PDA

View Full Version : US 2.0, Li-Ions, Chargeport oh my!!!!

TD-2272
11-28-2008, 08:06 PM
Hey gang does this look right, I bought some 18650 to make a 7.2 pack and the pcb I got was a 7.2 to make it work Let me know what you guys thoughts are

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p120/TD-2272/Thehookup-1.jpg

OR
This

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p120/TD-2272/Thehookup2-1.jpg

TD-2272
11-28-2008, 09:46 PM
No one knows hmmmmmm lol. Too soon for this?

TD-2272
11-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Novastar help!!!!!!!! hehe

Clockwork
11-28-2008, 11:09 PM
You definately need the Battery common like in the Top picture. That is how the board balances the Li-ion cells, when you first turn it on, you may get worried because it won't work. Don't worry, you just need to reset the board by charging the batteries for a couple of seconds. Hope that helps

Edit: I just noticed the other difference, The top picture is correct for all the li-ion PCB connections. Including battery common and the outputs. As for the recharge port, I tend to cut positive rather than ground as you have done. But that is a personal preference.

TD-2272
11-28-2008, 11:42 PM
You definately need the Battery common like in the Top picture. That is how the board balances the Li-ion cells, when you first turn it on, you may get worried because it won't work. Don't worry, you just need to reset the board by charging the batteries for a couple of seconds. Hope that helps

Edit: I just noticed the other difference, The top picture is correct for all the li-ion PCB connections. Including battery common and the outputs. As for the recharge port, I tend to cut positive rather than ground as you have done. But that is a personal preference.

So ClockWork the 1st illustration will work? Thanks

Novastar
11-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Don't rush, TD-272... Clockwork makes a good point that you'll want to be certain of what line to cut if you want your saber to be compatible with chargers from the store... although--as long as you remain consistent, you can do what you like when "swapping" + and -.

The 1st diagram appears to be correct, although I've NEVER been good at looking at wiring diagrams. :-? My fault on that.

Look at my video again, it might help you--the pack was being wired for 7.2v as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNcc2oZWmO8

I think you have to go near the end of the video (7:25 I think) to see it. I'm fairly certain you have it right for getting 7.2v.

Another way to be certain is to meter the pack after you've wired it up to the PCB... and meter the lines that would normally go to the board. You should see ~7.2v. :)

TD-2272
11-29-2008, 04:54 PM
Thanks Nova for your input I got the batteries and charger from All-battery.com I go the correct charger I'll find out when they arrive and build it lol I guess the safe thing to do is wire it like the first diagram and test it with a multi meter , with a kill switch in place and with the charge plug in place and out to see if its charging and being drawn upon then hook it to the board

xwingband
11-29-2008, 06:46 PM
It's more common to cut the negative by far.

Why are you making a 18650 stick pack though? It's not a horribly uncommon configuration. If you've never made a pack before it's a stretch.

It's pointless to help the diagram... The top one is correct for the PCB, but the port could be correct. It depends on the port.

TD-2272
11-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Hey X I 've built many packs in my life being I used to race R/C semi-pro, but I had never done Li-Ion befor. The port in the diagram is just a mock up, just for show. I'm using the one from the shop, I know what terminal go where on the port, Thanks all for the input

I'm using the 18650 for run time mainly