PDA

View Full Version : Random lightsaber ranting and thoughts

RandallFlagg
01-13-2009, 05:04 PM
I don't know if I'm alone at this, but I remember the very first introduction of Dount Dooku's lightsaber as having a curve to it. When I looked at it, it was unlit and I'd wondered what that claw at the hilt was for. I'd thought that it was a piece of lightsaber blade resistant material (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber#Resisting_the_lightsaber) that, when the blade was activated and went into this claw, would cause the blade to actually curve in shape. Something similar to a Samurai blade.

I was also wondering about that wonderful, "Power up," and, "Power down," effect that is used in LED blades. Wondering if the same effect could be achieved in a core-bulb saber hilt. Perhaps using lenses and a small motor that would move the LED up and down inside a reflective core. Something like the twist-to-focus MagLite flashlight. That, plus the fiber-optic blade -which didn't turn out as I'd hoped after a few experiments. Perhaps if I had access to better materials?

WAY too many ideas running through my head on this topic.

Perhaps rig a small hidden sensor at the tip of the blade that would actually make the, "Hum," of the saber increase with the motion of the blade, rather than at the hilt where the movements aren't nearly as pronounced -as with the clash and other sounds. Just seems kinda odd to slap the hilt to make that clash sound instead if having it caused by blade actions where it should be.

eastern57
01-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Oh dear. Randall, while these are valid concerns, most of them have been addressed - you just have to dig a little deeper. ;)

The motion sensing issues have been solved. The Crystal Focus Saber Core has adjustable sensitivity settings for the swings and clashes so they can respond to, not only movement and impact, but also swing speed and strength of impact.

Most everyone here have basic to intermediate skills when it comes to electronics engineering and design... and so far, the LED sting is the best solution for extension and retraction... the maglite idea is "sort of" performed by "ramp up/down", but automated focusing/re-focusing is still beyond us.

I honestly don't have anything to say about the Dooku blade - I saw the toy first. ;) But a curved, Samurai style blade is cool... we just don't have a good way to do that yet...

... yet... anything is possible with a creative mind!

:D

DragonStar
01-13-2009, 05:45 PM
I mocked up a curved blade with thick polyethylene tubing and fought with it against my son who dual wields. Let's just say that while it sounds cool in theory, I got my booty handed to me because it is really, really difficult to fight with a giant macaroni noodle.

Sairon
01-13-2009, 05:46 PM
lighting it up would be hard to do, seeing as light travels in a straight line.

RandallFlagg
01-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Oh dear. Randall, while these are valid concerns, most of them have been addressed - you just have to dig a little deeper. ;)

The motion sensing issues have been solved. The Crystal Focus Saber Core has adjustable sensitivity settings for the swings and clashes so they can respond to, not only movement and impact, but also swing speed and strength of impact.

I been digging. Seen well over a hundred YouTube videos on lightsabers (Makotosai's blades just plain rock!) and heard the sounds they make. They always seem a bit off when it comes to the timing of the effect and the action made by the blade. Granted, I haven't personally tried out every kind. It was just a thought to perhaps make a good thing a bit better.

Most everyone here have basic to intermediate skills when it comes to electronics engineering and design... and so far, the LED sting is the best solution for extension and retraction... the maglite idea is "sort of" performed by "ramp up/down", but automated focusing/re-focusing is still beyond us.

I got this idea from a little experiment I did here at home. I have an old rifle scope and one of those $100.00 Streamlight Stinger flashlights that I use for work. I took the lenses out of the scope and lined them up parallel with the beam from the flashlight. With very little lens movement, I was able to make the light from the flashlight go from flood to a VERY tight focus, while keeping the intensity even on all sides. Testing it out with a sheet of white paper worked out nicely. The blade would, "Flash," on, then even out when it reaches the set point of focus. the I thought that using a slider switch along with diffusing film in a blade....

I honestly don't have anything to say about the Dooku blade - I saw the toy first. ;) But a curved, Samurai style blade is cool... we just don't have a good way to do that yet...

... yet... anything is possible with a creative mind!

