PDA

View Full Version : Obi-BEAR Kenobi!

DizzyKungFu
11-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Every year before the holiday season, the Salvation Army in my area runs a program called "Get Teddy Ready" where volunteers creatively dress up stuffed teddy bears (à la the Build-A-Bear store) to be distributed to needy children in the greater Boston area in time for Christmas. :)

I decided to submit a Star Wars themed bear. The bear's outfit is made from leftover scraps from my jedi costume (so I could call him "mini me", LOL!). Check him out!:
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff25/DizzyKungFu/Get%20Teddy%20Ready/hooddown4.jpg
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff25/DizzyKungFu/Get%20Teddy%20Ready/hoodup4.jpg
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff25/DizzyKungFu/Get%20Teddy%20Ready/norobe1.jpg

And I'm sure you are all wondering if his adorable little lightsaber actually lights up. Well, of course it does! I wouldn't be much of a TCSS patron if I skimped on that detail!:
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff25/DizzyKungFu/Get%20Teddy%20Ready/lightsaber7.jpg
No sound tho... no way I could fit all the electronics required for sound in a hilt that sized. :(

He's so cute I almost don't want to give him up! However I know he'll find a good home with a young Star Wars fan out there. :D

Angelus Lupus
11-19-2008, 04:48 PM
That is absolutely adorable! The costume is perfect and the saber looks brilliant for it's size. Care to share the details of it?

Hasid Lafre
11-19-2008, 04:48 PM
That is cute!

I would love to have one, Iam a stickler when it comes to "strange" teddys.

Leave me alone or I will summon the care bears to come out of the poster and slay you all!

DizzyKungFu
11-19-2008, 04:55 PM
That is absolutely adorable! The costume is perfect and the saber looks brilliant for it's size. Care to share the details of it?

Thanks!

The saber is a PVC hilt painted with primer and chrome "car bumper" paint. The LED is one of those blue 5mm types I found at Radio Shack. The assembly is much like you'd make a sink tube or PVC saber, except in miniature. It's powered by three 357 calculator/watch batteries (total 4.5 V, not sure the mAh or the run time here). The blade is actually the top portion from one of those cheezy $9.99 extendable lightsaber toys. I considered the idea of making the blade removable, but since I didn't know exactly how young a child would wind up with this, I figured it was safer to glue it solidly into the blade holder.

It was a lot of fun to make and I hope it makes some little kid happy! Maybe even create a new devout Star Wars fan! :D

annon
11-19-2008, 05:08 PM
He's so cute with his little hood up! :shock:
That's my favorite teddy bear of all time, and it's for a good cause.
One million points to you, my friend. :D

sekrogue1985
11-19-2008, 05:20 PM
kawaii!

LadyIrithyl
11-19-2008, 06:15 PM
He's really adorable. And I know any child who gets the bear will be incredibly happy. You've done a truly wonderful thing for a child who really needs it.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
11-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Awesome! Some kid will go nuts over that!

Lord Preston
11-19-2008, 07:39 PM
That is so cute!:D I'm sure one child will love that.

BlackDOG
11-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Hey you get major cool points for that effort. I bet it took a while to make and that is awsome to spend that kind of time on a project like that.

Way to go!

Roshen
11-20-2008, 07:10 AM
You could put the sound in his belly, and run wires to it :) and add a zipper to his back or something like that?

ArkaiHalon
11-20-2008, 07:19 AM
that's freakin cute.

M. Lynch
12-22-2008, 04:40 PM
That bear is falcon amazing.

cannibal869
12-22-2008, 05:14 PM
Dude, that is a totally PIMPIN' bear - quite possibly the coolest one I have *ever* seen!! STRONG WORK!!!

gundamaniac
12-22-2008, 06:12 PM
As everyone else has already stated, that is an AWESOME teddy bear. Great detail work on the costume! And the light up saber is a very very nice extra touch.

...next up...making more of those bears and making them available for sale?...>_>

Master Dru-Er
12-22-2008, 07:22 PM
You should think about putting sound in the bear's body. Just run the clash /motion sensor into the bears arm.

Blue Fox
12-22-2008, 07:49 PM
awww... I want one for my son now. lol that's so cute!! well done and I hope the lucky child who gets this gives him a lot of love. ^_^

strengthofrage
12-23-2008, 08:10 AM
That is fantastic!!! I must say I want one... for my... nephew. Yes, my nephew.

Very nice of you to put such obvious hard work and creativity into a gift for an under privileged child for the holidays, well done :)