PDA

View Full Version : corbin or tcss?

astromech_kuhns
12-03-2008, 10:46 PM
so i just want opinion on how many people like the tcss battle blades vs the corbin style film wrapped battle blade.

Lord Maul
12-03-2008, 10:55 PM
They are geared toward different things. Corbin is for a OT style coring effect. TCSS is for evenness and duel ability. You really can't compare the two.

astromech_kuhns
12-03-2008, 11:06 PM
ya but what do people prefer using? are more people liking the corbin ot style and apreciating its old style look or are people like well tcss style suites me more i like the eveness.

astromech_kuhns
12-03-2008, 11:36 PM
wait so is tcss saber blades stronger than the corbin blades?

Jedi-Loreen
12-04-2008, 01:45 AM
wait so is tcss saber blades stronger than the corbin blades?

No. Not with the two battle blades.

Did you read the description of both blades? They both have the 1/8" thick walled blades, there's no difference in strength. I can see how Maul's answer could be a little confusing.

I don't prefer one over the other, I use both, for different times and purposes.

I prefer to fight, duel, whatever, with my TCSS battle blade. My Corbin blade is my show blade, for Conventions or Costumes Events.

I haven't tried any of the thin walled "show" blades.

Novastar
12-04-2008, 01:48 AM
The only thing that I can say here is that the Corbin blade film becomes pointless *IF* you are doing a "resistor only" or "direct drive" saber.

This isn't a dig on any style of diffusion... it simply is about the fact that the "ramping up/down" effect is lost if you're going direct drive w/ corbin film.

Granted, you'd still have the whole "plume of light at the bottom... thinner/less light at top" effect... which is very much akin to the OLDER posters of the original SW EP IV posters.

Definitely a matter of preference overall, but... if you want the best even brightness, the "Ultra/Gelukhan/giftwrap" style of film is the best at present. God we need a good name for that. Something that is memorable... not "cellophane film". :)

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
12-04-2008, 05:11 AM
Dual film blade?

astromech_kuhns
12-04-2008, 07:33 AM
The only thing that I can say here is that the Corbin blade film becomes pointless *IF* you are doing a "resistor only" or "direct drive" saber.

This isn't a dig on any style of diffusion... it simply is about the fact that the "ramping up/down" effect is lost if you're going direct drive w/ corbin film.

Granted, you'd still have the whole "plume of light at the bottom... thinner/less light at top" effect... which is very much akin to the OLDER posters of the original SW EP IV posters.

Definitely a matter of preference overall, but... if you want the best even brightness, the "Ultra/Gelukhan/giftwrap" style of film is the best at present. God we need a good name for that. Something that is memorable... not "cellophane film". :)

so direct drive you mean driver board?

also the ultra/gelukhan/giftwrap blade is the tcss blade then?

Jedi-Loreen
12-04-2008, 07:50 AM
No, and no.

Direct drive means resistored, no kind of driver used. Read Nova's first sentence again, that's what he means.

Do you see any other blade listed as such, in the shop? The TCSS blade has "our standard diffuser tube", that's not any kind of film.

You will either have to buy a blade from Ultrasabers, or buy an empty tube and make your own using the gift wrap. If you do that, don't forget to order the blade tip.

My Corbin film blade is now a dual film blade, it has a double wrap of Corbin film, and about 4 ft of the clear cellophane gift wrap.

I don't get as much of the "coring" effect with that gift wrap, which I don't care so much about, since both my sabers are driven by buck pucks (that is a type of driver, but doesn't give the ramp up-ramp down of power to the LED), and because I get a more evenly lit blade.

vargose
12-04-2008, 07:52 AM
No, tcss is a solid tube diffuser.

ultra/gelukhan/giftwrap is clear cellophane gift wrap, which you can get at any craft store.

Check out the blade discussion threads in the thread index (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=553)

DizzyKungFu
12-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Has anyone gotten better results out of quad-wrap Corbin over single or double? I recently got one, but I don't see much difference. But I've only tried it with one color (blue K2) so far.

psab keel
12-04-2008, 01:52 PM
What about, polycello blade?

Polypropelyne / Cellophane.

Haha

Darth Leximus
12-04-2008, 01:57 PM
i notice a difference between double and quad when using a red lux III. Even more so when cello is added

Novastar
12-04-2008, 04:47 PM
What about, polycello blade?

Polypropelyne / Cellophane.

Hahaheheheh--that's why I love knowing a little history on you Psab (thanks to Corbin)... you're always thinking of innovative stuff, heheh.

Yeah, I don't know... I just don't KNOW what to call it! I mean... hell, maybe we should open a thread, have people shoot out suggestions, then take the best 5 or so and open a poll to vote.

The only reason I'm even suggesting it is so that the "diffusion confusion"... CAN END. :)

Not like it really WOULD, but... hey at least I'd feel better about it, hahahhahaha :mrgreen:

astromech_kuhns
12-04-2008, 08:00 PM
so the tcss preassembled blade does have the film in it? im pretty sure it does. here is a link to the one im talking about getting i think ill get one of each like J-LO.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/LED-TCSS-style-Battle-blade-1-OD--P155.aspxit says that it has diffuser film so i guess it does work.

Lord Maul
12-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Complete LED "TCSS style" Battle blade.
These blades are built using 1"OD x 3/4"ID x 1/8" thick walled Polycarbonate tube.
They feature our standard diffuser tube. Reflective disc on the base of the shouldered tip is standard.

Dude, did you read the product description?

Considering the fact that I have bought 4 or 5 of that blade, I can assure you that it DOES NOT have any film in it. It's a diffuser tube, NOT film.

Jedi-Loreen
12-04-2008, 08:20 PM
*sigh*

I'm not even sure he's looked at the Thread Index that he now has in his own sig for other people to see. :rolleyes:

He's apparently not paying attention to what people are posting in this thread. I made your same point, Maul, in post #9.

astromech_kuhns
12-04-2008, 08:46 PM
ive read the thread index. i thought it said diffusing film and it said it was a complete blade. so i figured the film in it was the actual film. i did make this mistake i whent back to the thread index and checked again. i rechecked the blade again and it said diffuser tube.

diffuser is the tube a type of tube used. the film is not called diffuser thats seperate. i misread the discription part.

Lord Maul
12-04-2008, 08:50 PM
diffuser is the tube a type of tube used. the film is not called diffuser thats seperate. i misread the discription part.

That's wrong.

Diffusion (for our application) is simply spreading and evening out the light. You can do that with the TCSS tube diffuser or a film diffuser. It's just different types.

astromech_kuhns
12-04-2008, 08:54 PM
ok so the tcss bade is tube diffusing not film diffusing.
and id still need to add film.

Jedi-Loreen
12-04-2008, 09:00 PM
I've heard of people adding some gift wrap to the TCSS battle blade, but it's not necessary, in a dueling blade.

You certainly don't want to put Corbin film with a diffuser tube, that would be useless.

astromech_kuhns
12-04-2008, 09:05 PM
ok so i think ill buy the corbin style blade now. they have the emiters back in stock.:p

Jedi-Loreen
12-04-2008, 11:19 PM
Go for it. ;)

DizzyKungFu
12-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Also, the polypropylene trick works well for both types of diffusers and really makes a visible improvement (with the Corbin tho, you're going to end up losing a little of the "coring", but you'll more than make up for it in brightness and evenness).