PDA

View Full Version : damaged FX!

astromech_kuhns
12-02-2008, 12:20 AM
my obiwan kenobi FX has been damaged! i realy dont know how it happened heres a pic of it

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3280/3076134575_28b547a8bc_s.jpg

srry its grainy.

but basically on the activation box the medal got hit and pushed it up ripping at it and bending it.:(

astromech_kuhns
12-02-2008, 12:21 AM
wow its small. ill add it as a attachment and see if it helps.

eastern57
12-02-2008, 02:36 AM
Gah! You're killing me, son! ;) :D

What your question?

Novastar
12-02-2008, 04:09 AM
That photo looks like the UFO siting pic my cousin's uncle took.

Just kidding.

Seriously, the photo is impossible. If I had to guess--your activation slider is jacked up. The metal bent and/or the switch mechanism is jammed.

In my opinion, you'd need to remove the entire switch assembly and box and play around with it until you understand why it's failing. If you can't easily repair it... you might just find a better way to mount a differing switch.

The switch is pretty easy... it's just two leads, and it's fairly tough to go wrong with repairing it. Crossing the two leads (akin to "hot wiring") without a "switch" closes the circuit and the saber goes on.
All the switch does is cut the two lines and bring them together in a fancier way. :)

astromech_kuhns
12-02-2008, 10:40 AM
no no no no. i wasnt saying that it wont turn on, thats simly cause i dont have batteries in it. on the activation box the very corner of it got completly hit adn torn away from the activation box so now its like just looks bad. i just figured id share my sadness with you all. adn kinda wierd to me cause well the hilts supposed to be steel.:confused:

xl97
12-02-2008, 01:53 PM
looks like a pic of a lockness monster sighting.. LOL

astromech_kuhns
12-02-2008, 02:09 PM
oh comon it cant be that bad!;) its camera phon epic thats why its bad.:rolleyes:

Jedi-Loreen
12-02-2008, 02:14 PM
So........

Have you tried bending it back down?

Maybe you should be more careful from now on as to how you store your MR sabers. ;)

astromech_kuhns
12-02-2008, 02:37 PM
it looks like itl break off if i bend it down and its nicely on a display in my room on my wall.;)

Ghostbat
12-03-2008, 10:34 AM
... kinda wierd to me cause well the hilts supposed to be steel.

Steel encompasses a lot of different metals of widely varying durability. You hit an MR hard enough and it IS going to give. Also, I do not have the Obi, but in the case of the Annakin there is a steel tube, but the activator box seems much more like aluminum.

oh comon it cant be that bad!

It's pretty bad :) I'll add to the UFO and Loch Ness comparisons by saying it looks like those flyby shots of the face on mars, could be just about anything :)

astromech_kuhns
12-03-2008, 09:21 PM
;)i jsut cant believe you guys cant tell what it is!:D:eek: i dont hit them i display them.

Lord Dottore Matto
12-04-2008, 12:24 AM
dude, it is pretty hard to tell what it is...

Novastar
12-04-2008, 01:54 AM
It is a fully grown, live turkey.

Get some glasses that work LDM. :D

astromech_kuhns
12-04-2008, 07:36 AM
:oops: ok maybe the reason i can see it is couse i know what im looking at. the point is my saber is damaged!:(

Jedi-Loreen
12-04-2008, 08:18 AM
Ok, boo hoo. http://judgesabersmith.com/Smileys/default/012.gif

Sorry your saber is damaged.

If there's no other point to this thread, let's move along.

Darth Vane
12-04-2008, 07:32 PM
my Luke ANH has been acting weird lately as well. i have black dogs and they shed and so hair gets every wear. so when i went to go wipe it of the lights flickerd for a split second then only half the blade was lit up then all of a sudden the blade is fully lit but the sound is distorted. then you do the same thing a few times then it starts working again. at least your electronics arnt screwed up.

and dose any one know if heat can cause this? it has been on the stand on top of my scorpions tank for about a month know, and that sits on top of a section of a space heater.

Lord Maul
12-04-2008, 07:33 PM
This isn't the forum for "F" bombs. Please edit it.

Have you ever dueled with the saber? That's the primary cause for dark spots. The individual LEDs can break when you duel.

Darth Vane
12-05-2008, 04:12 AM
sorry about that maul. and its not dead spots its something else i will post a video up to show wats going on.

Jedi-Loreen
12-05-2008, 09:20 AM
How much heat are we talking about, here? Too much could probablly damage the board. I don't know why you'd keep your saber in a place like that.

Start with the easy and obvious thing, like the batteries. How old are they? Try some fresh ones and see if it does the same thing.

Darth Vane
12-05-2008, 10:43 AM
hmmmm you know what i might just try that. i have always had that there but the problem did not start till i bought the batteries........... when i get home from school i will try that.

Darth Vane
12-09-2008, 08:24 PM
ok so i tried putting new batteries in it and it it still bugging out on me. oh well christmas is coming around in two weeks and my parents are HOPEFULLY getting me my saber parts. of course i have been saying i am getting them for almost a year now but you never know!. so i am thinking of just gutting the board out of it if i get the parts......

Novastar
12-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Try adding a tiny bit of "buffer" material between the battery pack (at the speaker) and the pommel. This might press the pins into the saber better (hard to explain).

If the connections are bad or loose... you may get bizarre results.

Another thing is... check the pins inside the battery/speaker pack cavity that is in the saber... or the holds on the battery pack themselves. Look for issues that might prevent contact.

Clean the pins with a little rubbing alcohol if need be. The holes on the batt pack too if need be.

Darth Vane
12-10-2008, 09:35 AM
thanks for the tip nova i will try that when i get home.

quick question though any one know if the replica red graflex button thumbscrew they sell here will fit were the stock one goes? i (stupidly) epoxyed the red cap on when it fell out not thinking that i will not beable to get it off with out completly destroying it.

so when i have to take the board out i will need to destroy that whole screw. i am still whanting to keep the hild and mabey(hands held together in prayer with heavens light shining down upon me) if i ever get liek a Ultrasound or CF i will just modify it to use its origganil sound board and upgrade my MHS.

P.s. Dont Ask About the Prayer thing....i am on a little bit of a ADHD phase right now.... lol

Darth Vane
12-10-2008, 08:10 PM
quick update. so i toke the stand off the tank for a few days and now the thing works like brand new.... i blame the heat. lol

Novastar
12-11-2008, 04:09 AM
Huh... interesting.

Well, I guess maybe the heat was warping things a bit... dunno.

As to the screws and that sort of thing--don't worry too much--there are almost always aftermarket solutions for parts in case some things get jacked up. I don't know the exact part to which you're referring, but you can think about replacing it if you ever destroy it.

Darth Vane
12-11-2008, 05:01 AM
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=3

since tim dose not thave a pic of the Luke Anh i will show what i mean here.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=3

the one that is in the sixth pic down.

Blue Fox
12-12-2008, 11:58 PM
it could have been condensation too. cold metal tube over a hot tank... o.O

Darth Vane
12-15-2008, 11:38 AM
i haveno clue honestly..... but know i am thinking of gutting it for thr board if i get my MHS parts for christmas. then i will be putting the hilt up on FX-Sabers for trade of a ultrasound or for $70-$75.(mostly for a ultrasound 2.0)

so i will update with a post in the gallery if i get my parts in with a link to my post for any one intrested.