:D

Thanks. Sometimes my brain just won't be quiet.
(With all of the interesting hobbies Makotosai has, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he's working on a REAL lightsaber!)

RandallFlagg
01-13-2009, 05:57 PM
I mocked up a curved blade with thick polyethylene tubing and fought with it against my son who dual wields. Let's just say that while it sounds cool in theory, I got my booty handed to me because it is really, really difficult to fight with a giant macaroni noodle.

ROTFLMAO!! A GLOWING one, even!!

Lord Preston
01-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Well I heard that some people would crush crystals on the "claw" to stabalize the blade. Otherwise its just for decoration.

RandallFlagg
01-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Well I heard that some people would crush crystals on the "claw" to stabalize the blade. Otherwise its just for decoration.
Hmmm. I haven't heard that before.

Personally, I'm convinced that the secret to making a real lightsaber is basic atomic physics. A controlled positron emission similar to the electron emissions in the average stungun, but arcing up and away in a wave from the hilt would shear through all forms of matter. The only thing that would stop such a blade would be...another blade made of positrons.

Theoretically, it might just work. If there are no lethal gamma radiation from shearing atoms with it, the initial use would be for extraction and rescue -a replacement for, "The Jaws Of Life." Then, the weaponry use would be initialized and more studies and funding...

There I go again. I'll just shut up and make some dinner...

eastern57
01-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Tim sells makototsai's LED - they're what make all the difference. The construction itself is ridiculously easy - I've done it many times. :)

RandallFlagg
01-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Tim sells makototsai's LED - they're what make all the difference. The construction itself is ridiculously easy - I've done it many times. :)

Really? I didn't know that. All I remember was Makotosai telling someone on the comment section for one of his You Tube videos that they're only in Taiwan.

Sweet! Gonna have to get some next payday. Thanks.

Phiily Manyaan
01-13-2009, 07:44 PM
The only thing about the "real" lightsaber is stopping the emission of the positrons so you have a finite blade.

Also, the thing about the clash sensor at the end is that you'd have to have a wire and the sensor itself running inside/outside the blade. You could not remove the blade without fumbling with wires and it would not look realistic. You do not need to hit the hilt for the clash to register; if your sensor is sensitive enough, it will pick up the vibrations from a blade hit. Go try it. Even MR's will do it. I don't think anything needs to be changed in this hobby currently. We have all we need to make incredible sabers that are IMO better-functioning and in some cases, better looking than the Master Replicas. I know they were just ideas and I apologize if I seem nitpicky or rude. I just finished my saber finally, so I guess I am just like "No! Nothing can change! I'm done!" But, honestly things work beautifully now.

RandallFlagg
01-13-2009, 07:53 PM
The only thing about the "real" lightsaber is stopping the emission of the positrons so you have a finite blade.

It would arc back into the hilt like electrons arc from one electrode of a stungun to the other. Another problem would be to make it arc so radically so it's MOSTLY away from the sending and receiving parts. Perhaps a gyroscopic spin could be introduced to the positrons. Be hell to spin, though, unless two arcs were to spin in opposite directions.

DragonStar
01-13-2009, 10:05 PM
lighting it up would be hard to do, seeing as light travels in a straight line.

Good thing they make side-firing fiber optic cables, then! :p The larger stumbling block is that you'd have to make a curved polycarbonate tube, which I suppose can be done, but I bet it would be a PITA.

Also, a scimitar works because the end is heavier than the forte, which gives it a speed boost due to centrifugal force. But putting weights into a saber just seems silly.

RandallFlagg
01-13-2009, 10:09 PM

BTW, if you could please?
What's the name of the component? A link to it on the store's site?
Thanks.

Eco
01-13-2009, 11:18 PM
The biggest issue with the actual electron saber is where are you going to find a power source that could power something like that?
The only thing that comes to mind are nuclear fusion reactors; a technology still in it's prototype phase.

-sigh- Someday... ;)

RandallFlagg
01-14-2009, 08:09 AM
The biggest issue with the actual electron saber is where are you going to find a power source that could power something like that?
The only thing that comes to mind are nuclear fusion reactors; a technology still in it's prototype phase.

