PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Knight : Jedi Academy - XBOX / PC

Devilstar2k2
03-23-2006, 03:13 PM
Probably REALLY old news for some of you, but do any of you guys play this game? I think it might be the best SW lightsaber game out to date, and its an oldie too. I picked mine up at GameStop for $17.

I actually like the game play better than the KOTOR games. It can be either 1st, or 3rd person. It plays like Tomb Raider in 3rd, and Battlefront in 1st. The thing that I like most about it is the control of the saber. It absolutely kills KOTOR, and ROTS, imo. Also, its LIVE/ONLINE enabled.

Not to mention the combos of all of the different styles/colors of sabers, and fighting stances. I think its probably the most under-rated SW game ever. The only bad thing about it are the maps, they can look blocky and such, but hey, its an old game.

If you want a good lightsaber game, this is the one. There is also Jedi Knight II : Jedi Outcast, but I like Academy better for some reason.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/xdm41/jedi_academy04.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/xdm41/10840460912.jpg

naashar
03-23-2006, 03:22 PM
Oh, easily the best Star Wars game out there!! Close tie between that and Revenge of The Sith, also on X-Box.

I love the customization aspect of the characters, and picking your lightsaber hilt/color is King!!

To save money, I'll typically trade my games in, seeing as how I'll beat them in ridiculous times, but that Jedi Academy is staying on my shelf. Trust, and believe.

You don't need to see any identification.

Devilstar2k2
03-23-2006, 03:24 PM
Yeah, I think I need to mod my box to save the game. Either that, or have someone make me some back-ups. I had a hell of a time finding the game used (which is the only way to get it now it seems).

LAN-ED-TUL
03-23-2006, 03:35 PM
i have that academy game on pc. beat it 3 times over. also got kotor 1 and 2. beat 1 and still playin 2. with all the darth vader and saber buildin ive been doin havent played kotor 2 in awhile. i like all 3 games. theyre great.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

Nightwing
03-23-2006, 03:40 PM
I acccidentally stumbled upon a used copy of the game for PC, packaged with the instruction manual. Apparently, no one was buying it with the manual, so the price had dropped to $7.99. It was funny; I stood there looking back and forth between the regular used game, which was priced at $21.99, and the same thing, but shrinkwrapped with a manual, for $7.99.

Now I've gotten to the point on it where I can just look at an enemy's stance and instinctively know which move to use.
I had to jack it up to Jedi Master mode so I didn't just end up like a God.

desertscorpion
03-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Ditto, ditto, ditto. Finally! I've been blown away by the number of people who don't know about this game. I've bought and traded many games, but this one has a permanent slot on the shelf. I wish they'd make a sequel. Better yet, I wish they'd use a similar approach in gameplay for the next KOTOR game and shelf that turn based crapola. I've played through each KOTOR game twice, but I still pull out Academy, from time to time. Played it a zillion times. I have outcast but like Academy better, too. Though, I do like Kyle better than Jaden.

naashar
03-23-2006, 03:51 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by desertscorpion

Ditto, ditto, ditto. Finally! I've been blown away by the number of people who don't know about this game. I've bought and traded many games, but this one has a permanent slot on the shelf. I wish they'd make a sequel. Better yet, I wish they'd use a similar approach in gameplay for the next KOTOR game. I've played through each KOTOR game twice, but I still pull out Academy, from time to time. I have outcast but like Academy better, too. Though, I do like Kyle better than Jaden.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yeppers. Kyle, easily. I like the whole self-actualization thing he's got going. But, there's something to be said when your classmates at the "Academy" ask how you got your invite, and you coolly reply, "Oh, I just up and built one of these..."

Too crucial.

Devilstar2k2
03-23-2006, 03:57 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by desertscorpion

Ditto, ditto, ditto. Finally! I've been blown away by the number of people who don't know about this game.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thats why I made this thread... Well, sorta...

I was talking to my cousin about how great this game is, and he says that he hates it, and everyone that he knows hates it. And I was thinking to myself 'WTF... How is that even possible...?'

EDIT-

BTW, the best Xbox cheat is DLUDRU while holding the right thumb. Its the 'change saber' cheat. You can do it as many times as you want, until you end up with the saber(s) that you want.

desertscorpion
03-23-2006, 03:58 PM
Oh, yeah, the choking thing makes the whole game worth it. I feel like vader everytime I use that. The choke and throw em' off a building method is the best.

