PDA

View Full Version : Any chance we can get a Shiny Yellow Gold here?

Alcfalath
11-13-2008, 09:10 PM
Hey Tim,

If enough people were interested, do you think you would be able to get a shiny yellow gold powder coat here? I was perusing some of the powdercoating sites online and I saw some really nice colours, so if you are able to get one from your supplier that would be awesome...

Of course it would all depend on how many people were interested in that colour... So if anyone would be, speak up and hopefully there will be enough of us to warrant a new colour to the section :D

Strydur
11-14-2008, 09:51 AM
E-mail me a link to the color you are referring to.

Alcfalath
11-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Will do, just need to find the exact place again.. im off to be now but as soon as I get up ill find it and send it your way :)

Alcfalath
11-14-2008, 09:27 PM
I cant find the site... my pc wiped all my history... :S damn it.. it was the type of gold that went on Mechanical Parts, like for Motorcycles.. it was a really awesome colour :S

acerocket
11-14-2008, 10:10 PM
If you can't find it here, then it probably doesn't exist. Tiger Dylac is one of the leaders of the PC world.

http://www.tiger-coatings.us/index.php?id=1295&tx_pressdownload_pi2

Er Dan Gill
11-14-2008, 10:54 PM
I'm kind of liking this transparent gold (http://roseyspowdercoating.biz/osCommerce/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=270), or this brilliant brass (http://roseyspowdercoating.biz/osCommerce/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=245).

Lord Dottore Matto
11-15-2008, 02:13 AM
I'll let you know how brilliant brass looks.

Alcfalath
11-16-2008, 09:57 AM
Cheers guys this was exactly where i was looking :P I recognised it instantly :D It was the Transparent Gold i looked at originally, but that Brilliant Brass just took the cake..

LDM, ill be very very much appreciative if you can get back to me on that, that is assuming you are using it yourself in the future (judging by your post :) ). Ill be eagerly awaiting the results :)

Lord Dottore Matto
11-16-2008, 11:01 AM
Cheers guys this was exactly where i was looking :P I recognised it instantly :D It was the Transparent Gold i looked at originally, but that Brilliant Brass just took the cake..

LDM, ill be very very much appreciative if you can get back to me on that, that is assuming you are using it yourself in the future (judging by your post :) ). Ill be eagerly awaiting the results :)

Yeah, I ordered some and will try it out this week.

One Skunk Todd
11-17-2008, 08:11 AM
Well as long as we're posting colors we like I'll toss in Prismatic Black (http://c-mtec.com/images/colors/Special/COL_EX_SPEC_Prismatic_Black.jpg) and Shimmering Blue (http://c-mtec.com/images/colors/Special/COL_EX_SPEC_Shimmering_Candy_Blue.jpg). :)

FenderBender
11-18-2008, 07:41 AM
They even have glow in the dark 8)

Taylor
11-18-2008, 07:03 PM
I love gold espically shiney! its my next favorite color to metallic red red first then gold then brown so I'd be interrested for a golden-yellow shiney saber. also why not metallic red or metallic black? what a 15 year old can't love sparkles?

Alcfalath
11-21-2008, 12:01 AM
Yeah, I ordered some and will try it out this week.

Any luck with this one at all? :) good news right now would be rather nice :) not having the best of days at all.. :S

FenderBender
01-22-2009, 09:35 PM
Im ressurecting this thread cuase I just got my PC kit up and running and tried the Translucent Gold. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It freakin' rawks! On a highly polished MHS piece it actually looks like Gold/Brass plating. Pics will be up tomorrow night with the finished saber.

Swordlord
01-24-2009, 02:22 PM
I'd like to see Black Wrinkle as an option. Caswell has it HERE (http://www.caswellplating.com/powder/powder_colors.html)
There's a pic of what it looks like in application HERE (http://forum.caswellplating.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/272).

