02-23-2009, 06:20 PM
They are making Sabers on my fave Podcast

http://revision3.com/systm/starsaber/

Angelus Lupus
02-23-2009, 06:40 PM
Plus a nice mention of xl's MHS builder

Darth_DevilGuy
02-23-2009, 07:09 PM
wow they did practically a whole show on TCSS, very cool.

Lord Preston
02-23-2009, 07:18 PM
What a great way for people to learn more about TCSS.

xl97
02-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Plus a nice mention of xl's MHS builder

what?

tell me your joking!

Dont make me watch the link now? :)

update: awesome.. I was stoked to just see it!

I used to watch Patrick Norton on TechTV all the time.. him, Leo and Kevin Rose (pimp)..

eastern57
02-23-2009, 08:50 PM
That's so cool!

We're pod-casted! ... LOL, it ended like a Novastar vid... :D

Who is this guy? If you're a member, ID yourself - so we can thank you!

Strydur
02-23-2009, 08:54 PM
They contacted me and got the free saber out of it. Not sure what the issue was with the electonics setup as they never showed it on really.

xl97
02-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Who is this guy? If you're a member, ID yourself - so we can thank you!

huh? what do you mean?

Novastar
02-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Tim, that's awesome! :)

Looks like the Revision3 staff took it to the next level after Neha was either fired or left... after they had me come over there to do the demo (where I did indeed mention TCSS, and how to build a basic saber).

Here's the 1st Rev3 video, heheheh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CF7_xRxHk0

Almost no one watched this video of mine... in fact, it's my 2nd least seen video. :)

swear000
02-23-2009, 11:33 PM
That is awesome. It puts the "star" in Novastar.

Novastar
02-23-2009, 11:47 PM
No, more like it puts the "man this guy looks like a royal arse" smack dab on my goofy face! :D hehehhe

Besides, I don't want to steal Tim's fire here... I'm simply saying... hey: if Rev3 (or more little online "tech geek" companies) take interest and post little blurbs, video interest articles or whatever... then BOOLEY FOR THE SABER MARKET, WOO-HOO!!!

For those who don't know the term "booley for you"... well, sorry--it's almost as old as the whole "talk about the pot callin' the kettle black". Sorry, youngsters. heheh

Onli-Won Kanomi
02-24-2009, 05:56 AM
This is great to see more publicity for TCSS and that they treated saber building as geeky-but-cool rather than making fun of it.

swear000
02-24-2009, 06:09 AM
Well, just don't forget all us Star Wars nerds when you become a big star.

Donnovan Sunrider
02-24-2009, 07:16 AM
Be ready for some fresh newbies gang. I'm not so sure it's going to be helpful how the text states that you can use MHS to make exact replicas. That's not the main focus of the system, nor can it be to keep Tim from getting flack from LFL.

xl97
02-24-2009, 07:21 AM
well I still liked the little exposure of the MHS builder! LOL

Too bad it wont drive any more Flash Dev. business my way though! :D

strengthofrage
02-24-2009, 04:22 PM
The way the guy wired the LED through the lens holder had me laughing a bit... there was also some serious rattling going on when he assembled it. I was hoping he was going to point out the sound options portion of the website. All in all that was really cool, hopefully some people see it and come on over. The hilt that he put together looked really comfortable, the new blade holder and contoured choke... looked good.

Donnovan Sunrider
02-24-2009, 06:42 PM
Now that I've had the time to watch it, I can talk about it. That wasn't too bad at all. They really loved the MHS concept and the part quality. I'll be shocked if we don't get a bunch of new people from that.

I see what you mean Rage. Apparently he was one of those that didn't look at anything before trying to assemble it. Maybe we can work up a PDF that Tim can put on the main page that explains the assembly order piece by piece and a 1-page primer on soldering basics.

Sairon
02-24-2009, 08:37 PM
This is great, Tim's been on "tv" and Novastar and Erv! The movie was great too.

Eco
02-25-2009, 10:25 PM
While he's discussing the sinktube saber:
"Now imagine if you can mount the electronics for one of [The TCSS sabers]."
LEMME STOP YOU THERE!
YOU CAN! :D

He really didn't take too long looking around the forums, because he didn't even know how to wire through the heatsink, nor that an LED isn't that bright when you're in a well lit room.

