PDA

View Full Version : help new at this

suckapunchlightsaber
11-29-2008, 09:19 PM
i have a 2005 anakin saber just the way i bought it from the box looking to customize it with removable blade new on off switch and new sound board thanks for looking
if someone can tell me what parts i will need and how to do it

Jedi-Loreen
11-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Welcome to the Forums.

Please do some reading, especially the MR Conversions forum.

Nobody is going to hold your hand here.

Get informed, then you can ask specific, intelligent questions.

eastern57
11-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Wow, J-lo that was surprisingly cordial! You must be one special sucka... ;)

And Welcome.

suckapunchlightsaber
11-30-2008, 04:52 AM
thanks

DaJoQuim
11-30-2008, 07:17 PM
Welcome to the Forums.

You're one rude woman.Why talk to someone like this?If your life sucks don't take it out on new people!!

=CharlieAstro=
11-30-2008, 07:25 PM
I know huh

Lord Maul
11-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Dajo, basically everything he needs to know can be found on the forums.

Suckapunch: Check out the Thread Index. The link is in my signature. You can find info on all the sound cards and MR conversions there

=CharlieAstro=
11-30-2008, 07:40 PM
she coulda just sent him the forum link and said there you go
there was no need for insults

Angelus Lupus
11-30-2008, 07:52 PM
I see no insults in J-Lo's response. It was to the point and correct.
Saying J-Lo's life 'sucks'... That might have been an insult.

Lord Maul
11-30-2008, 07:54 PM
I see no insults in J-Lo's response. It was to the point and correct.
Saying J-Lo's life 'sucks'... That might have been an insult.

Amen.

eastern57
11-30-2008, 08:00 PM
Where's the popcorn smiley when you need it? ;)

sithlordfaust
11-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Ive yet to see anyone be really RUDE to a noob on this site.Short, yes. testy definately but not really rude concidering the nature of the hobby.it is a DIY site and all. although... I do think it would be cool if there was a thread board whatever for understanding "Masters" to take on "padawans" and explain and show em a few of the ropes, but youd still have to direct noobs to it anyway.
Its a good thing Judgesabersmith isnt really found til youve kinda broken your cherry. I was reading over there and they can get nasty..lol

mmafighter
11-30-2008, 08:04 PM
This is rediculous. Why can't a n00b ask a question without getting killed for it? Remember Jedi-Loreen, you were a n00b once too. And I'm sure that someone DID "Hold your hand".

Welcome Suckapunch.

Lord Maul
11-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Eastern....http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_ontopic.gif

Here you go bud,
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/aluke_2006/Smilies/icon_popcorn.gif

sithlordfaust: We sort of have that going right now. All the experienced members have links in their signatures to the main "newbie help" threads. On that note, I need to add LDM's tutorial...

mmafighter: That's not true. J-Lo was around before most of us dreamed of building a LED saber. She made the first EL blade tutorial. She sourced a ton of different suppliers for all the blade materials. On her own, might I add.

But we're getting a way from the point of the topic now

xl97
11-30-2008, 08:07 PM
wow... hand holding? I mean isnt a forum a place to get informed? hang out and talk with people of like minds? we all started at the same place.. where did the superiority complex start to be mandatory here?

maybe links to the stuff he is to read.. or how about just ignoring the post all together..

it takes the same or less time to be helpful.. then to be non-helpful..

may as well just not post ANYTHING..

on a side note.. I think judgesabersmiths forum is great.. they get 'nasty' cause all know each other more or less.. and they are very helpful if you want serious help..

real (helpful) responses to real questions..

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
11-30-2008, 08:08 PM
I'm going to have to join the side that is defending J-Lo here. I thought that her response was not even a little rude. She welcomed the guy and suggested that he do some reading and get informed.