Lord Preston
01-25-2009, 06:07 PM
I'd like to see Black Wrinkle as an option. Caswell has it HERE (http://www.caswellplating.com/powder/powder_colors.html)
There's a pic of what it looks like in application HERE (http://forum.caswellplating.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/272).

PM Tim with the colors.

FenderBender
01-25-2009, 10:15 PM
Shiny gold is UP baby! Check the Gallery under Altus Ferrum.

gundamaniac
01-26-2009, 12:40 AM
Shiny gold is BREATHTAKING. It's absolutely beautiful.

TimeRender
01-26-2009, 01:22 AM
Agreed, the saber shop definitely needs to stock this color option. Fender, where did you get the kit and what other metallic colors did they offer?

Edit: Nevermind, I see the link in the forums now.

Sethski
01-26-2009, 10:48 AM
I'd love to have the option of the brilliant brass and the transparent gold.

I guess the potential stumbling block is what Fender Bender points out in the Altus Ferrum thread - that it's not going to look as good if the piece isn't polished beforehand - but if Tim was able to offer polishing at an additional charge? - I don't know if it's practical for him to do this, but I guess it's a service that might be popular aside from the PC-related application as well.

FenderBender
01-26-2009, 12:41 PM
The MHS parts come from Tim like the perfect canvas for painting. Theyre at a state of finish that is useable as is, or they can be degraded easily for weathering, or with a sanding of 1000 grit then hit with a buffing wheel they can blind you with shine;) If Tim is willing to offer the polishing for an extra fee, I dont see any shortage of orders for Trans Gold PC.

NyxErinyes
04-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Did anything ever come of this? I'd be very interested in getting Trans Gold on my custom.

Onli-Won Kanomi
04-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Me too and I'd certainly be willing to pay an extra fee for the extra polishing needed to get a 'shiny' gold if it were offered.

Strydur
04-10-2009, 01:41 PM
I will take a look at what is needed to easily polish the parts so that the clear colors are easier to make come out nice. No ETA though on when that will be though.

wookieecrisp
05-20-2009, 05:45 PM
I probably am post-resurrecting, but please can you add trans gold? I would be so pleased am my upcoming MHS saber would look so much better than the boring sun gold.

Eco
07-14-2009, 08:00 PM
Breathing a bit more life into this to see if there's an update on how soon we can possibly get our mitts on some Translucent Gold PC.

Crystal Chambers
10-23-2009, 05:09 AM
Any word on the brilliant brass?

I'm ordering today and I'm considering powder coat if I can get a good enough brass match or close color that compliments it.
I would PM Tim as read but ...I'm not aloud to PM yet.

sithlordfaust
10-24-2009, 01:49 PM

I'm ordering today and I'm considering powder coat if I can get a good enough brass match or close color that compliments it.

you can email him through the store contact. but I dont think hes doing the trans metal colors yet

Eco
10-24-2009, 02:54 PM

As SLF stated, an email would be much better.
Tim logs on to the forums relatively rarely, and usually only just makes a couple posts in the shoutbox.
A PM to him may actually not get answered at all, but an email will be answered very promptly, and I can attest to that.

I certainly hope he does start offering Brilliant Brass, or Translucent Gold. That would make my saber complete!

Matt Thorn
10-30-2009, 01:46 AM
Considering that powder coating works only on metal surfaces, it is ironic but sadly true that "metallic" colors just don't look truly metallic. "Patented Ultimate Chrome," for example, is pretty good as metallic powders go, but it doesn't hold a candle to real chrome. The transparents can be better, but they are only as good as the metal surface they cover. They will show any imperfections, and the less shiny the metal surface is, the less shiny the final coated item will be. Powder coating is great, and I've used it on all but my very first saber, but when it comes to metal, there's no substitute for the real thing. :(

Darth Biff
01-30-2010, 03:24 AM
I really like these 2 for a more worn metallic look. They're called "Copper Vein" and "Gold Vein" respectively.

