PDA

View Full Version : MR board too hot?

Matt Thorn
11-28-2008, 05:42 AM
I've been fiddling with the board from a 2003 MR FX Darth Vader (which I talk about here (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=6582)), and have just noticed that the board gets quite hot after just a minute or so of being turned on. Is this normal? I'm using 4AAA Ni-MH batteries (1000mAh, for what it's worth), the speaker that came with the blade, and since I'm still waiting for my Luxeon III to arrive, for testing purposes I've hooked it up to the LEDs salvaged from an old Force Action saber (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=6592). As I wrote on the first thread I linked above, the motion and clash are not working, and the problem seems to be on the board, not in the sensor units. I didn't notice the heat problem till I hooked up the Force Action LEDs. (There are three of them on a round circuit board.) I wonder if it has to do with the LEDs, or if the problem was there earlier and I just hadn't noticed. Obviously, I don't want to fry a semi-functioning MR board (the light, fire-up/fire-down sounds, and idle sound work fine), so I'm concerned.:confused: Thanks in advance for any help. (And, yes, I did search the boards for an answer, but a search for "hot MR board" turned out to be pretty useless.:()

Matt Thorn
11-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Bump. I'm still concerned about this. :confused:

Lord Maul
11-30-2008, 05:03 PM
That's odd... Are you sure you don't have a short anywhere in the wiring? Any solder bridging would be very bad and could probably be the cause of your hot board.

Matt Thorn
11-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Well, since the motion/clash is not working, I suppose that's a distinct possibility. I'll take a magnifying glass to the board and see what I can see. Either way, I now know something's not right. Thanks!

Novastar
11-30-2008, 06:40 PM
The board should not get significantly hot unless you're pumping an inordinate amount of current through (read: > 1A)... too much voltage (read: >6v)... or you have some kind of short.