Sheesh, some people can be so sensitive.:rolleyes:

Lord Dottore Matto
11-30-2008, 08:37 PM
I also feel as though J-Lo was rather cordial. What on earth is going on in this thread??? He's lucky I didn't answer him first. Those of you casting insults do realize that not every new person here gets flamed...I never got flamed when I started posting and as a matter of fact I really enjoyed the constructive interaction early on. What I have noticed is that an increasingly predominate majority of the new folks are simply walking in and expecting to be spoon fed.

A note to the n00bs: When you join, we all know that you are new, but take some time and look for the information that you want. We don't necessarily expect that you will understand it completely, but it will be obvious that you are making an effort. This site is well organized, heck you don't even need the search feature, just look at the friggin index and use your mouse to click away! I will bet one month of salary (mine Vs. yours) that you will find the folks here to be VERY accomodating if you just make the effort!:shock:

***edit***P.s.- JSS.com is for folks who are self motivated and we discuss things at length and help each other out frequently, (we also have a lighthearted good time as well) but don't bring weak uneducated opinions there or you will get disemboweled (seriously!)

987654321a
11-30-2008, 11:35 PM
Guys, I think you took Dajo's statement too seriously. I think he was just kidding around since before, noobs werent treated as nicely.

Jedi-Loreen
11-30-2008, 11:45 PM
No, I don't believe that he was kidding. :|

987654321a
11-30-2008, 11:49 PM
Well if he wasnt, then that was rude of him, since, nothing you said was rude at all.

Lord Maul
11-30-2008, 11:53 PM
No, I don't believe that he was kidding. :|

+1. You don't really call people rude and say their life sucks in jest

Jedi-Loreen
12-01-2008, 12:08 AM
Not if you don't put a winking smiley or the equivalent in there so people know you're joking.

Darth Morbius
12-01-2008, 02:03 AM
This is a point that many have made before and I will do it again. :shock:

There are differences in opinion that we all share, and some that we don't. Personally, I feel that J-lo was concise, cordial, AND helpful.

It is not a bad thing to recommend that people take a look around the forums to seek that which they wish to know. In fact, in a way we DO hold hands here; By just posting the links in our sigs, we help people find the rudimentary knowledge that each custom saber builder should know.

Those of us that were here BEFORE the forum change, know full well how bad it was with some of the flaming. This wasn't flaming.

Dajo, I consider you a friend. We have helped each other many times over, BUT...saying what you did to J-lo was kind of uncool man. :confused:

We all come here to be informed. There are protocols that need to be followed however, and honestly, people SHOULD take a look around before posting a question that has already been answered MANY times over.

So how about we all just relax a little, and get on with our lives? :rolleyes:

Taylor
12-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Ok ok guys and girls lets not get into a flame war yes n00bs may get confused sometimes and not read but come on thats why were here to lend a helping hand and inforce their and everyone elses knowledge. Just keep this cool and try not to insult/harass others here were like one big lightsaber family (except me im more of a blaster fan but still) Point is that if someone needs help we should do it kindly and not insult/ make others feel bad. Lets all just chillax and do what we love to do on Tim's awesome site: build kickass sabers and inform others in their journey as well8-)

DaJoQuim
12-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Morbius she was calling the guy a dummy.All of you see this as being kind?What kind of world do we live in when people can be talked too like that and people back that kind of thing up?I guess i'm getting too old for this world or something!!You don't say welcome to someone and verbel slap his face.No I was not kidding.She is rude!!

Lord Maul
12-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Welcome to the Forums.

Where is the word dummy...? :confused:

Alcfalath
12-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Morbius she was calling the guy a dummy.All of you see this as being kind?What kind of world do we live in when people can be talked too like that and people back that kind of thing up?I guess i'm getting too old for this world or something!!You don't say welcome to someone and verbel slap his face.No I was not kidding.She is rude!!

Then you really shouldnt take a look over at JSS :D You may verily well be offended at at least one thread.. All those who know about Bob1ohya know what i mean...

