PDA

View Full Version : RGB Red & Blue for Purple in ESB Vader?

Ariannus
11-17-2008, 10:11 PM
Sorry for the multiple new threads, but I'm also making a purple saber and was wondering what the best route to go was.

I've found several threads where people have used a RGB Led for a purple saber, but the posts don't have a whole lot of details. Can I do this in a ESB Vader? What is a good led to use, and what optics do I need?

Thanks for the help.

Lord Dottore Matto
11-17-2008, 10:21 PM
Just hang on a little longer and one of the (he will remain unnamed unless he chooses to name himself) "saber-titans" will be forthcoming with some new info! But lets just call it an RRB!

Novastar
11-18-2008, 12:24 AM
Sorry for the multiple new threads, but I'm also making a purple saber and was wondering what the best route to go was.There is no "best" route, there is only what works, what doesn't work, and of the things that DO work... which is best for your needs, battery setup, wiring, etc. etc.

I've found several threads where people have used a RGB Led for a purple saber, but the posts don't have a whole lot of details. Can I do this in a ESB Vader? What is a good led to use, and what optics do I need?

Thanks for the help.You'll want to research RGB LEDs and learn about them more before attempting this. But, YES you can certainly do this with a Vader saber, given the right LED, the right resistance and all that jazz.

Personally, given what situation/experience it SOUNDS like you're in... I would not go with an RGB and complicate things. I would look for a "Seoul P4" WHITE LED... utilize optics that go with it... and use a FILTER (look up leefilters.com) to gain the purple you wish.

You can get a "swatch sampler" of filters from Lee if you merely request it.

After you do this kind of purple setup... maybe then you'd have the experience to start messing with multiple leads, differing current mixtures, the "right optics" and all of that jazz for an RGB.

Granted... that's just MY opinion.

swear000
11-18-2008, 01:06 AM
Erv and Novastar recently did a great song about RGB. It should be near the top of the music charts soon!

Novastar
11-18-2008, 03:22 AM
LOL.

More like top of our "geek" charts, hahahah.

Hmm.

I guess I'm just lucky that "RGB" rhymes with "LED", hanh? :rolleyes:

Ariannus
11-18-2008, 08:51 AM
Well I have a decent amount of electonics experience, just not working with these sabers (or high power LEDs). This is the third year that I've tried to get started on these.

I'm hoping to finish these MR conversions that I'm doing for a few friends so I can put together my CF 3.0 in my custom hilt before the end of the year.

Actually I've had 3 MR sabers disassembled on my work bench for a little over 2 years. I just have never got around to ordering parts for the conversion.

P.S. That reminds me I need to order your CF sound CD. I think I'll go do that while I'm thinking about it.

Novastar
11-20-2008, 12:09 AM
Ahhhhh!

Ok, well... in that case--it's true you could go with an RGB to get purple, but... if that's the only color you want in "saber X" for example... I'd go with a P4 white (or P7, how's THAT!, lol) + a filter.

In my thinking... if someone's going to do an RGB... you may as well unleash as many color combos as ya can. Such as like how Grayven nails it down--good stuff.

But FINALLY... Ariannus... you might want to view X-Wing's Y-tube account to see what he's up to with the Rebel LEDs and how he'll be attempting to "solder bake" them on his own to achieve... well... WHATEVER combination you want! That is... RRW (red, red, white), or... RRB or GGW or... whatever the bloody heck you want.

It's definitely a good idea if you want to "pimp" out your saber, heheh!

Ariannus
11-20-2008, 09:01 AM
Thanks Novastar. I appreciate the advice. On a related note, last week I ordered one of these Cree MC-E LEDs to play around with.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16145

The pictures there are incorrect though. That is the Serial version of the star, you actually get this:
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/5219/img22122ro4.jpg

It's pretty similar to the P7 but I think it will fit the standard Luxeon Optics, and once the soldering job is cleaned up a little you can address each of the LEDs individually. If you buy the bare emitter the sell both stars to mount it on.

Also, I've had the "Prince LED" song stuck in my head for the last 3 days.... It just won't stop.