.

Hope that helps.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes. I will do what I must." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

wood7588
04-18-2006, 03:35 PM
If I am reading Zhi-don's post correctly the 'winking' he mentioned is not a defect in the switch but how the switch is made. The wink happens when the switch is latched on and you push the button in partially by accident. The switch will turn off but not unlatch much like the switch will turn on from the off position if the button is depressed partially. I have noticed this with my sabers as well(they use tims spst switches). On one the switch is to close to the grip and my fat fingers keep hitting it when I change hands or holds. unfortunatly I dont know of any switches that stay on until they are fully depressed and released.

Zhi-don
04-19-2006, 06:21 AM
Ok.....I must be getting this message across wrong.

The switch is fine. I just need more. There are two kinds that I have on sabers.

One. With the switch off, touch the switch gently...not enough to lock it on and it lights up. With the switch locked on, touch the switch gently and nothing happens. I need more of this kind.

Two. All the other switches I have seen, including those on other sabers I have. With the switch off, touch the switch gently and nothing happens. With the switch locked on, touch the switch and the blade winks off. I don't want any more of these.

Am I clear now? *Walks away and bangs head against the wall* ARGH!

Zhi-don Aquintas
XO RL Sunrider Base

UltraSWG
04-19-2006, 06:34 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Zhi-don
One. With the switch off, touch the switch gently...not enough to lock it on and it lights up. With the switch locked on, touch the switch gently and nothing happens. I need more of this kind.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I know what you're talking about. Radio Shack has the type of button you want:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062544

When the saber if off, you will need to make sure nothing presses on that button, because the saber will power on even if the switch doesn't latch. I made sabers for my kids with these and you gotta be careful, if the saber rolls over onto the button, it will turn on and a couple hours later you got a dead saber. But when it's on, the saber won't blink unless you press the button all the way down.

http://www.ultrasabers.com
Corbin|Strydur|Ultra
The Holy Luxeon Trinity
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/531/ultralogo8sl.gif

Zhi-don
04-20-2006, 07:06 AM
Radio Shack???? Thanks Ultra.

I thought I could get these here, as they look exactly like the ones shown. I will take a trip down there. Oh...do these switches look like the ones here?

Zhi-don Aquintas
XO RL Sunrider Base

james3
04-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Red button to go on your switch, and please no more banging of your head on the wall, my pictures fell and one of the frames broke.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e370/Dadof3/HPIM0938.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e370/Dadof3/HPIM0937.jpg

<center>http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e370/Dadof3/James3sig.jpg</center>

Do-Clo
04-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Hey James where is that knob in Lowes, I haven't seen that one and I thought I have been through everthing at Lowes.[:D]

Do-Clo
Brotherhood of the Sith

Don't make me destroy you...

Zhi-don
05-08-2006, 06:28 AM
On Sunday's Lightsaber training class, Jedi Loreen and I discussed this switch situation. Both of us have used the switch I described above and prefer it over all the others. There is nothing more distracting than dueling and having your saber blade wink out when you accidently brush across the button. Once we had replaced these switches with ones that do just the opposite we were much happier. We are going to see if we can make a deal with the company that makes them, so we can offer them to Tim and others who make sabers. The problem is that we probably have to make a minimum order to get them. We think it's worth it. Most of you use the standard latching switches. If you touch the button with the saber off, nothing happens. If you do that with switch latched down and the saber on, the blade goes out. These new switches do just the opposite. Touch the button lightly and the blade lights up. Latch down the switch and the blade is on, touch it lightly and nothing happens. The only drawback I can find is if you lay your saber down on the switch. The saber blades lights up and could drain the battery. Solution. Use the rubber button covers that Tim sells. Then just touching it won't turn on the saber, you would have to press harder to get it to turn on.
More updates on this soon.

