PDA

View Full Version : what size set screw to use?

morpheus1977
04-01-2006, 07:40 PM
I am making the blade that I bought from Tim a little shorter 40" was a little long. Any way I have to re-drill the whole for the set screw, I looked on the store to see what size set screw he uses so I can pick up the appropriate tap but it does not say. What size tap should I pick up?

suit_man
04-01-2006, 08:40 PM
there is no hole on the blade, the blade will just be a solid tube, you put a set screw or thumb screw in the blade holder.

i am a nerd, if you don't like it, i will cut you with my lightsaber

morpheus1977
04-01-2006, 08:41 PM
there is a hole in the blade it goes through the poly carb into the casing of the mono jack to hold the EL wire in base.

suit_man
04-01-2006, 10:35 PM
sorry, sorry, i was think LED blade, not el. you can use any size set screw if you are making the hole yourself. and you don't need a tap for it, you can just drill a hole a bit smaller than the screw and then put the screw into it.

morpheus1977
04-02-2006, 12:12 AM
and the threads on it just kind of drill into the plastic it's self?

Strydur
04-02-2006, 12:29 AM
The set screw is a 10-32

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

LAN-ED-TUL
04-02-2006, 01:19 AM
i would go ahead and use the tap to make the threads in the polyc tube. tim gave you the size of the screw, so just get a tap that size, and drill hole a lil bit smaller than tap size and thread the tap in. it will cut the threads in for you.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

morpheus1977
04-02-2006, 11:12 AM
thanks Tim

suit_man
04-02-2006, 01:53 PM
the tap isn't required though, the screw will cut the threads into the polyC.

LAN-ED-TUL
04-03-2006, 02:38 AM
he can do it either way i suppose, i just threw my opinion out there to consider.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

james3
04-03-2006, 05:03 AM
I have to go with Lan on this one suit. While it is not necessary to have the tube tapped it is the better way as you will have a cleaner threading when your done. I always prefer to do my threads first so that it is a nice deep thread, it is consistant, and of coure so I can clean the area after throughly with contact cleaner or whatever is appropriate for the material. And now that Tim has the tools in stock they can be ordered right here and even though I can't speak for all areas, he is less expensive then my local hardware and big home improvement stores.

Let us not forget, if we can't justify the need to buy a new tool anytime we do a project, then it's not done yet[;)]

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes. I will do what I must." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

suit_man
04-03-2006, 01:23 PM
i understand what you are saying, but if i wasn't placing an order and i only needed to make threads in a polyC tube, i would do it without a tap (that is what i did on my first blade) i also thought taps were more expensive, they are cheap though, so i would use it now that i know [:D]