Darth Frieds
03-23-2006, 04:04 PM
thats actually my favorite lightsaber game also. I was rather dissapointed at the gameplay in KOTOR. It would have been a better game if it had some of the jedi academy gameplay features. i still play jedi academy to this day. i never see anyone online though. i hope they make another Jedi Knight game soon.

I have surrendured to the ways of the darkside. Fear is my ally

Devilstar2k2
03-23-2006, 04:08 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Darth Frieds

i hope they make another Jedi Knight game soon.

A next-gen game would be awesome... I'm looking at picking up a 360, but none of the games even appeal to me (yet).

desertscorpion
03-23-2006, 04:10 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Devilstar2k2

Ditto, ditto, ditto. Finally! I've been blown away by the number of people who don't know about this game.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thats why I made this thread... Well, sorta...

I was talking to my cousin about how great this game is, and he says that he hates it, and everyone that he knows hates it. And I was thinking to myself 'WTF... How is that even possible...?

Bruce Lee said something one time, and I think it describes most people in regards to everything, whether it's restaurants, movies, cars, videogames or whatever. It went something like this (roughly): "Flashy martial arts is like cheap wine, it's sweet, but not a whole lot of flavor. Good martial arts is like good wine, it's not as sweet, but has tang, and flavor that lasts longer." Anyway, if you throw something that actually has some quality to it to most people, they're confused and say it sucks. Which reminds me. I'd be playing KOTOR or Jade Empire, and my wife would say: "When are you going to kill someone? What's with all of this talking to people?" I had to explain to her that some games actually have a story and require a little more from the player than mindless button mashing.

At least most people have good enough taste to choose ribs over the McRib.[:p]

LAN-ED-TUL
03-23-2006, 04:16 PM
[/quote]

Bruce Lee said something one time, and I think it describes most people in regards to everything, whether it's restaurants, movies, cars, videogames or whatever. It went something like this (roughly): "Flashy martial arts is like cheap wine, it's sweet, but not a whole lot of flavor. Good martial arts is like good wine, it's not as sweet, but has tang, and flavor that lasts longer." Anyway, if you throw something that actually has some quality to it to most people, they're confused and say it sucks.

[/quote]

so true. sad, but true.

desertscorpion
03-23-2006, 04:22 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Devilstar2k2

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Darth Frieds

i hope they make another Jedi Knight game soon.

A next-gen game would be awesome... I'm looking at picking up a 360, but none of the games even appeal to me (yet).

Try out Oblivion. Maybe they'd make some SW mods for it in the future. I know that players always doing mods on other games - at least PC games.

Devilstar2k2
03-23-2006, 04:28 PM
I'm a console gamer... Always have been....

I've tried a few PC games, and I just can't get the knack for the keyboard. I know that they make USB controls and such, but I'm far too lazy to program them. [:p]

desertscorpion
03-23-2006, 04:34 PM

I've tried a few PC games, and I just can't get the knack for the keyboard. I know that they make USB controls and such, but I'm far too lazy to program them. [:p]

Me, too. And PCs don't react well when you throw them across the room. Consoles are a little more forgiving.

Devilstar2k2
03-23-2006, 04:37 PM
lol... So true... [:D]

naashar
03-23-2006, 04:37 PM

There's nothing like a pressed-pork sandwich..mmmm, pressed pork.

naashar
03-23-2006, 04:39 PM

Me, too. And PCs don't react well when you throw them across the room. Consoles are a little more forgiving.

Oh, I don't know..I find that the new, sleek designs of today's towers lend themselves handily to hurling.

LAN-ED-TUL
03-23-2006, 04:56 PM
thats too funny lol

Nightwing
03-23-2006, 05:36 PM

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I have all three control types:

A console-style controller
A keyboard and optical mouse
A Saitek X52 Flight Control System [:D][8D][:D]

The mouse/keyboard setup was hard to get used to for the first several days. After that, I became the master. I can literally be accurate down to a pixel on 1024x768 resolution.
The controller is useful for action/platformer games, like the ones ported from consoles, but Jedi Academy is a PC game that was ported to the consoles. Plus, with the PC, you get all the player-created content, free of charge! but ONLY if you call in the next 15 minutes...

naashar
03-23-2006, 05:55 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Nightwing

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I have all three control types:

The mouse/keyboard setup was hard to get used to for the first several days. After that, I became the master. I can literally be accurate down to a pixel on 1024x768 resolution.
The controller is useful for action/platformer games, like the ones ported from consoles, but Jedi Academy is a PC game that was ported to the consoles. Plus, with the PC, you get all the player-created content, free of charge! but ONLY if you call in the next 15 minutes...