Zhi-don Aquintas
XO RL Sunrider Base

james3
05-08-2006, 07:30 AM
Do-Clo sorry I missed your question. I get these in the drawers of small parts and screws. This last batch I got from Home Depot but I am pretty sure I have picked them up at Lowes as well, if not Home Depot does have them in red, black, and white.

<center>http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e370/Dadof3/James3sig.jpg</center>

SilentBob501
07-19-2006, 10:37 PM
Well heres a full on noob question, I think I generally understand the difference between momentary and latching/on,off. But correct me if im wrong. A momentary switch needs to be held down in order to make it work right?

james3
07-20-2006, 05:19 AM
If you are using a momentary switch as a dead mans switch then yes it would need to be kept down as long as you wanted it activated. Most of the time it is just used to activate/deactivate the board it is attached too ala hasbro lightsabers.

<center>http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e370/Dadof3/kotor2.jpg</center>

SilentBob501
07-20-2006, 08:35 AM
dead mans switch??

xwingband
07-20-2006, 09:02 AM
dead man's switch = when you pull your hand off of the switch it turns off. Hence if you died or dropped the saber it wouldn't stay on.

Otherwise James is correct. If all it needs is a momentary then it only takes one push. If you are using a momentary in a latching situation it gives the above "dead man's".

<center>Read the FAQ (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=552) or x-wing won't be happy. :(
Before posting did you check the Thread Index (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=577)?.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6703/xwing8az.gif</center>

Novastar
03-09-2007, 03:20 PM
I know this post is old, but I'm finally getting used to posting on TCSS...

A momentary button can come in many forms, as does a latching... but... in general:

* Latching is you must press and LOCK the switch into position--it does not "touch" on or off. Further, any sudden loss in battery voltage/connection will obviously shut it off... BUT IF THE CONNECTION RETURNS IT'S BACK ON AGAIN! (important)

* Momentary is you depress the switch slightly or a lot... and it comes on. Depress the switch slightly or alot again... and off it goes. Further, any sudden loss in battery voltage/connection will obviously shut it off... BUT IF THE CONNECTION RETURNS IT WILL NOT COME BACK ON AGAIN!

Now how would this be applicable to sabers? Battery packs often have springs. The radio shack ones have WEAK springs...

If you bang your saber into something--at a level your eyes cannot even witness... the battery springs can (briefly) pull away from any battery in a pack. Especially the Radio Hack ones.

This will COMPLETELY kill a momentary saber.
This will BRIEFLY kill/cycle a latching saber.

If you think about it--it makes sense... a basic basic clash sensor (like the Yusan digital one in an MR)... is just a spring surrounded by a metal cylinder. When vibration occurs, the spring "whips" back and forth... and completes a connection for a second or so. Then it returns to position.

This is how the MR detects collision. It's either on or off. Much like the springs in a battery pack.

So, the moral is... know WHY your saber blinks out--if you're using a spring batt pack... if you're using momentary... latching, etc. :)

*WHEW*

elrond.406
03-09-2007, 04:16 PM
dead mans switch??

Example: Deadman's Detonator. we use them as a last resort. :arrow: :twisted:

james3
03-09-2007, 09:56 PM
* Momentary is you depress the switch slightly or a lot... and it comes on. Depress the switch slightly or alot again... and off it goes. Further, any sudden loss in battery voltage/connection will obviously shut it off... BUT IF THE CONNECTION RETURNS IT WILL NOT COME BACK ON AGAIN!

Glad to have you back on here, it has been a long time.

To clear up on this though the switch itself will only have a changed state while depressed. Our drivers and such are what actually performs the job of being on until depressed again. The switch pretty much does what it says either a momentary or latching change of state. Door bell would be an easy example of the switch, push and release gives you ding/dong push and hold gives you ding and a long pause buzz thing going on from the driver pushing on the hammer until it is released and power goes back down and you get the dong.
Wireless doorbells need not apply :wink:

Don't mean to nit pick but I have done a few sabers with "dead mans switches" per request and hey, it is great for little kids who hit the button and then drop it to go play something else and run the battery dead :P