Matt Thorn
06-17-2010, 09:45 PM
This is nothing compared to Fender and Allaerra's "Altus Ferrum (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=7180)", but here's another glimpse at how Transparent Gold looks. I used it on the Style 3 Trim rings. I polished them, but I didn't give them the kind of uber-buffing the team of F&A always give their aluminum. Since the pieces are small, though, it doesn't make much difference. Both in photos and to the naked eye, it looks for all the world like the natural color of the metal.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_THBqz9vPciU/TBlTbfZZ8nI/AAAAAAAAFEM/00C15vWi7Co/s800/IMG_1970.JPG (http://picasaweb.google.co.jp/lh/photo/zbbid9TRDIeOOIB4CH-G-A?feat=embedwebsite)

The next best thing to polished brass, in my opinion.

In fact, I hope Tim comes out with brass versions of the Trim rings, just as he came out with a brass version of the anti-vandal bezel. (Considering the extra work of buffing and powder-coating, making a brass version seems easier and cheaper.)

Onli-Won Kanomi
06-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Matt I agree with you brass trim rings would be nice...but that still looks fairly good too imo...btw what is that speckled bluish finish on the larger parts?

Matt Thorn
06-17-2010, 11:09 PM
Matt I agree with you brass trim rings would be nice...but that still looks fairly good too imo...btw what is that speckled bluish finish on the larger parts?
That is "Silver Vein," another color that would make a nice addition to TCSS.

Onli-Won Kanomi
06-18-2010, 06:41 AM
Yes indeed that is a VERY nice effect imo...the bluish black reminds me a bit of nice gun bluing and the 'vein' highlights gives it a very refined elegant 'high class' look...it could be great on a 'presentation' grade gift saber imo.

Matt Thorn
06-18-2010, 07:38 AM
Yes indeed that is a VERY nice effect imo...the bluish black reminds me a bit of nice gun bluing and the 'vein' highlights gives it a very refined elegant 'high class' look...it could be great on a 'presentation' grade gift saber imo.
Hmm. I never thought of it as looking "bluish." I think it's the photo. :neutral:

Onli-Won Kanomi
06-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Hmm. I never thought of it as looking "bluish." I think it's the photo. :neutral:

Oh...yeah cameras can mess up colour sometimes as we all know from blades lol...so then what colour is it more like really? Black with silver speckles maybe?

Matt Thorn
06-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Oh...yeah cameras can mess up colour sometimes as we all know from blades lol...so then what colour is it more like really? Black with silver speckles maybe?
It's textured, fairly glossy, and the raised portions are gray while the depressed portions are black. Hope that makes sense.

Onli-Won Kanomi
06-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Oh cool...by that description I think I've actually seen that finish on metal furniture...it is nice and would look good on sabers...good find Matt

Ronan
08-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Transparent gold looks AMAZING!

+1 for Tim to carry it!

jin starkiller
08-04-2010, 07:50 PM
silver vein i would like to see that option

ecko
08-05-2010, 05:06 AM
Transparent gold looks AMAZING!

+1 for Tim to carry it!

I agree, +2!

Crystal Chambers
08-05-2010, 06:02 AM
I totally agree...Since it's a metallic colour it's a standard one that many many people will want. Myself included.

Shadar Al'Niende
08-06-2010, 01:01 PM
As discussed before, Tim would also have to offer a polishing service for said trans-metal PC's if he were to do this, i would pay for the service in addition to the PC...

Ronan
08-08-2010, 07:55 PM
As discussed before, Tim would also have to offer a polishing service for said trans-metal PC's if he were to do this, i would pay for the service in addition to the PC...

So? Many people (including myself) would gladly pay extra to get parts highly polished + powder coated Transparent Gold.

I don't know about others... but its getting boring really fast with color paint/powder coating... People want more realistic finishes like transparent gold offers (oh and maybe certain parts machined from copper!).

Two Services Badly needed:
Polishing
PC Transparent Gold

:)

FenderBender
08-08-2010, 09:52 PM
So? Many people (including myself) would gladly pay extra to get parts highly polished + powder coated Transparent Gold.

