PDA

View Full Version : A UV LED Saber? Blacklight tech

Quezz
11-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here ever tried to make a blacklight saber. It's been a fantasy of mine, but I am no engineer. If I were to try something like that, what pitfalls could I run into? Thanx muchly in advance!

Lord Dottore Matto
11-15-2008, 11:06 PM
I have done it, no pictures posted. The major pitfall would be finding the Lux-style black(405-410nm) LED. The source I had no longer exists. I have one in an MHS hilt right now, but that particular hilt is not nearly done yet. Stay tuned...

Jedi-Loreen
11-15-2008, 11:14 PM
UV can damage the eye, if you look directly a it. One of the pitfalls.

A friend had one, I think it was made from 5 High Brightness regular LEDs in a tight group, but it's being returned to the saber smith to have a custom tri rebel installed.

It was kind of fun to play with, to see what would fluoresce under it.

Angelus Lupus
11-16-2008, 07:44 AM
UV can damage the eye, if you look directly a it. One of the pitfalls.
Also the (mostly) non-visible spectrum of light makes it fairly pointless (IMHO) as a lightsaber

It was kind of fun to play with, to see what would fluoresce under it.
Ah, now for that game I use the UV light on my Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver! Yes, I'm a nerd. :-P

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
11-16-2008, 12:23 PM
The royal blue lux III I have must emit a lot of its light into the UV spectrum. When I bring it near anything neon colored, it lights right up, just like under a black light.

Lord Dottore Matto
11-16-2008, 04:07 PM
The royal blue lux III I have must emit a lot of its light into the UV spectrum. When I bring it near anything neon colored, it lights right up, just like under a black light.

If it is a low BIN, then it is just above UV on the spectrum of visible light.

Quezz
11-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Is there a purple version of the royal blue lux III? That would totally work for me.

Lord Dottore Matto
11-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Is there a purple version of the royal blue lux III? That would totally work for me.

If you could find a low BIN (like BIN 1 or 2) it would be very purple-ish blue.

Novastar
11-17-2008, 12:32 AM
I have a Royal Blue that came out quite like that (never checked the bin). It was for Alexandra Novastar's saber in BOP II.

However, any way you slice it... it's still ROYAL BLUE, heheh. Sure it's pretty darn deep... but place it next to anything that is purple (even a NON-neon-ish purple)... and the decision to call it blue would be apparent.

This still doesn't prevent it from being one of the cooler colors of sabers in my collection, but... yeah, if you want purple, the true remains:

* RGB configured to utilize only Blue and a little red...
* Bright white + a purple filter...

Either way, it's not the most intense of colors... but that's just how it goes. :)

darthdan
11-17-2008, 11:43 AM
I have run across a few flourescent 3/4" tubes online though. If ou could find one that was semiopaque enough it may light up really nice. And it would be that cool flourescent color too...