My phone's busy...it's busy!! If only I'd sprung for "speed dial" instead of the "pulse/tone" option...

987654321a
03-23-2006, 06:34 PM
i like star wars kotor 2 more tho!!!

The Dark Side will kill you
www.starwarscustoms.bravehost.com
http://www.imageuploader.org/uploads/598a8186b2.gif

xwingband
03-23-2006, 08:29 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Nightwing

SWEET! I have the X45 and I had the X32. Beautiful things they are. I also have a Microsoft Sidewinder Dual Strike I use for FPS's. It has a rotating middle so I use the right as the mouse, and left side for movement. Plus all the buttons make games so much fun not tied to a keyboard.

<center>Read the FAQ (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=552) or x-wing won't be happy. :(
Before posting did you check the Thread Index (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=577)?

Want to roleplay in the SW universe? Visit:
http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg (www.dewbackwing.com)</center>

Devilstar2k2
03-23-2006, 09:01 PM
Yup... Definitely Academy > Outcast

I was just playing Outcast, and its so damn boring. They should rename it Jedi Knight : Jedi Switch Flipper.

Nightwing
03-23-2006, 09:11 PM

I was just playing Outcast, and its so damn boring. They should rename it Jedi Knight : Jedi Switch Flipper.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Well, yeah. It's based on Dark Forces.
But I'm pretty sure it gets better once you actually get into it a bit. The story is also alot better than Academy.

xwingband
03-23-2006, 09:13 PM
Dark forces blew... I'm still in love with the flying games like x-wing alliance and xwing vs. tie fighter. I <3 them.

<center>Read the FAQ (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=552) or x-wing won't be happy. :(
Before posting did you check the Thread Index (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=577)?

http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg (www.dewbackwing.com)</center>

Nightwing
03-23-2006, 09:20 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by xwingband

Dark forces blew... I'm still in love with the flying games like x-wing alliance and xwing vs. tie fighter. I <3 them.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Hehe. I use my X52 to play XWA. [:D][:D][:D]

Still trying to figure out a way to get it to work with X-Wing Collector's CD, though.
I've got Win98 on a second hard drive, and it runs X-Wing like a dream. All except the joystick. I've used a USB joystick with it before, but this one doesn't seem to wanna work.

Devilstar2k2
03-23-2006, 09:20 PM

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Well, yeah. It's based on Dark Forces.
But I'm pretty sure it gets better once you actually get into it a bit. The story is also alot better than Academy.

I'm gonna finish the game, its been a long time since I've played it... But... My God, I must have flipped over 50 switches alone on just the first 2 levels.

1. Flip a switch
2. Kill Stormtroopers
3. Run in a circle
4. Repeat steps 1,2,3 until the level is over

[B)][B)][B)]

Nightwing
03-23-2006, 09:27 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Devilstar2k2I'm gonna finish the game, its been a long time since I've played it... But... My God, I must have flipped over 50 switches alone on just the first 2 levels.

1. Flip a switch
2. Kill Stormtroopers
3. Run in a circle
4. Repeat steps 1,2,3 until the level is over

[B)][B)][B)]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Yup, that's the way it goes. The next level's more fun.

You'll get your lighsaber in two or three hours... HAHAHA [;)].

Devilstar2k2
03-23-2006, 09:32 PM
Um... I already have it...

Cheat: FUDGE

xwingband
03-23-2006, 09:33 PM
Yeah, the first few levels are like that. It's meant to be an orientation.

XWA is AMAZING! I played it back with dial-up.[:D]

supertrogdor
03-24-2006, 10:32 AM

nothing wrong there, got to have the lightsaber or it just is not any fun... I am all for cheating... more cheating i say
at least to get your light saber
Must love Jedi Academy, i just finished it again and thought to myself, Self- better check the TCSS forums to see if there is anything new and exciting... Lo and behold we have the topic of my last hours activity

desertscorpion
03-24-2006, 10:34 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by naashar

There's nothing like a pressed-pork sandwich..mmmm, pressed pork.

