PDA

View Full Version : Ultra edge

JerrySkywalker555
01-15-2009, 10:06 AM
who thinks the ultra edge blade is just so awesome and realistic???

cannibal869
01-15-2009, 11:08 AM
I think it's ok.
Better "fullness" of the blade, yes.
I still have to try it with some polypropylene wrap, which I think will make it even better.

I suspect it may have good use in MR type (LED ladder) blades.

-C

Kal El Rah
01-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Just read the description of the blade, DIY blade is thin wall midgrade type and you have to glue a tip on and install some type of diffusion film in it anyway.

JerrySkywalker555
01-15-2009, 11:48 AM
oh you need the blade film in it man thAts like using a clear poly c blade with no film almost...

i got mine today and wow am i impressed.! it makes even weak leds look good:D

Strydur
01-15-2009, 11:53 AM
JerrySkywalker555 can you please explain why it says you live in spokane,wa yet your IP address is from Canada and is the same IP used by another forum member?

Kal El Rah
01-15-2009, 12:02 PM
Post some pics please.:p

Jay-gon Jinn
01-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Pics can be seen in the Ultrasabers section of the FX-Sabers forums, along with video reviews:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?board=52.0
Review topic from Darth Tyranus(Morbius):
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=15187.0
Review with pics:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=15181.0
My personal review:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=15204.0

JerrySkywalker555
01-15-2009, 04:07 PM
I will Pm you tim so i dont ruin this post

JerrySkywalker555
01-15-2009, 04:40 PM
yeah the blade is really realistic , I like the white look way better then the blad film look

Lord Maul
01-15-2009, 04:45 PM
This is in the wrong forum........
On top of that, it's basically advertising a product that Tim doesn't sell. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me

But back on topic, yeah, those blades do look good. I like blades that light up to the edge.

Jedi-Loreen
01-15-2009, 05:10 PM
It's not perfect though, which is why it still benefits from some polypro film inside it to even out the glow.

JerrySkywalker555
01-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Maul i have already talked to tim about this so its ok.

yeah but with poly p i think the blade is perfect . and the ones that you can buy hat are already done have acetate film in them that is idenical to poly p

but i see what ya mean poly p is most needed

sithlordfaust
01-15-2009, 06:05 PM
would it get any benefit from corbin film?

Jedi-Loreen
01-15-2009, 06:16 PM
I highly doubt it. You're not going to see the coring effect with a white blade.

Jay-gon Jinn
01-15-2009, 06:19 PM
I tried it with the blade i was sent to reviw, and J-Lo is correct...it didn't show at all.

Novastar
01-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Ultra (well, Derek) was kind enough to send me one to review, and I shared the following thoughts with them:

ULTRA-WHITE POLY-C BLADE REVIEW

+ I certainly thought it was a very nice alternative/addition to the current blade setups (and EXPENSIVE to MAKE... seeing as it was custom-extruded poly-c, which must have taken a long time to get set up)
+ Seeing 100% white polycarb was pretty cool... wild!
+ Thin-walled blades that are white... this is very cool, different from what some of us are used to with thick-walled
+ The blade's even-ness in my eyes... is EXACTLY how Alex described it: "slightly better" than the Ultra/Gelu film ones. But not like some monumental, cataclysmic light change
+ The fact that there is no distinction in seeing the outer wall / the "thickness" is cool as well
+ The blade color is very "accurate"--in other words... that is WHITE... not like the "purple-ish" white or "blue-ish" white of MR diffusers (or even the reddish ones)

- White vs. Metallic: My personal tastes gravitate toward the "metallic" look of the original blades
- I was somewhat expecting to see NO film in the blade... with the blade hopefully doing all of the work... although I realize that may not be possible!
- The original Ultrablades have a certain... how do I say... "3d" quality to them? What with the film texture/layers and all... which the whites do not
- The concept of "no distinction in seeing the outer wall / the thickness of the blade" can be achieved with a little sanding of other blades... and also comes "naturally" with extreme dueling. Although I don't know if this is truly a "minus" or whatever.

