PDA

View Full Version : Solder Problems

LordJaivus
01-30-2009, 01:23 AM
Has anyone had any problems soldering leads to their K2's? I got the negative soldered just fine but I can't get any solder to stick to any of the positive solder pads. I was thinking about maybe using silver solder instead of rosin core. Any other suggestions?

Jedi-Loreen
01-30-2009, 01:29 AM
Isn't silver solder for jewelry? Don't use that.

Try lightly scratching the pad with an X-acto knife, there could be some sort of coating on the pad.

LordJaivus
01-30-2009, 06:42 AM
Actually silver solder is generally used for very fine electrical joints, and has very little silver in it. Whereas what you're thinking of is a hard solder used for brazing of jewelry, sometimes known as "enameling" solder.

Novastar
01-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Scratch the pads a bit... and make sure you're tinning the pads prior to doing the leads.

Your positive might also just be "sitting" on the pad as well.

Darth Morbius
01-30-2009, 04:17 PM
Use flux... it helps.

LordJaivus
01-31-2009, 01:21 AM
Well, I had tried scratching the pads like J-lo had suggested and that didn't work so I went to Radio Hack, er, shack and picked up some silver solder. Guess what? It worked, and it seems to have a much better hold than regular old rosin core. Heck, I pulled with all my might just for fun and couldn't even break the joint. I think I'll just stick with this stuff from now on. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Lord Dottore Matto
01-31-2009, 11:21 PM
Use flux... it helps.

Exactly what I use and I have never had even the slightest problem.

Flux the pad-->Tin the pad & tin the wire---> touch the iron the the wire while it is sitting on the pad and you shall have a perfectly soldered K2.;)

LordJaivus
02-01-2009, 01:22 AM
Oh I know all about flux, I would perfer just not to invest in it as the only soldering I really do is with saber components and the silver solder is about half the price, and yeah, the flux will last quite a long time but I'd probably loose it long before I ran out and would wind up having to buy more.