PDA

View Full Version : How many LEDs can joe jedi 616 power?

vadeblade
12-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Hi,
I searched but the key words i used keeps turning up too many unrelated results. I have seen it hinted at but I have not seen real numbers or specs. So I ask. Hopefully someone knows for sure.

So how many Luxeon LEDs can one 616 board power up at once either in series or parallel? Lets say I have 3 Rebels green on a star, would a 616 be useless for that, how many of the 3 could I connect to it?

I think i understand the board's max voltage hovers around 6v. I'm not really sure how much mA it puts out.

I managed to get a hold of two ForceFX Construction Sets. I plan to salvage one board for my custom lightsaber. Not sure what I'll do with the other board yet.

I just need to know if I need a buckpuck to actually drive all/some of the LEDs.

Thanks,
V

xwingband
12-29-2008, 05:39 PM
You'll need a buckpuck or something else. The joe-jedi is made to power a pro-light LED. So it will only put out 350mA or so. I've never metered it but certainly not enough to power multiple high powered LEDs at once.

A simple resistor replacement might be feasible if you just want the switching from the board. You'll be able to see the resistor on the board. I don't see why snipping and replacing it will cause any problems.

vadeblade
12-29-2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks Xwingband.
A buckpuck, that's what I figured. I allocated space for one plus the 12v needed in my design. i justed wanted to make sure I wasn't over-thinking the design.