PDA

View Full Version : Lightsaber Hilarity Ensues

Kant Lavar
01-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Just for the hell of it, anyone got or want to make an at least somewhat amusing lightsaber-related picture? I was messing around on Despair.com and made this, and it's too good not to share, really.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/3520/luxeonposteriu4.jpg

gundamaniac
01-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Whoa dude! How did you get that awesome fade and aura on that lightsaber blade?! And how did you make yourself look lit up by the lightsaber? That is some AWESOME photoshop work there! How long did it take you to add in all those rotoscoping effects?!?!?!
:D

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
01-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Dude, I think the point is that it is NOT rotoscoped.

Lord Maul
01-11-2009, 11:04 PM
I think that Gundam was being sarcastic :p

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
01-11-2009, 11:07 PM
In that case, I'm just being dense. :)

Blame it on sleep deprivation. Maybe I should just go to bed.

I'll take a creative picture and add something positive to the thread tomorrow.

Jedi-Loreen
01-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Are Canadians too nice to know what sarcasm is?

Or are they just better at it than we are? ;)

Novastar
01-12-2009, 06:07 AM
How ironic... I was just looking at someone's "GIMP" saber tutorial (GIMP is a free graphic editor for those who do not know), and realized that roto'ed sabers look A LOT more like some of the video of the Flange sabers than I initially imagined.

The only thing I have to say about rotoscoped sabers for films or whatever is... well... it must be FAR easier to wave around a carbon fiber rod and/or an aluminum rod vs. an LED saber of ANY KIND.

They are even lighter than thin-walled blades with extremely lightweight hilts. I ought to know, lol.

Speaking of lightsaber hilarity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rScnzWRAkXc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7ERHSerLmc

Sorry to quasi-derail, but... man... either these guys are INSANE with the primitive controls... or they'll make it much more robust as the months pass? I dunno.

The screaming cats and repetitive sounds are pretty awful though. Worse than the Maul/Vader MRs. So... NEW ANNOYANCE RECORD for Novastar!!!!!

Angelus Lupus
01-12-2009, 07:58 AM
I've used a GIMP plugin to roto some pictures before. It's good, just select the blade and tweak the settings and it's all done for you.
But I'll agree with the original picture, and I even said as much in reply to one of Nova's birthday party vids. With his Lux V and smoke machine... well I bet you even ILM couldn't have roto'd it to look baetter than the reality.

Tom Starkiller
01-12-2009, 09:44 AM
You can't rotoscope pictures.

Hasid Lafre
01-12-2009, 10:08 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotoscoping

Rotoscoping is an animation technique in which animators trace over live action film movement frame by frame for use in animated films

Note frame by frame, isn't a frame technically a picture? A film is basically a very very complex flip book comprised of a bunch of pictures every other picture is slightly different to make it appear as movement.

So by that I would say yes you can rotoscope a picture and nowhere does it say that you cant rotoscope a picture.

Onli-Won Kanomi
01-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Nice one Kant!

I didnt know there was a site where you could make your own motivational posters like that...cool...thanks.

Tom Starkiller
01-12-2009, 11:27 AM
No, Hasid.

One picture or a frame by itself is not rotoscoping, as it isn't animating.

Rotoscoping is the process of animation. It's not a result, it's a process, and that process is not enhancing a photo, but animating footage, whether it be a lightsaber, cartoon or pulling an actor off of a blue/green screen.

Angelus Lupus
01-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Look, I was using it as a generic term. Everyone knew what I meant by it, and besides, rightly or wrongly the GIMP plugin I use is called Lightsabre Blade Rotoscope.

Jay-gon Jinn
01-12-2009, 12:00 PM
No, Hasid.

One picture or a frame by itself is not rotoscoping, as it isn't animating.

Rotoscoping is the process of animation. It's not a result, it's a process, and that process is not enhancing a photo, but animating footage, whether it be a lightsaber, cartoon or pulling an actor off of a blue/green screen.
This is one of those same types of issues as people calling Luxeon V's "5 watts." Though incorrect, it still gets used. There's no point in arguing over it.

deathblood2
01-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Rotoscoping is photoshoping for video

easy enough?

nice Kant

Tom Starkiller
01-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Wasn't arguing, was correcting. :P

@ Nova:
"The only thing I have to say about rotoscoped sabers for films or whatever is... well... it must be FAR easier to wave around a carbon fiber rod and/or an aluminum rod vs. an LED saber of ANY KIND."

That is true, although I do have to admit that it's a hell of a lot easier to rotoscope an LED blade, not to mention that it casts light and is therefore more technically correct.

Alcfalath
01-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Wasn't arguing, was correcting. :P

@ Nova:
"The only thing I have to say about rotoscoped sabers for films or whatever is... well... it must be FAR easier to wave around a carbon fiber rod and/or an aluminum rod vs. an LED saber of ANY KIND."

That is true, although I do have to admit that it's a hell of a lot easier to rotoscope an LED blade, not to mention that it casts light and is therefore more technically correct.

Im with Nova on this one... Ive rotoscoped quite a few of my groups training sessions, and that has been with an LED blade, spraypainted Carbon Fiber, Wooden Dowel, and PVC wrapped in electrical tape.... And the spraypainted Carbon Fiber wins out on Practicality by far, especially with rotoscoping... Dowels are actually easier, though they break way too easy (as is the PVC) and are too heavy for stage combat..

LED blades, as nice as they look when not in direct sunlight, are much more difficult to keep an exact line.. Sure you may get the light effect, but its much easier adding that in afterwards..

My opinion anyways...

But, getting back to the 'Real' topic at hand... no, its not rotoscoped, or photoshoped, but a simple MS paint, when my PC wasnt being nice to me...

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w238/Alcfalath/Hopelessness.jpg

Im on the left btw ;)

ARKM
01-12-2009, 10:24 PM
On camera, LED blades tend to be too bright in semi-dark to dark enviroments and as such, the blade "blows out" making for a very fat looking blade. So if you are going to film in a dark enviroment and rotoscope the footage, an EL blade would probably work much better. However the drawback is that you don't get as much interactive lighting.

Goodman
01-12-2009, 10:33 PM
Hilarity, indeed!

Novastar: *meow* kill me now! *meow*

ARKM: I prefer fat looking blades...

Alcfalath: WIN. And who brought the Impala? lol... *runs off to try and make my own poster of hopelessness*