PDA

View Full Version : AC adapter/recharger?

Matt Thorn
02-16-2009, 04:21 AM
This is an embarrassingly n00b question, but I suppose this is the forum for such questions. And, yes, I did do a search first ;)

Like a lot of people here, I use a Tynergy Smart Universal Charger for Nimh battery Pack (2.4V - 7.2V) to recharge the sabers I've made (all three of which use 4.8 volt 4aaa Ni-MH battery packs and 2.1mm power jacks). But now, in my n00b-ish arrogance, I'm thinking of making a saber to sell. I'm not clever enough to make a saber in which batteries can be replaced easily and elegantly, so I'm thinking recharge port. But including a charger like the one I use seems like overkill, particularly if I'm selling to someone who doesn't know an Ohm from a Watt or a Luxeon from a Lux vacuum cleaner. I saw that one well-known sabersmith (sorry, I forget who) was selling such a saber on eBay, and including a simple AC adapter/charger like the kind that come with all kinds of portable electronic consumer devices.

So my question is, what kind of adapter would be appropriate to include with a saber like the ones I've made so far? Thanks in advance for any advice!

xwingband
02-16-2009, 08:37 AM
It depends... if they want the capability to charge others later it's good to have a universal one.

It's also cheap to have a simple smart charger for a 4.8V pack.

I've done both. Not much of a help here. If you go the simple route just be clear it won't be capable of charging other packs and you should be resolved of aany potential issues.

Matt Thorn
02-16-2009, 08:53 AM
It depends... if they want the capability to charge others later it's good to have a universal one.

It's also cheap to have a simple smart charger for a 4.8V pack.

I've done both. Not much of a help here. If you go the simple route just be clear it won't be capable of charging other packs and you should be resolved of aany potential issues.

Thanks, xwingband. What simple smart charger for a 4.8V pack would you recommend?