PDA

View Full Version : Charge three 3.7V li-ion cells in the hilt?

Goodman
12-02-2008, 06:54 AM
Alright so I've planned out the wiring of a third 3.7V cell to a double AA holder/US2.0 combo.

I want to wire in a charge port, but my main question is:

What charger can I use to charge three 3.7V protected UltraFire li-ion cells in the hilt? My WF-139 is out of question. There is this charger from TCSS...

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/37V-148V-Li-Ion-Smart-charger--P129.aspx

...would I use use the "12.6" setting? I believe so.

I can't tell if the chart means three 3.7 cells (for a total of 11.1V) or not. The "12.6" is confusing, and I just want to make sure before buying.

I'd prefer to buy from TCSS if at all possible :)

xwingband
12-02-2008, 08:57 AM
Yes, you'd use the 12.6 setting.

I'd advise heavily against three though. The board max is 12V. The reason the spot on the switch says 12.6 is because that's what 3 freshly charged batteries will be giving out voltage wise, 12.6V. This is above the max and it MAY handle it but would I want to try it, no.

There really isn't too much of a reason to use three either. The vast majority of LEDs will function on two.

Strydur
12-02-2008, 09:09 AM
I also advise against recharging the ultrafires in the hilt.

beggarsoutpost
12-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Ultra just posted a video the other day where he's running 3 ultra fires on the US 2.0 in order to get peak performance out of the Lux V...and I've been told you could charge the ultra fires on the recharge port in the hilt.....so now I'm confused....

Goodman
12-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, but now I share Beggar's confusion, considering Ultra's videos and posts showing the board able to handle the initial voltage of three 3.7V cells (4V+ each before settling to 3.6-3.7V)) just fine.

Ultra and another user also confirmed that three cells with a LuxV green on the Lux III overdrive setting is in fact brighter than the same setup on two cells, which is the only reason why I'm going with three cells...

Then again, I suppose taking the batteries out to charge them is only a minor inconvenience in comparison to the added safety benefits. :cool:

Strydur
12-02-2008, 10:28 AM
I just saw the video..if Ultra says its ok the it must be ok so go for it.

As far as charging the batts in the hilt. They may work fine that way I just think they should be charged individually and not left in the hilt for a long time.