PDA

View Full Version : Powder doating and Screw tapping question

samurai_rob
12-05-2008, 04:33 PM
OK, I'm getting powder coat done and was needing some screws for either a control box or clamp and possibly a shroud later drilled and tapped. Do I need to do the drilling and tapping before the powder coat is applied or can I wait until after the coat is applied? Does it really matter one way or the other? How easy is it to mess up your coat after it's on?

Thanks for any info! :D

Jedi-Loreen
12-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Personally, I'd rather drill and tap the screw holes first, because I'd be afraid of messing up the powder coat if I did it afterward.

It would easy to chase the threads with the tap and clean them out after the powder coating went on.

samurai_rob
12-05-2008, 06:07 PM
That's what I was thinking. The only thing is that I haven't desided exactly on a final design but was wanting to go ahead and get the powder coat done while I have the x-tra cash. What I was wanting done will cost around $100.00 when I factor in shipping and, if I'm not careful, Christmas will steal all my extra dough. I always end up over-spending when buying my christmas gifts. If I use the control box I've got, I'll be able to go ahead and drill those, but I was thinking about a clamp instead and maybe a shroud later, so I don't know whether to wait or just go for it! :confused:

Lord Dottore Matto
12-05-2008, 07:09 PM
I always drill & tap first.

Crystal Chambers
01-12-2010, 12:08 PM
I know this is a little "necro" but what does it matter if you're mounting something over the hole...if you damage the PC around the hole the overlay/shroud will cover it anyways. Unless you want it to look good apart like if you plan to sell it.

Mainly the only time I could see being concerned about this is for a retention screw, or maybe recharge port..well anything without a nut or larger piece around it.

Onli-Won Kanomi
01-12-2010, 04:15 PM
It would most likely 'matter' in the case of retention holes where setscrews not thumbscrews are to be used since the edges of those holes would be 'exposed' unlike those with capped/headed screws or where a covertec or other material was fitted.

Sometimes it might not even matter with setscrew retention holes if for example they were drilled in grooves where O-rings were intended to cover them..this would depend on design.