I don't know about others... but its getting boring really fast with color paint/powder coating... People want more realistic finishes like transparent gold offers (oh and maybe certain parts machined from copper!).

Two Services Badly needed:
Polishing
PC Transparent Gold

:)

Boring? Hardly. I can create dozens of sabers that are all unique using nothing but flat black and bare polished aluminum. The only limits here are your imagination and skill.

However, Im sure many would benefit from the Trans Gold and it would be good if Tim offered it.

The flip side is that it's a lot of work to get a nice gold to come out right, and the cost may be more than you're really willing to pay;)

Skottsaber
08-09-2010, 02:45 AM
However, Im sure many would benefit from the Trans Gold and it would be good if Tim offered it.

But what would you do Fender? What happens after Tim starts selling RGB LEDs too? :lol:

Ronan
08-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Boring? Hardly. I can create dozens of sabers that are all unique using nothing but flat black and bare polished aluminum. The only limits here are your imagination and skill.

The flip side is that it's a lot of work to get a nice gold to come out right, and the cost may be more than you're really willing to pay;)

Doubt it, unless i feel he tries to shaft me. He's prices are decent (not great but decent), so i doubt it would be the 'odd' weird price. Hell, the guy called my home after i noticed something was missing from one of my orders. He called the same day i left an e-mail, and rectified the situation ASAP by sending the part express (it arrived 2 days later). Thats GREAT service (and its that kind of things that make come back and back and back).

Anyways, it's cheaper (and less hassle) than sending parts to a place to get them PC while having no idea wtf they are powder coating, and the off chance they **** up (which has happen to me on gun parts, both PC and anodizing).

I live in Montreal, they don't know about machinist shops (to get metal cut, drill etc), PC shops, Anodizing shop... hell i have to get EVERYTHING done outside of the country most of the time (hello custom fee's...).

The more i can get done in one place, the better! Even if it cost a little bit more :)

Jedi-Loreen
08-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Ronan, did you try to swear in your post?

Crystal Chambers
08-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Woah man. Halifax is way smaller then Montreal and I can get a lot of things done here but it seems when you find tings online they're usually not in Canada.

Are you sure it's not a french/english issue? If something isn't stocked here I can usually find a business that will order it. I haven't tried looking for anyone local to PC because the TCSS prices look good to me compared to any local services and I know that it's coming from one place so less shipping or running around.

Matt Thorn
08-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Ronan, you might be happy to pay for the work, but it is a labor-intensive process, and time Tim would spend on that would be time he couldn't spend on other things, like keeping things in stock and creating new products (like the eagerly awaited TCSS soundboard/LED driver). Obviously, it's Tim's call, but for me it's not a high priority. (Then again, I have my own PC equipment. :p) Machined brass and copper would be cool, but copper without some kind of protective coating or constant polishing gets real ugly real fast, as I discovered in my first saber build.

Oh, and Ronan, this is an all-ages site, so no expletives allowed (including acronyms).

Crystal, you're in Halifax? As in Nova Scotia? How cool is that. You are now Anne of Green Gables in my mind. Yeah, I know Anne lived on P.E.I., but it's just 200 km north, and it's all the same to us Americans who have never been there. :razz: (Wandering Son, the manga I'm currently translating--about two transgendered six-graders--is rife with references to Anne, so I have Anne on the brain right now.)

Onli-Won Kanomi
08-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Another thing to consider is that while many of us might be willing to pay the extra cost for the extra polishing involved in doing a trans gold PC it also means more TIME involved for Strydur to do that extra polishing than normal PC...time he might have to take away from doing other kinds of custom work.

And also lets not forget he also has a whole TCSS store business to run AND must need time to have a personal 'real life' beyond our mere saber building concerns too eh? ;-)

All [polishing] work and no [life] fun might make Tim a dull boy even if it made our sabers extra shiny [golden] and I don't think we'd REALLY want that for such a nice guy would we?

