PDA

View Full Version : Dim Lux III with recent Vader Hasbro board

aspirant
12-14-2008, 10:08 PM
I've taken a recently purchased Vader Force Action board and added a 4AA holder. I am driving the Luxeon directly off the board and all works fine, except for the fact that the blade is pretty dim. I'm using thick-walled 1", with the standard diffuser tube, 5 degree lens and reflector tip.

I've tried both red and the red/orange LEDs. The blade is a lot dimmer than I expected - in a room with a single overhead flourescent light the color is visible at each end of the blade but washed out in the middle. The youtube vids I've seen of this setup seem to be a lot brighter.

I'm going to recheck my connections and get new batteries (using generics atm). I've seen some diagrams in the forum where there appears to be a wire from + battery lead tied into the + LED lead. On the other hand, I've seen diagrams without. I'm not sure if this is a way to get the LED brighter, or simply a difference in Hasbro board revisions.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could offer suggestions, or tell me if my expectations are wildly inaccurate. :)

aspirant
12-14-2008, 10:15 PM
36" blade, btw.

master roar
05-23-2009, 02:40 PM
yes i also had this problem with everything that you did but with a k2

cardcollector
05-23-2009, 07:44 PM
It seems you may have a weak connection.

I am using a Amber Lux III (less lumen output than a red) with the same force-action board off 3AA's and my saber looks fine in normal/low light.

Make sure all your connection's are secure;)

Lord Dottore Matto
05-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Also, a thickwalled blade is not appropriate for that setup

mihunai
05-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Youtube movies make sabers seem brighter than in real-life anyway.
I was allso a bit set back by the lack of sunshine brightness like the clips show,
but thats just the way it is

mTm

Darth Vane
07-14-2009, 04:50 AM
i agree with LDM. the thick wall might be your problem. try going with ultras mid grade or the TCSS thin walled.

cardcollector
07-14-2009, 08:15 AM
i agree with LDM. the thick wall might be your problem. try going with ultras mid grade or the TCSS thin walled.

I don't think that the thickwall is the problem. As I said before, I'm using the same board.
I'm using a thickwall blade with 4 feet of cellophane driven @ 4.5volts.
It looks bright enough to me-
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/picture.php?albumid=114&pictureid=785

Lord Dottore Matto
07-14-2009, 10:52 AM
guys, it has been 8 months since he asked the question and more than 7 since he responded. He has it answered by now, so lets let this thread die like it should.;)