Well there you have it. I'm not saying this means anything to anyone other than myself, but... if it helps others--great.

LeMoel
01-15-2009, 10:36 PM
awesome comparison Nova star,

yeah I dont think corbin film would go good at all because it already has the out glow effect so probly wouldnt work. Again whether its brand new tecnology or not its always going to be your own preference for bladees. i love the Ultra edge, but i also love others so im glad there is more than one to choose from:D

Sairon
01-16-2009, 05:18 PM
me still thinks that nylon blades look the best. just because they light very well.

killphil
01-16-2009, 07:12 PM
awesome comparison Nova star,

yeah I dont think corbin film would go good at all because it already has the out glow effect so probly wouldnt work. Again whether its brand new tecnology or not its always going to be your own preference for bladees. i love the Ultra edge, but i also love others so im glad there is more than one to choose from:D

I used a double of Corbin and about 5 ft of poly p. It's the most even combo I've tested.

No, you don't get the coring or anything, but the poly P by itself tends to light more towards the edge with a dimmer center. I guess this might be the 3D effect some describe, but I don't care for it personally.

The addition of Corbin film simply pulls some of that light back to the center so the blade lights up as evenly as possible.

LeMoel
01-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Sairon - I also thought I noticed a tad bit of a light difference in jaygons video, between the nylon and Ultra edge.

For Myself and the people who havent seen a Nylon blade in person could you explain the lighting differences between the "Ultra Edge" and "nylon blade"??

on the video's they look pretty the same but I thought I noticed a tad bit of a brighter hue from the nylon blade in jaygons review

and plus video's could be deceiving so that would really help because im thinking of using Xwing blades for my show sabers and "ultra edge" for my dueling / show sabers

kill phil- when you say poly p and corbin film do you mean erv's style blade or those two films inside the ultra edge?

killphil
01-16-2009, 08:08 PM
kill phil- when you say poly p and corbin film do you mean erv's style blade or those two films inside the ultra edge?

Yes. The "Erv" style. That is the absolute most even of the different ways I experimented with in these Ultraedge tubes.

FenderBender
01-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Sairon - I also thought I noticed a tad bit of a light difference in jaygons video, between the nylon and Ultra edge.

For Myself and the people who havent seen a Nylon blade in person could you explain the lighting differences between the "Ultra Edge" and "nylon blade"??

on the video's they look pretty the same but I thought I noticed a tad bit of a brighter hue from the nylon blade in jaygons review

and plus video's could be deceiving so that would really help because im thinking of using Xwing blades for my show sabers and "ultra edge" for my dueling / show sabers

The nylon blade has a matte finish so it doesnt reflect outside light, therefore washing out color slightly when in a lit area. The UltraEdge is glossy and does reflect outside light......a LOT. Both look identical in the dark. The UltraEdge in my opinion is a great looking blade and gives a SOLID beam look to the blade that even sanding cant do. However, it does tend to "lighten" the color saturation a bit, which on some colors isn't that great to my eyes, i.e. reds and greens.

LeMoel
01-16-2009, 11:06 PM
ok thanks fender bender, yeah I also like how the ultra edge looks, ultra is sure good at there blades.

has anyone tryed filters with the ultra edge yeet? that has anything to share? im going to purchase a white led soon and try it myself

??

gundamaniac
01-17-2009, 12:03 AM
Hm, I'm looking at picking up some ultrablades soon for Obeissance and was wondering whether I should pick up an UltraEdge to try out...but if it adversely affects my green....then I'll probably just stick with his standard medium grade blade.

FenderBender
01-17-2009, 12:29 AM
I didn't say it adversely affects it, "I" just think that it tends to "lighten" the color. Its still a beautiful blade, and it looks cool because of the 'solidness' of the color. It just depends on what bin of green or red you have. I put it on a seoul P4 green tonight and it was awesome. On my LUX III cyan bin 6 (green) not so great. Lux III Red O, kind of lightened it too much. Red P4, nice. Just depends on the color. Just get one, They're way cool and I don't regret making a couple of them up for use here. If not for Obeisance, than you'll find a use for it, I gaurantee it.