-sigh- Someday... ;)

In my theory, the positrons that make up the blade would cause the light and hum of a real lightsaber due to the shearing effect on the atoms in the air it contacts while active. The energy released when the positrons make contact with the electrons could be used to keep the power charged and a backup ignition at the ready at the same time. In short, the ignition source activates the blade, and the blade keeps the energy requirements constant for it's use. Using it charges it.

swear000
01-14-2009, 08:46 AM
Electrons have energy. I have been looking at this concept but am still figuring out how I would do the electron source:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmp1cg3-WDY&eurl=http://nextbigfuture.com/search?updated-max=2008-12-17T16%3A34%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=8

(Note: Video in no way implies anyone is a dummy)

RandallFlagg
01-14-2009, 09:33 AM
Electrons have energy. I have been looking at this concept but am still figuring out how I would do the electron source:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmp1cg3-WDY&eurl=http://nextbigfuture.com/search?updated-max=2008-12-17T16%3A34%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=8

(Note: Video in no way implies anyone is a dummy)

Cool video. Perhaps coupling that with a Tesla coil to fire electrons toward the center?
However, the lightsaber blade cannot be made of electrons. All forms of matter are made of atoms, which are surrounded by a cloud of electrons that are negatively charged. If the blade were made of this (controlled lightning), it would repel like charges (another blade), but also repel all other forms of matter. Like charges repel each other.
Positrons are positively charged. They would shear through all forms of matter, except another positron blade.
I'm hoping that a controlled stream of positrons can be influenced in some manner (Magnetic fields or gyroscopic spin) to make the positron blade work correctly and controllably.
But, like you, I wonder where to get a reliable stream of positrons to start the process....

eastern57
01-14-2009, 11:14 AM
"Makototsai LEDs - Direct from Makoto himself"

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Product.aspx?ProductId=357

How to assemble your LED string:

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=13487.0

swear000
01-14-2009, 12:06 PM
I started a thread on this topic over here too:
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=6135

If you didn't get a chance to read it already. It is where I will post developments on the project as I find them. It will be a long slow process I am afraid because the confined space and limitations on power will need to be overcome but I always welcome comments, suggestions, and ideas.

RandallFlagg
01-14-2009, 12:45 PM
"Makototsai LEDs - Direct from Makoto himself"

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Product.aspx?ProductId=357

How to assemble your LED string:

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=13487.0

Thank you much.

RandallFlagg
01-14-2009, 12:52 PM
I started a thread on this topic over here too:
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=6135

If you didn't get a chance to read it already. It is where I will post developments on the project as I find them. It will be a long slow process I am afraid because the confined space and limitations on power will need to be overcome but I always welcome comments, suggestions, and ideas.

Hmmm. Interesting.
And a link to an electronics site that I didn't know about. Thank you.
I miss all of those local electronics shops we used to have.

swear000
01-14-2009, 03:51 PM
yeah electron guns can range in the $10,000+ range. I thought it best to start as inexpensively as possible and see what can be done.

RandallFlagg
01-14-2009, 03:55 PM
yeah electron guns can range in the $10,000+ range. I thought it best to start as inexpensively as possible and see what can be done.

Maybe a cheap stungun?
Just a thought. Couldn't hurt to try.

swear000
01-14-2009, 06:40 PM
not exactly. Stunguns are illegal in some states and they already have sites that show how to make those. I am limiting my research to plasma and its associated behavioral characteristics.

I do know what you mean, however, as I was initially thinking of creating a "spark gap" and sending a gas through it. I still may attempt it if I can find a small enough ignition coil.

Control is going to be a major issue to prevent sparks from randomly ionizing through the atmosphere. I may have to look more closely at laminar flow to ensure that every thing travels in a column through the atmosphere. It is challenging because the atmosphere in general is composed of a variety of sub atomic particles all with different behavioral characteristics.

***Edit***
Ok I get what you mean about the stungun and using it as an electron source. It just dawned on me after reading your post. Maybe it is possible but the ones I have seen are way too big. Meditate on this I will....