My favorite food label term is "mechanically separated." Mmmmm, mmm!!!

Nightwing
03-24-2006, 10:36 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by xwingband

XWA is AMAZING! I played it back with dial-up.[:D]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">X-Wing (the original from 1992) is my favorite game of all time, hands down.

desertscorpion
03-24-2006, 11:54 AM

I think you'll like Bespin and some of the other environments. Some of the environments I liked better on Outcast.

xwingband
03-24-2006, 01:09 PM

XWA is AMAZING! I played it back with dial-up.[:D]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">X-Wing (the original from 1992) is my favorite game of all time, hands down.

I remember that too, I had the pack of like five or something, but now I like the ability to update XWA ... I think it was called the XWA project.

On XWA I had a friend who's computer had to run it on the lowest settings... final death star run:

Him: SHOOT THE TIE!!!
Me: Those blobs on the wall?!?!

thestr8metaledge
03-24-2006, 01:47 PM
big fan of Jedi Academy for PC...anyone ever have those kills online where you wreck a guy who's been playing it a lot longer than you? you can always tell when that's all they do with their spare time and that they're used to being the ones on top. they start flipping out at you lol.

Devilstar2k2
05-09-2006, 02:44 PM
I decided to post this here instead of making a new topic...

G4TV will be broadcasting from the E3 Expo today. They will be giving the skinny on all of the new platforms, and 360 games. It will start at 6PM.

Looks like PS3 is supposed to be amazing, it comes with blu-ray compression and is priced at $599 for the larger of the 2 packages. Thats not too shabby considering that the Blu-ray dvd players are supposed to enter the market at around $1000 alone. I read that Sony will be taking a loss on the PS3s for the first few years, but will eventually profit from them (something like that).

Right now, I'm thinking that the PS3 is gonna wipe out 360 sales. Which reminds me, I'm really glad that I waited on buying a next-gen system. The PS3 graphics look great. I'm just not sure (yet) if the in game graphics look as good as the trailers. I guess we'll find out at 6:00. But right now, my money is on the PS3 [;)]

Feel free to post any info/thoughts that you may have... I'm excited to hear what everyone thinks, and anything that I may have missed.

LAN-ED-TUL
05-09-2006, 11:18 PM
yeah, i had to cheat on academy too. lol it was cool to whoop up on those suckers and not get hurt. still would die if i felloff a edge of something tho. still fun tho.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c291/LAN-ED-TUL/groupshot.jpg

The Brotherhood Of The Sith

LAN-ED-TUL
05-09-2006, 11:20 PM
yeah, i had to cheat on academy too. lol it was cool to whoop up on those suckers and not get hurt. still would die if i felloff a edge of something tho. still fun tho.

i have it on pc. it wasnt all that hard to use the keyboard and my mouse to play it.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c291/LAN-ED-TUL/groupshot.jpg

The Brotherhood Of The Sith

GFORCE13
05-10-2006, 01:36 AM
I am a Pc Gamer, recently finsihed Battlefront and Lego and currently working on KOTOR; swoop racing on Tatooine, my next one will probably be Empire at War and then Lego 2 in September.[8D]

<center>
" I am a Jedi like my Father before me"
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c237/G-FORCE13/th_DCP_1240.jpg
</center>

NooB1Kenobi
05-10-2006, 02:43 AM
I don't play academy for the lightsabers...
I play it cause I like looking at a twi'leks butt for hours on in..
That and you can dress them how you like and make them twirl for ya..
I think maybe this started my Twi'lek fetish...
Gotta love the lekku...[:p]

Female Twi'leks are so Hot! I want one. =0)~

informalmyx
05-10-2006, 04:31 AM
true I confess i love lekkua

<center>http://webpages.charter.net/myxmyth/infomyx.jpg
"Many claim to have found serenity, and through serenity to have overcome anger. Such arrogance is astounding."
</center>

GFORCE13
05-10-2006, 11:54 PM
<font size="3"> TMFI[:D][:p][:o)]</font id="size3">

<center>
" I am a Jedi like my Father before me"
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c237/G-FORCE13/th_DCP_1240.jpg
</center>