Still, great exposure for the Shop!

EDIT:: At the end, Vader was holding the graflex saber. XD

Kal El Rah
02-26-2009, 12:18 AM
Either way, both vids were great and the exposure to our addiction is most appreciated.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D::cool:

Jedi-Loreen
02-26-2009, 01:19 AM
I got to see my name on the main page of the forums. :D

I don't know what company "Masterpiece Replicas" is, though. lol :p

xwingband
02-26-2009, 06:07 AM
because he didn't even know how to wire through the heatsink, nor that an LED isn't that bright when you're in a well lit room.

He was using a corbin film blade alone it seemed like. I think most of us have moved to adding films which makes a big difference.

He seemed like a lot of hosts for electronics shows... ""I'm gonna do it! I don't even need instructions." They do it backwards and then it's labeled as difficult because they couldn't pull it out of their butt.

Novastar
02-26-2009, 06:11 AM
Gee, I have NOOOOO idea what X is talking about... :P :rolleyes:

Poor Neha. Didn't follow my advice... and hey, Rev3 crew didn't follow Tim's advice either. Whaddya expect.

Darth_DevilGuy
02-26-2009, 09:51 AM
Gee, I have NOOOOO idea what X is talking about... :P :rolleyes:

Poor Neha. Didn't follow my advice... and hey, Rev3 crew didn't follow Tim's advice either. Whaddya expect.
just goes to show, no matter how much you know in one field you can still be a noob.

Angelus Lupus
02-26-2009, 11:40 AM
I got to see my name on the main page of the forums. :D

I don't know what company "Masterpiece Replicas" is, though. lol :p

Huh, whaddya know? I just re-watched it and my name's on there, too.

Novastar
02-26-2009, 01:05 PM
just goes to show, no matter how much you know in one field you can still be a noob.I knew *ZERO* about sabers, batteries, LEDs and circuitry back in 2004/2005 and early 2006 until Corbin gave me an unofficial crash-course in learning due to discussions over e-mail/phone about the sabers for BOP I (I paid him to get a good portion of the sabers made for the show).

So although I'm being tongue & cheek... it's true that BETTER resources were in place for Rev3 when Tim & I talked with them... vs. back in 2004/2005 when... well... simply put, the LED saber (well, "flashlight style") was a lot more of an enigma in terms of "readily available 411 on the net" (or wherever else).

N00bs these days have it a lot easier. :D And for that, I am glad... and I'm also glad to see total newcomers "WOW-ing" the troop, so-to-speak with awesome hilts, variations on electronics usage, etc. etc.

Nightwing
03-04-2009, 02:26 PM
http://io9.com/5163845/make-your-own-lightsaber-on-the-cheap

So the tech-oriented web show "Systm" (hosted by Patrick Norton of former The Screen Savers fame) had an entire episode devoted to informing the uninformed about how to make replicas of various lightsabers, as well as Han's DL-44!
They talked in a good amount of detail about the Graflex and MPP, and--even better--The Custom Saber Shop, and its forums!

Angelus Lupus
03-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Alreday talked about here
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=7400&highlight=systm

Nightwing
03-04-2009, 02:36 PM
CRUD. -_-
I was under the weird impression that the video was posted yesterday. :P

[paging mods]

*Merged the threads - LM

beggarsoutpost
03-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Not sure if I put this in the right place sorry if I didn't....

Big web story on The Force.net about lightsabers features The Custom Saber Shop......the guys are a couple of clowns but it's pretty cool none the less.....I think traffic around here is about to shoot up....

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Custom_DIY_Strikable_Lightsabers_121210.asp

Sairon
03-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Now that is sweet! Thats great that they do that.

Rhyen Skytracker
03-04-2009, 09:18 PM
There was already a link on this video here. http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=7400

beggarsoutpost
03-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Sorry about that guys...the date on the post at The Force.net was todays date....and I missed the other post here.. it never popped up on my new post list.....

Jedi-Loreen
03-04-2009, 09:54 PM
It's ok, yours had some different stuff in it, as well. ;)