PDA

View Full Version : Cheap 3w RGB LED

Adeptus
01-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Happened across this RGB LED:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4530
It has 1W per colour... would this be bright enough for a saber?
What optics (& heatsink?) would work with it?

Darth Morbius
01-12-2009, 07:10 PM
You do realize that this is a STORE forum right? Kind of bad form to post links to other stores here without Tim's permission.

Those RGB's are a Hong Kong Fooey Knockoff of a prolight RGB.

They are basically junk. YOu can use the normal optics and holders but you may have to modify the holder.

Those LED's from Dealextreme typically are not aligned properly on the PCB, and they will burn through junctions like a fat kid through a cake, if you don't hook them up properly. The polarity is marked wrong on them as well.

Ingchao
01-12-2009, 07:29 PM
You do realize that this is a STORE forum right? Kind of bad form to post links to other stores here without Tim's permission.

Those RGB's are a Hong Kong Fooey Knockoff of a prolight RGB.

They are basically junk. YOu can use the normal optics and holders but you may have to modify the holder.

Those LED's from Dealextreme typically are not aligned properly on the PCB, and they will burn through junctions like a fat kid through a cake, if you don't hook them up properly. The polarity is marked wrong on them as well.

I got 2 of these from them. In addition, the blue led is way dimmer than the green and red, both of which are also not bright enough. WAFWOT!
Also, stay away from their rechargeable Wii remote battery packs.
I got ripped in both cases.

xl97
01-12-2009, 08:36 PM
FYI.. all my P4 white LEDS came DOA.. but that was some time back..

FenderBender
01-13-2009, 12:38 AM
Just ordered a bunch of those RGBs from them, they all tested fine and you will see one in action tomorrow;) Though the polarity is marked wrong, however if you read the customer comments in the description it tells you as much. They are a lot brighter than the Prolights in the 616, and the standard optics and holders work fine. Its no Incom Rebel, bit its cool.

Darth_DevilGuy
01-13-2009, 12:16 PM
my advice is to start simple, go with standard components from TCSS to learn on that way you can learn the basics on something thats properties are well understood.

If you go out and hunt down components from all over the place you can make something cool, but you better be sure of your abilities because it's unlikely that anyone will be able to help you if it fails.

Lord Dottore Matto
01-13-2009, 12:26 PM
my advice is to start simple, go with standard components from TCSS to learn on that way you can learn the basics on something thats properties are well understood.

If you go out and hunt down components from all over the place you can make something cool, but you better be sure of your abilities because it's unlikely that anyone will be able to help you if it fails.

Well said DDG!