PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Robes thread #68132053281

Kant Lavar
12-20-2008, 11:28 PM
To go along with my Coruscant Knights-esque costume mentioned earlier, I'm also looking at getting some Jedi robes made. Specifically, Corellian Jedi robes as described in I, Jedi (coincidentally one of if not the best EU book I've read), with green and black components.

The robes, cloak, obi, and tabards I'm going to get from Twin Rose, belt and pouches from Saberbelt, and boots from here (http://www.911buycostume.com/Pages/gogoboots/boot01.htm), which I found from the Padawan's Guide, IIRC. (Internet is running slow and not loading the Guide, so I can't double-check that.)

The one thing that my Google-fu is failing me at is what the hell you do for pants. The Padawan's Guide seemed to say that COTS pants would work, but that seems a bit odd to me for some reason. Anyone have any ideas/concepts/known sources I can get, and/or want to warn me away from any of the ideas I already have?

EDIT: Bah, sorry. "COTS" is an acronym in the military which means "commercial off-the-shelf." It refers to anything we use, especially software, that doesn't have to be modified from the way a civilian would get it for its use by the military.

Jedi-Loreen
12-20-2008, 11:39 PM
Lots of people in the Rebel Legion wear D i c k i e's pants. Just remove the back pockets if they show under your tunic.

I wear strecth pants, I've also heard of people wearing scrubs pants in brown. Or black, I guess, in your case.

psab keel
12-21-2008, 12:29 AM
Hello,

Might I suggest you try ebay for the boots. You can get the same exact ones on there at a much better price.

Psab

Silent_Jedi
12-21-2008, 08:40 AM
For the pants, I wear dockers myself, the pocket is hidden with only the slit for it out. It's above the robeline so hit's hidden.

Darth Leximus
12-21-2008, 09:36 AM
I'm actually planning to do this same thing. I, Jedi is my favorite SW book as well. It'll be interesting to see both of them when they are finished and see 2 different outlooks on the concept.

I've used baseball pants in the past. They tuck into boots really nicely and have no pockets, plus you can get them in a HUGE variety of colors for about $15

sekrogue1985
12-21-2008, 09:48 AM
those boots are what i wear with a little added silver thingies from some old biker boots i found but yeah put some DR. Scholls in those and they are perfect!

Zero Unit
12-21-2008, 12:02 PM
Of course, if you have the money, you can always go here:

http://motorcowboy.zoovy.com/

I myself, however, use a pair of SPLAV Spetsnaz boots, since I am too cheap to go and actually buy a pair of Jedi boots. And for pants, I use a pair of brown suit pants that I found at the Salvation Army, which work rather well (although the crease down the front of each leg is not so great).

Kant Lavar
12-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I know Motorcowboy's stuff is good and all, but boots from them would pretty much double the budget for this costume. :mrgreen: All else being equal, I think I'd much rather just get the $40 boots I found, especially if people are saying they work.

Jedi-Loreen
12-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Arkai wears those boots like you want to get.

They are vinyl, so he says if you use lots of Armor All on them, you can keep them in good shape. Don't let the vinyl dry out, or they will start to crack and split.

Jay-gon Jinn
12-21-2008, 12:22 PM
I had a pair of those boots before....they cracked on me th third time I wore them. I even kept them in my nice climate controlled closet, too. I got the current boots I wear from this place:
www.theleatherboutique.com

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
12-21-2008, 12:33 PM
I had a pair of those boots as well. Wore them to work for Halloween and wrecked them in a day.

I got lucky on Ebay recently, and got a good pair of real leather ones relatively cheap. You just have to keep watching.

Kant Lavar
12-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Hm. Sounds like putting some more money into the boots than I had planned may be in order then. :???:

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
12-21-2008, 01:01 PM
If you are planning to wear them regularly, I'd suggest spending the money on a good pair. I know it's a little more at the outset, but they'll be worth the investment.

Don't rush into it. I waited months before I bought mine. I kept watching on Ebay, and saw many pairs of boots go way beyond what I wanted to spend. I finally found a pair I liked, and by some fluke, nobody else bid on them. I got them for the opening bid amount.

Edit:

I found a picture of them. They're a little shorter than "canon", but they are the right style, and they fit me perfectly.
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff102/dar4jc/100_1267.jpg

MasterRoop
12-21-2008, 02:09 PM
For the pants, im using my dad's brown sears work pants. my dad used to do installation for sears so he had some pants. and they look great! so if you look and see any those work.