PDA

View Full Version : quick driver board questions

astromech_kuhns
12-01-2008, 01:18 AM
ok so i looked through all 22 pages in this forum section and there was only like two threads that were about driver boards and they didnt quite awnser my questions plus i was unsure how up to date they were. when i read the beggining things explaining about LED vs EL and stuff. the two step thing for noobs. while i read the driver board area, what it sounded like to me is this:

the driver board acts as a resister
the driver board gives the ramp on/off look
the driver board adds a clash and shimmer look
the driver board hooks up to the switch, Led and battery

if any of this is incorect please let me know as well as if i left something out.

but it doesnt have a area for sound. and as far as i could see it only is used with the LUXIII?

i know how to solder so thats not a problem but does it make it more comlicated to hook it up? it seems it makes it easier.
how much room is needed for it to fit? im running mainly sinktube about 14 inches will this work? im guessng it will you can only get so big with a saber;)

tahnks in advance!

Jay-gon Jinn
12-01-2008, 02:50 AM
ok so i looked through all 22 pages in this forum section and there was only like two threads that were about driver boards and they didnt quite awnser my questions plus i was unsure how up to date they were. when i read the beggining things explaining about LED vs EL and stuff. the two step thing for noobs. while i read the driver board area, what it sounded like to me is this:

the driver board acts as a resister
the driver board gives the ramp on/off look
the driver board adds a clash and shimmer look
the driver board hooks up to the switch, Led and battery

if any of this is incorect please let me know as well as if i left something out.

but it doesnt have a area for sound. and as far as i could see it only is used with the LUXIII?

i know how to solder so thats not a problem but does it make it more comlicated to hook it up? it seems it makes it easier.
how much room is needed for it to fit? im running mainly sinktube about 14 inches will this work? im guessng it will you can only get so big with a saber;)

tahnks in advance!

If you're talking about this:
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Luxeon-3w-driver-V2-P230.aspx
There is no sound...it is just what it says it is....a driver for the Luxeon III led, (and any other led with the same power requirements) which means it regulates the current and voltage to what is required to properly light a Lux III. It really isn't any more complicated to wire up than a Hasbro suundboard.

your list is correct, btw.

FallenJedi
12-01-2008, 03:12 AM
Ive got something that might help you a bit i think ;)

It was made for me, but i dont see any reason why i cant share it :)

If you want to know more about the corbin driver, and having sound with it, PM me and ill send you a link to a very helpfull video.

astromech_kuhns
12-01-2008, 12:28 PM
pm sent.

so is the corbin driver diffrent from that one?

and so is it work that much better than a resister?

Ghostbat
12-01-2008, 12:41 PM
and so is it work that much better than a resister?

A resistor is a simple on/off solution. The LED lights when the switch is turned on and it goes dark when it is turned off, no ramp, no shimmer, basically it acts like a lightbulb. Also using a driver can even your performance out across the life of the battery. You don't get the slow and gradual dimming as the batteries die.

astromech_kuhns
12-01-2008, 01:01 PM
so when using a driver board it will keep from overpowering my light?

a bit off this thread topic but not off these threads.
how hard would it be and what would it require to add to my saber lights that go on the side that show its battery life?

Lord Dottore Matto
12-01-2008, 02:47 PM
AK, Since you are making PVC sabers, just stick with resistors. Unless you are planning on them being your main sabers! Why you ask? Well a corbin V2 is $50+ shipping, buckpucks are $16+ shipping, PVC is $1.25+ tax so why add an extra $20-50 in costs for a basic saber! Build these, learn and then build a nice MHS with a driver! I built 5 PVC sabers this weekend for christmas gifts. All of them are resistored and all of them are VERY bright!

BTW, The video should help you some as well!:D

astromech_kuhns
12-01-2008, 03:19 PM
well the pvc sabers are jsut hilts for display up on my wall. trying to ge thtem to look nice and real so i can put them on display. unless you think i should wire some of them up.

i have basic electronic skills so i know how to wire up switche sbatteries lights sound speakers stuff like that. when i was little i used to hook up a alarm to some batteries and a switch id tape the switch to my door and in my room i had a personal alarm. i made my own flashlights and lamps all the time.

i was planning on using the micro driver on my main real saber. i may have enough money to get my saber as soon as tim gets back in stock the emmiters. im adding up the prices of my saber now save for the sound and micro driver cause i can buy thos later.

if you think i should wire some pvc hilts up i probably will but that means ill have to wait longer to get my real saber.

Lord Dottore Matto
12-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Well, if you have the funds, why not make them light up? It will be good practice and you may even enjoy them more later! Practice wiring in some accent LED's too (that is a skill that you can use repeatedly in the future!).

(you can wire up a PVC saber for less than $20 total!);)

astromech_kuhns
12-01-2008, 03:53 PM
well i have the funds to either make my saber or make a couple pvc sabers light up. now you say you can make pvc sabers light up for under $20 but the blades are $30 or so. now i may get practice cause my freind the one i made a pvc saber for , wich im giving him for xmas, he might by the parts to wire it up in wich case ill end up wiring it up. also isnt it a bit hard to get the heatsinks in pvc? there seemed to be alot of questions on that.

Lord Dottore Matto
12-01-2008, 04:18 PM
These are all of the parts you need:

Lux I star
resistor
battery holder
optics
switch

Check out Jay-Gon's PVC saber thread for the hows and whys!

astromech_kuhns
12-01-2008, 04:52 PM
well its the blade that will bring the price up.

are lux I sold here i havent seen them i know jaygon bought his off this site but was unsure if i can get um here.

Jedi-Loreen
12-01-2008, 04:56 PM
No, Tim doesn't carry those here.

Or you'd see them.

astromech_kuhns
12-01-2008, 05:24 PM
ok i was unsure if it was hte p4 that are here. so i think ill run a micro driver once i get the money to buy one.

thank you guys for your help!

Jay-gon Jinn
12-01-2008, 06:03 PM
well its the blade that will bring the price up.

are lux I sold here i havent seen them i know jaygon bought his off this site but was unsure if i can get um here.

I didn't get my lux I's through TCSS. I got them from Luxeonstar.com. And ledsupply.com

astromech_kuhns
12-01-2008, 07:20 PM
i remmebered the LEDsupply.com from your pvc thread but didnt kno whte other one. thanks.