PDA

View Full Version : Momentary chrome or lighted switch recommendations

Spaznick
12-20-2008, 12:27 AM
Hi all,

Curious if anyone has come across a micro Momentary Chrome or Lighted button for sell on the net. I have come across quite a few momentary anti theft switches; though they are all way to bulky:(

I'm looking for something small with a chrome pin cap or led in it (I know the LED ones are usually way to big, but chrome will suffice). I'm thinking that I may find one on like a Swiss army flashlight or something similar. Any recommendations:confused:

Also what is the typical diameter more experienced saber smiths would recommend on a MHS hilt?

Thanks a bunch:razz:

Spaznick
12-20-2008, 12:29 AM
Sorry, I meant to specify; diameter on the momentary button.

On a side note, do you think I can fit one of the TCSS red led indicator lights in the center of a choke style 1 short and have enough room to run wires for a switch and led through it?

Look at my sig for an example of what I'm working on

B5813
12-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Dude, that's a sweet saber you've got in that picture! I'll tell you that the inside diameter of the short choke section is 13/16" or .8125". The dimensions of both LED indicator housings are given in the TCSS store. In theory you could drill/tap a hole in the choke section for one. The housing would end up extending about midway into the choke. If all your feeding through the choke are other wires I can't see why this wouldn't work. It wouldn't obstruct much of the pathway from your lower handle to the upper, ribbed section.

B5813
12-20-2008, 08:20 PM
and totally go for building this hilt... it'll definitely turn out to be sweet.

Spaznick
12-21-2008, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the help! I have placed the order with TIM for the PC and machining changes. I already have the grips machined so all that’s left is using a dremel to cut out a shroud and have it powder coated.

B5813, the saber build I'm doing was semi inspired by the one you recently did. I was kinda hesitant about trying to dremel out a shroud, but my brother in law and dad are mechanical engineers (Areojet) so I think I can persuade them to help me out with pointers. I'm a bit of a nit picker when it comes to clean lines and the like, so I expect the shroud will take a few weeks to complete.

BTW, did you use a flat sheet of Aluminum on that last saber shroud? I'm debating whether to use a flat sheet template or using some aluminum tubing.

B5813
12-21-2008, 08:28 AM
I used aluminum tubing. I don't tend to like using the standard "sink tube" because the wall thickness looks fairly thin to me. The tube I got from online metals was aluminum 6061-T6 bare drawn tube. Dimensions: Outside diameter of 1.5", inside diameter of 1.43", wall thickness of .035". As a solid tube the inside diameter was too small to slide over the MHS parts. When cutting the shroud piece I split the tube right down the center from end to end. Look at the pictures close and you'll notice the tube doesn't connect to itself... it is split open all the way down. This opened up the tube just enough so that it fit over the MHS pieces perfectly.

Also, I really doubt it will take too long for you to complete your custom work. Again, plan it out in your head. Put the design down on paper or posterboard and cut that out. Wrap it around the other MHS pieces to make sure it's really what you want. Using the same template wrap it around your tubing and trace the lines with a permanent, fine tip marker. The cutting and sanding won't take nearly as much time as you think.

Also, where are you getting your grips from?

Spaznick
12-22-2008, 01:18 AM
I'm geting them from a vendor JK-Sabers (I was going to just machine them, but my brother bought them as a gift for me)

B5813
12-22-2008, 08:38 AM
I've seen them... shipping from Germany. Wondered how long it would take to get them. I also wondered if they fit tight side by side all the way around the MHS pieces with no gaps or overlaps when the final piece is put down.

B5813
12-22-2008, 10:36 PM
I ordered the Mara Jade handle strips too. You got me thinking about the lower handle portion being covered in those and I'm going to make a second lower grip section. Hope shipping from Germany is fast!

Spaznick
12-24-2008, 05:01 AM
Yeah wasn't too bad, I just got them today (about a week after the order). I'm thinking about anodizing the strips a dark blue/tealish color. My dad is into building model rockets and has been working on anodizing some aluminum in his garage, since I'm heading up there for x-mas I will see if I can't talk him into anodizing some parts for me.