PDA

View Full Version : Red Lux III's?

Eco
12-23-2008, 12:55 AM
I've heard that Red Lux III's are supposed to be very bright. I'm still not grasping how that can be so when they only produce a measly 40 lumens.
Explain, por favor?

And also, what are these LEE filters and where does one locate them?
Are they the same thing as what Tim carries?

Novastar
12-23-2008, 01:32 AM
Eco--you need to do more homework around here. Red Lux III is not 40 lumens by any stretch of the imagination.

Red-Orange Lux III (for example)... is rated @ 190.

Still... there is no end-all be-all for brightness. The best test is the "what do I SEE" test--when you light it all up. And many things come into play regarding brightness--all of which I've covered at least a half a dozen times in other threads.

Agash
12-23-2008, 02:57 AM
The human eye does not see color eqal over the whole varity of colors.
Means some colors are seen stronger and some weaker.
So technically spoken are the lumens not so much than other LEDs. Visually seen is that it apears to be very bright.

Lee filters are plastic cards like the ones in front of the lamps at your fav disco. You can get that and carve it into shape to be placed right before the optics.
Tim sells color discs which are easier to maintain but not so colorfull.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
12-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Here's a comparison photo I took a while ago. In the second frame, there are three red sabers. The first one is a MR 616/Joe Jedi saber. The second is a Lux I in a PVC saber, and the third saber is a red Lux III. Yep, it's red. For some reason, bright red sabers photograph yellow. I haven't found a way around this yet.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1126239/616compare.JPG

For the Lee filters, go to their website and find a "Contact Us" page. If you ask for a swatch book, they'll send it free of charge. It's a book about 1.5" x 3", with hundreds of paper thin plastic films in every color under the sun. Just cut out circles with scissors and go to town.

You can put them in the blade end of the blade holder, but you risk losing them when you take the blade out. The filters are thin enough that you can put them on the lens side of the blade holder when you put it together so they won't fall out.

Sairon
12-23-2008, 01:52 PM
lee filters work best with white p4s and make great yellow sabers

Eco
12-24-2008, 04:41 PM
@Novastar::
Yeah, oops.
I think I got mixed up with the Blue Lux V's on the lumens output.
My bad. :P

@Obi-Dar::
Okay, thanks very much for that little tidbit about the swatch book!