I wasnt flamed, or treated badly on the forums by any of the experienced people... If i make a noob mistake, ill expect a few comments and jests sure. Until then im pretty safe... Basically its seen time and time again, on EVERY FORUM AND HOBBY... new people dont take the patience, or commonsense, to search and read before jumping head first into a first post asking vaguely for every answer about it..

That being said and done however, Welcome to the forums, hope you find what you need. When you run into something that you get stuck on, raise a hand and say what you are stuck with, then ask a specific question about getting around it.

Oh and J-Lo... I didnt think you were harsh. Your reply was brief, concise and to the point with all the details they needed to hear :)

xl97
12-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Then you really shouldnt take a look over at JSS :D You may verily well be offended at at least one thread.. All those who know about Bob1ohya know what i mean...

I wasnt flamed, or treated badly on the forums by any of the experienced people... If i make a noob mistake, ill expect a few comments and jests sure. Until then im pretty safe... Basically its seen time and time again, on EVERY FORUM AND HOBBY... new people dont take the patience, or commonsense, to search and read before jumping head first into a first post asking vaguely for every answer about it..

That being said and done however, Welcome to the forums, hope you find what you need. When you run into something that you get stuck on, raise a hand and say what you are stuck with, then ask a specific question about getting around it.

Oh and J-Lo... I didnt think you were harsh. Your reply was brief, concise and to the point with all the details they needed to hear :)

Have YOU been there? DaJoQuim is already a member there..:rolleyes:

if yuor not going to be helpful...why post at all? if ia post annoys you..skip it..

it really 'is' that simple..

I doubt anyone needs a postcount++ that bad... either post something useful.. or move along. those who want to be helpful will reply to the thread.

astromech_kuhns
12-01-2008, 09:21 PM
ok im the worst at being a noob! im not MR. money bags so i dont quite get far fast so im still asking questions alot i mean look how long ive been on here and not to long ago i just started pvc sabers and soon im gonna buy my sabe like when the emiiter comes in stock. i dont think J-Lo was harsh it was seriouse and if that was a "huge insult" then i think obi dar was right people are sensitive.

ive posted non specific non inteligent post to many times to count....i understand what she means when she says to read and ask specific inteligent question. saying her life sucks was the insult. and like he said it wasnt a jest when he says it and with this arguing it makes these forums look bad we need to buckle down and get over it. tim doesnt have this site so we can discuss "who's being mean". i ask questions so much i expected someone by now would tell me to shut up read and that they refuse to help me.:oops::rolleyes:;) i think the noob will be ok.

welcome!

Lord Maul
12-01-2008, 10:08 PM

if yuor not going to be helpful...why post at all? if ia post annoys you..skip it..

I doubt anyone needs a postcount++ that bad... either post something useful.. or move along. those who want to be helpful will reply to the thread.

Minor technicality, but Dajo's account no longer exists on that board. Jon regularly "cleans house" so there aren't a bunch of 0 post members.

virus692
12-02-2008, 12:01 AM
Hey some of us Spoon feed the Noobs ....

maybe we should have a sign

Please Do Not Feed the Noobs!

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
12-02-2008, 12:06 AM
Let's all just stop posting in this thread, let it die and move on.

BTW, welcome to TCSS, Sucka. Enjoy your stay.

Alcfalath
12-02-2008, 08:44 AM

Yes I am a member there, with a '0 Post count' and no I didnt know I dont actively search out members on a forum. I generally learn what I can 'before' speaking up and asking questions. I was lurking the TCSS boards solidly for about 6 months before I signed up, so please dont try the 'post count' ploy.

And I did post something useful. That would be re-iteration of the point that was brought across by Loreen. Personally i think that it is very helpful, and simple to see so.

Why did you post? *rhetorical*

Anyways, agreed with Obi Dar...

xl97
12-02-2008, 09:07 AM
only the first line was DIRECTLY aimed to you..

the rest was a general comment/response to the thread

Alcfalath
12-02-2008, 09:37 AM
No worries, couldnt tell it was just the first point. It just seemed focused my way from the post layout.

