PDA

View Full Version : Lucasfilm "Hollow Replicas"?

Nightwing
04-07-2006, 08:28 AM
What if Lucasfilm sold replicas made specifically for modding? Basically, they'd be somewhat like hollow tubes, maybe even with working buttons and whatnot.

I was thinking about this because, as I was looking at a picture of the AOTC Obi-Wan MR, it occured to me that it'd be practically impossible to make a replica without the help of a machinist.

So what do you guys think? Should Lucasfilm support the Saber-building community? I think it'd be great if they could actually sell parts like what Tim does here, but with replica peices rather than "custom" parts.

saber417
04-07-2006, 08:52 AM
i think there is a positive side and a negitive side to this.first that would be great if lucasfilms did support the saber community.but with the replica parts you probably spend a small fortune.were with the custom parts from hard ware stores those are cheap enough.and some machining can be a little more expensive.but to me building a saber from scracth is more satifying then buying the already built parts.not saying that i have not bought already built parts but there the basic parts.led's,blade holders and so on.thats just my opinion.i mean on the positive side there would be so many more parts and that would be great to have parts machined the exact way as the movie.but i would still like building from sratch more of a challange to find the wright peices to make the sabers look right

Nightwing
04-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Oh sure, but the simple fact is that it's practically impossible to get some of the parts (mostly from the prequel trilogy).

saber417
04-07-2006, 09:55 AM
thats the whole thing that it is a custom saber.you cut you machine with what ever you have to make it look like a replica.even if the parts are impossible to get there is a way to make them.i am not saying that i would not buy lucasfilm parts i probably would they would be acceurate to the movie.and look awesome at that instead of a machined look.

987654321a
04-07-2006, 10:30 AM
i agree saber417, but lucasfilm would be a great place to buy something you cant make, like switches for example, etc

The Dark Side will kill you
www.starwarscustoms.bravehost.com
http://www.imageuploader.org/uploads/598a8186b2.gif

saber417
04-07-2006, 10:33 AM
i will agree with that.that would be a big plus

james3
04-07-2006, 11:13 AM
It would be cool to get parts that are exact specs from the movie but the cost would most likely more then most would be willing to spend. I would LOVE to have the Larbel Obi-Wan and Qui Gonn hilts to build up but there is no way I am spending the money that those things are fetching right now. I also have way to much fun creating my own designs and hunting around making a saber out of whatever. I could see these hilts selling for as much as the MR hilts that are already out due to the fact that the customer base would want all details as accurate as possible. There are some other potential issues that I wouldn't want to get in to as well since it may also apply to what we do with FX's right now. With Tim's MHS I am happy just putting together combinations and detailing from there, after all isn't that what custom is all about?

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes. I will do what I must." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

naashar
04-08-2006, 01:04 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Nightwing

Oh sure, but the simple fact is that it's practically impossible to get some of the parts (mostly from the prequel trilogy).
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Oh, you mean you don't have a few British made WWI grenades just laying around? Man, I'm up to my 'pits in 'em!

You don't need to see any identification.

WeirdoTransvestite
04-08-2006, 01:57 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by naashar

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Nightwing

Oh, you mean you don't have a few British made WWI grenades just laying around? Man, I'm up to my 'pits in 'em!

You don't need to see any identification.

I'm up to my eyes in Sterling SMG's.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a15/WeirdoTransvestite/LaughingManROTATE.gif
Connor, Murphy: And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command, we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine patris, et filii...
[they **** their guns]
Connor, Murphy: ...et spiritus sancti.
[fires] -Boondock Saints

LAN-ED-TUL
04-08-2006, 06:24 PM
what about tim? are you forgettin his parts? im not.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

james3
04-08-2006, 07:20 PM
Right on Lan. Got all kinds of fine goodies right here.

suit_man
04-08-2006, 07:25 PM
i think you are a bit mixed, the prequel sabers were machined from aluminum and such. the original trilogy sabers were made from stuff like grenades and what-not.

i am a nerd, if you don't like it, i will cut you with my lightsaber

james3
04-08-2006, 07:32 PM
Thats right suit, I think that when it came time to do the Obi-Wan and Anakin sabers for ROTS that they machined hilts smaller then what was in the originals so they would be more dualable. Some were resin some were aluminum right?

suit_man
04-08-2006, 09:17 PM
there were tons of different hilts in the prequels, some were even made out of rubber so the actors didn't hurt themselves while running and stuff like that.

i am a nerd, if you don't like it, i will cut you with my lightsaber

LAN-ED-TUL
04-08-2006, 09:23 PM
most all of the new prequel films used machined copies,and some resin pieces on them. and yes, they are just a tad smaller in diameter. and your right too, the old trilogy 4,5,and 6 movies, were from found parts thrown together. heilands, mpp's, graflex's, grenade and airplane jet engine part for obi-wans, etc... until ROTJ, where they actually used a mix of machined and found parts to make lukes saber. and as far as i know, there might of been another one or 2 in the 6th movie that were a mix of machined and found parts as well.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...