But if he ever does find it worthwhile to offer trans gold PC [or we can get Kaminoans to make a few polishing clones of him] I'm sure I'll be in line for trans gold too LOL

edit: Matt beat me to it...my typing is too slow lol

Ronan
08-09-2010, 07:44 PM
There's a demand for it, it's up to him to see if he wants to supply it.

Personally, i know i already have a couple pieces in mind that are begging for it (c'mon Tim!!!) :D

And to Crystal Chamber saying Halifax is smaller than Montreal and carries my aforementioned services/items, Montreal sadly doesn't. Last time i wanted to get my AR's lower anodized, i had to drive 2 hours to find a decent (but very expensive) shop that was doing it to milspec grade. Hell I can't even find a good garage to take care of my two cars... If you could PM me their contact information, i have some PC business for them! (I fail at PMing someone on this forum...).

Edit: Oops i cursed (i did not even realized), sorry kids. Uncle Ronan picked up some bad language in his 10 years in NY :D

Crystal Chambers
08-10-2010, 04:47 AM
Yeah, you need to be a member here for two weeks before PMs work. As this site is attached to a store it's not a good idea to promote other products or services even through PMs. Tim has been known to do some custom work by request like custom colour PC for MHS parts he ships out but no send in service as far as I'm aware.

While I seem to be able to find most things locally it takes some looking and it's usually on the edge of town and requires a cab since I don't drive. Halifax is also the biggest city (not very big) central in the region with Montreal (way bigger) being a 12 hour drive for those who are unaware.

ecko
08-10-2010, 05:24 AM
, i had to drive 2 hours to find a decent (but very expensive) shop

If you were traveling west that would put you right about here in Ottawa. (And you couldn't even take the time to knock on my door and say hello :p)

I agree with everything. Finding a descent(read: inexpensive) local PC shop is difficult. And it would be great if Tim could supply us with more variety.
I for one, was unaware that there would be an extra process for the Trans Gold.

I would be willing to pay the an extra fee. I know the decision is up Tim, I also state this so that he can be aware that there is some interest. Whether it's profitable for him, he will determine that.

Until that time I am looking into ways to do my own.

Matt you mentioned you have your own equipment. Care to tell us more, cost, process, tutorial? (or would that be a forum no-no?)

Matt Thorn
08-10-2010, 05:50 AM
Matt you mentioned you have your own equipment. Care to tell us more, cost, process, tutorial? (or would that be a forum no-no?)
Not sure it would be a non-no, since there's nothing to promote. I just got hold of the now-discontinued Craftsman Powder Coating System on ebay. You might still be able to dig one up somewhere. They aren't (or rather "weren't") expensive, and are easy to use. I don't know why it was discontinued. :-(

xl97
08-10-2010, 09:40 AM
over-all getting a low budget PC'ing machien for 'our hobby' needs is VERY cheap..

but the machine isnt the only thing you'll need.

PC mahine
oven
poweders
hooks
tin-foil
high temp tape
silicon plugs (various sizes).

etc.

I have found the hardest things are:

proping/secuing irregular, or long pieces (having a normal full size oven helps this of course)

and getting decent finishes on trans colors.. (usually hot flocking or another cost while hot helps this as well)

proper set-up, ventilaztion and disposal also count.

lots to get and set-up when you could pay Tim the $12-15 bucks or whatever it costs!

for the time clean, prep, tape, mount/secure, mist/dust...move/hang and then cure the part!..

I dont see there being much profit at all.. not at his prices.

you guys should check out PC forums to get soem ideas fo what 'pros' charge for this...and you'll be thanking Tim (again)

Ronan
08-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Sorry ecko! Next time i'm near ottawa i'll come say hello!

And we can add SPACE to the list. I live in a ~80 square meter apartment, alone, but i can say my photography equipment is already taking quite a lot of space.

Oh what i would give for a basement... i would put all my tools in there...

Ah maybe when i get older and buy a house :p

xl97, i don't think i have seen anyone complain about Tim's prices. If anything most of us are ready to pay MORE to get more options and all that...