Novastar
01-17-2009, 01:50 AM
Hm, I'm looking at picking up some ultrablades soon for Obeissance and was wondering whether I should pick up an UltraEdge to try out...but if it adversely affects my green....then I'll probably just stick with his standard medium grade blade.I would personally say... it cannot hurt to help support Alex's "move to step it up" / "move to add a +1 to blade types".

I would get one. If I didn't already have a THRONG of blades coming out my butt (oh look there's one now)... which are Ultrablades btw... I'd probably at least grab a few.

I'm trying to get Derek to at least let me pay for the blade they sent, but... I dunno. E-mailing him and Ultra doesn't ever seem to go through! Well, not for the last few years at least. So, I do my best to go through other means. Yay... that's what Yoda's for, hahahah JK. :D

JerrySkywalker555
01-17-2009, 10:59 PM
I personally like the Ultra edge better gundamaniac than the old style utra blade which i like but its just really cool with the white poly c.]

if I were you i would either buy one of each and compare or just buy the ultra edge and try some polypropelne inside a normal poly C blade and compare if u dont want to buy two.

because like nova said the old blades have a cool static kind of look with the bladd film. its just mwhat you prefer.

personally i love the Ultra Edge look, it appears bright just cause of the light going to the edge of the blade and looks way more like a real lightsaber because you cant see the poly C tube

thejedilestat
01-19-2009, 06:57 AM
didnt x wing come up with these blades?

Malaki Skywalker
01-19-2009, 08:29 AM
didnt x wing come up with these blades?

Yes/No, Xwing was the first to put them to use with Luxeon sabers before Ultra put his idea (He had since 2005) into production.

xl97
01-19-2009, 08:59 AM
actually I believe X 'came up with' Nylon blades.. (being cheaper and easier to get).. the UltraEdge (or whatever) is NOT Nylon....

however.. many are quoting Xwing to be the first to to have the 'white' blade idea.. (regardless of medium used to achieve it)

no clue..before my time. ;)

psab keel
01-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Hyperdyne was the first that I know of to use Nylon for blade tubes, but X-wing was the first to use Nylon with Luxeons.

Novastar
01-19-2009, 01:47 PM
The new Ultra blades are custom-extruded white polycarbonate. They are not something you would come by easily, and my understanding is that they took quite a long time to get set up/built. It should be clear that these needed to be created by an outside company--and weren't just a simple thing for Alex to go out and buy.

JerrySkywalker555
01-19-2009, 02:20 PM
wow these blades are not nylon, there white custom extruded poly c like Nova said...

The only thing Nylon is good for is a "show blade" if you want a strong white (duelable)blade you have no choice but the ultra edge currently. And it was master replica that came up with "white blades" then Hyperdyne brought out Nylon blades using led strings.. Im not sure if parks or xwing did next but it dosent matter because "THERE NOT THE SAME MATERIAL"

now lets just stick to the Ultra edge here :grin:

Hasid Lafre
01-19-2009, 02:22 PM
* Sigh*

Malaki Skywalker
01-19-2009, 03:05 PM
The only thing Nylon is good for is a "show blade"

Nylon actually takes as much beating as PolyC and for your money its cheaper to make 2 Nylon blades instead of buying ONE Ultra edge blade. :rolleyes:

xl97
01-19-2009, 04:11 PM
wow these blades are not nylon, there white custom extruded poly c like Nova said...

The only thing Nylon is good for is a "show blade" if you want a strong white (duelable)blade you have no choice but the ultra edge currently. And it was master replica that came up with "white blades" then Hyperdyne brought out Nylon blades using led strings.. Im not sure if parks or xwing did next but it dosent matter because "THERE NOT THE SAME MATERIAL"

wasnt that already stated.. they are NOT nylon? :rolleyes:

and MR has a white diffuser...no? not a white 'blade'? unless Im missing something?..or haent seen the 'white blade' by MR before..