Jonitus
12-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Tempers do flare when we (members who had to read, and scour for information and learn on our own through experimentation) get asked questions that are specifically addressed in the FAQ and the thread index.

I can understand how someone new to this hobby can feel intimidated by the amount of info to learn, and they'd rather jump in with both feet and just ask a question. That, however, does not work. There is a LOT to learn about this hobby, and I dare say that nobody here has all the answers. We each know our little piece and we combine that information and threads get indexed as a favor to newbies. Having all that information at your disposal is a bigger favor to you new folks than you realize. I never had that when I was new to this hobby, nor did many of the other "old dogs" around here. We came up the hard way.

I won't take sides on what was said. It's pointless. Fact is, the original poster was directed to read the FAQ and the index to see if those sources held the answers.

One additional thing I will address - yes, I purge members at my forums regularly. For every 10 members that sign up for an account, only one or 2 actually post. I've never understood why someone would create an account and not contribute, but there it is. If a member creates an account and does not use it within 30 days, they are deleted. Some members that have only posted once or twice and then nothing for 30 days get deleted. They're my forums, and my rules. I will say this - TCSS is FAR MORE FORGIVING of n00bs than we are over at JSSC.

Pullo
12-02-2008, 01:17 PM
I don't think anyone has been rude but I would say we can be a bit harsh on the new people.
I asked a mate at work what he thought a Noob was and he thought it was a name for the male genitalia. If it says ALL NOOBS read this and they don't know what a NOOB is can you blame them if they don't read it. I agree that more and more people are asking questions that longterm members have heard and answered countless times before, is this because people are getting lazy or that the site is becoming more and more popular and these are the natural questions that first leap to mind.

Lord Dottore Matto
12-02-2008, 06:16 PM
"is this because people are getting lazy or that the site is becoming more and more popular and these are the natural questions that first leap to mind. "

It is definitely some of both.;)

Pullo
12-03-2008, 01:55 PM
My faith in people is truly shaken. I thought some were a little hard on the nOObs then i found A thread on the site which amazed me. I'm not going to name names because I don't want to start a war of words but the guy was just plain rude even when given help by some of the most experianced saber builders on this site. Asking is one thing, throwing something back in someones face because it is not what you want to hear is another. I guess it is also a case of not just what you ask but how you ask it.

xl97
12-03-2008, 03:23 PM
crank out a few sabers, and your elite/above the rest :rolleyes:

dont dare ask questions now.. (bleh)..

its funny to me.. the 'vets' only need skip or pass the post right up.. but 'somehow' they take a personal responsibility to not only not be helpful in their post.. but to take a jab at the 'noobies' because they should have read (or whatever they feel like crying about)..

this place (I thought) was a place to get information and HELP on the products sold at TIMS store...

not necessarily 'this' post..but I have seen many that (IMO of course) could discourage sales from the store because of the negative attitude toward new members here.

seems to be the general attitude here..

since SaberSmiths is going 'elite' and hard on noobs.. cant we leave this place for the DIY'ers to get help and feel comfortable?

Lord Dottore Matto
12-03-2008, 06:01 PM
xL97, I think this behavior is somewhat ingrained in many folks. Just think, what happens to most freshmen, rookies, pledges, n00bs...they all get hazed by the seniors, veterans, brothers, smiths. At a base level, there is nothing wrong with it. It is a type of rite of passage. However, visciousness is not acceptable, nor is outright personal insult (at least not here). But, did you ever notice...Some freshmen, rookies, pledges, n00bs never get raked on? How do these guys fit in when others don't? I guess that is a question for the ages!

To those of you who I have personally kicked in the nuts, look at what I actually said, learn from it and move on! I have helped many folks with their issues and really never mind doing it, but if someone blasts you once show some sack and learn from it! It happens every day in real life and I hate to tell you, but wherever people congregate, a societal microcosm will break out...