Lord Maul
01-19-2009, 04:47 PM

Is it just me, or have all of your posts on this forum been touting UltraSabers products? This is a forum for a store you know

JerrySkywalker555
01-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Malaki Skywalker - I know Nylon can take a beating but it bends and yellow's so my opinon is that theres no point in it, you want some thing that will last somewat.

xl97 - Yes it was already stated that it was Nylon as I stated that Nova just said it .. but however people dont seem to get the drift... its ruining the saber community by arguing about the two blades. Bottom line is that the Ultra edge is the newest blade. And i dont care if the Master Replica has a white diffusser under it, its still white..

Lord Maul - Please get off the me touting ultra sabers, i dont even know alex personally .. and you obiously havent checked my other posts . this "thread" is for the Ultra Edge... so please get over that rivalry because i am NOT working for Alex. "check my other posts then talk" im not looking for trouble here but i am allowed my opinon:-D

xl97
01-19-2009, 07:09 PM
to be clear..I stated in post #30.. but anywho.. ;)

it just seems your lumping things together.. just get the facts straight..as they dont 'all count as the same'..

just because YOu want think of things as the 'same' does NOT mean they are to everyone else.... if that fair?

Im not in any way trying to take anything away from the ULTRAEDGE..in fact I like them..and think they look great..

and just like you..everyone ELSE is also allowed an opinion...no?

a white diffuser...is NOT the same as a white blade.. I dont care how you spin it.. and in fact using a white BALDE gives you the edge to egde glow everyone likes..

using a white diffuser does NOT.. (IMHO)

so what is it you want to discuss about the UE? peoples OPINIONS? well your getting them? pics? I dont knwo of many/any people who actually have them yet..(I think a couple).. where are YOUR pics? comaprisson/reviews?

LeMoel
01-19-2009, 07:27 PM
i want no part in this fight im out

JerrySkywalker555
01-19-2009, 07:35 PM
You know what .. no matter what i say your going to just be an ass about it so sorry for stating my opinon, i apologize for my part in it. I just feel that you have something against me personally because me and xwing dont get along...

if you want to be like that then what ever... i never meant to cause a fight . Seems that whenever the Ultra edge is discussed this happends. I dont know if its jelousy or what.. but new idea's are going to come out .. so whatever

to be clear..I stated in post #30.. but anywho.. ;)

it just seems your lumping things together.. just get the facts straight..as they dont 'all count as the same'..

just because YOu want think of things as the 'same' does NOT mean they are to everyone else.... if that fair?

Im not in any way trying to take anything away from the ULTRAEDGE..in fact I like them..and think they look great..

and just like you..everyone ELSE is also allowed an opinion...no?

a white diffuser...is NOT the same as a white blade.. I dont care how you spin it.. and in fact using a white BALDE gives you the edge to egde glow everyone likes..

using a white diffuser does NOT.. (IMHO)

so what is it you want to discuss about the UE? peoples OPINIONS? well your getting them? pics? I dont knwo of many/any people who actually have them yet..(I think a couple).. where are YOUR pics? comaprisson/reviews?

Lord Maul
01-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Xl, I believe that GeluKhanGharr was the first guy to come up with a all white blade. His PEX blades are in the custom sabers thread in '06.

Jerry, since when do you and Xwing not get along? We know nothing of that. EDIT: It appears as though Xwing hasn't even posted in this thread!

Where else has UltraEdge been fought over? The only forum where a fight has broke out was on JSSDC, which you can't read.

In responce to you saying you aren't touting Ultra Sabers, 10 of your 13 posts have been about the UltraEdge blade, that's a pretty large majority.

I'm done discussing the matter. As you all were ;)

JerrySkywalker555
01-19-2009, 07:45 PM
Ive made purchases from this store. either way im done with this discusion also

Strydur
01-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Well since we are all done with the discussion and pretty much all the points that need to be made and more have been made..topic locked!!

This has been fought over enough.