PDA

View Full Version : help with driver board HELP

darth chaos
11-05-2008, 06:11 AM
ok my first ? is where can i buy/get a driver board

MoonDragn
11-05-2008, 07:07 AM
Start here http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=2087

and read through all the tutorials first.

There is a driver board for sale in the store, but you might decide to do it differently after reading the posts.

ThreeQuadFive
11-05-2008, 08:35 AM
Augh! Lazy newbs!

Lord Dottore Matto
11-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Jes*$ H. Chri$7! Can't anyone read anything...***top of heat literally blows off in frustration***:mad:

Novastar
11-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Easy, easy, EASY! :)

Let's not start destroying the new folks quite THIS quickly!! :)

NewberL337
11-06-2008, 12:45 AM
Jes*$ H. Chri$7! Can't anyone read anything...***top of heat literally blows off in frustration***:mad:

Well I can SORTA see his frustration. He took all that time to create that list of what to do on making your first LED saber for this reason specifically. I have that thread bookmarked lol.

Novastar
11-06-2008, 03:01 AM
I get like 10 messages a day (via e-mail, TCSS, Y-tube, etc.) about stuff that most of the regulars here would consider pretty "banal" and easily answered with a little research, but...

I try never to forget that *I* was once asking "silly" questions... when I had no idea about anything regarding electronics. Granted, that was back in 2004/2005 when less info was available via these sites, but... still...

...I try to answer every one of those e-mails, messages, etc. Dang is it tough though... :)

ThreeQuadFive
11-06-2008, 08:06 AM
Hey, I always try to take pitty on newbs, I was a newb once myself, and we are always newbs in a field unfamiliar to us, but what typically sets us apart from some of the others is that we bother to do a little digging first.

Some people don't want to take the time to do research, they simply want to be spoon fed, a problem partially generated by the computer age and the children part of it. Instant Gratification has its draw backs.

MoonDragn
11-06-2008, 08:40 AM
Well any of you newbies out there, I'll be happy to answer any questions you have. Feel free to send me pms.

We were all newbies once, and when you're on an unfamiliar forum, it is not always obvious that theres a tutorial staring you right in the face.

Jay-gon Jinn
11-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Some of you guys are still newbs, compared to some of the other members here, y'know....http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/Smilies/db085110.gif

Jedi-Loreen
11-06-2008, 04:06 PM
Yeah! lol ;)

I don't have the patience to deal with these lazy newbies like some of you do, so I leave them up to those that do.

Lord Dottore Matto
11-07-2008, 12:25 AM
The way that I view n00b: It is a state of mind. Many folks join a particular forum (and are therefore a n00b to that particular forum) that have been involved in saber building for a long time. For example, I didn't actually "join" here until roughly 1 1/2 years AFTER I built my first saber because I felt as though I had nothing constructive to offer (until I had a firm grasp of the basics). I had been reading Fx-Sabers for nearly 3 years before I registered there, then BAM here are 30 sabers! Wouldn't it be ridiculous for me to treat Jay-Gon or Jedi Loreen like a n00b simply because they just joined a particularly really cool forum? Heck no, they are judged on their contributions and how they present themselves! I am not saying that everyone has to do what I did, nor am I implying that one must be a master saber smith or EL pioneer in order to have a valid opinion! A little effort would be nice occasionally however!
Those of you who do put forth the effort, I and others appreciate it!

BTW, I'd like to echo what MoonDragn said. I am open to helping through PM for "duh" questions. I have done this for many members who are now positive contributors!

No one is perfect, which is why this community is a great forum in which to share knowledge about a really cool hobby. Lets all just try a little harder!;)

MoonDragn
11-07-2008, 07:01 AM
Well I've only just started saber making 1 month ago. Still a newbie myself, asking the occasional dumb questions and making mistakes. But you never learn anything if you don't ask questions and make mistakes. You might think doing a search would solve all your problems, but the search function in these forums are very picky. It doesn't find posts that you KNOW are there but if you don't use the right keywords, it doesn't show up on the search at all.

Ghostbat
11-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Well I've only just started saber making 1 month ago. Still a newbie myself, asking the occasional dumb questions and making mistakes. But you never learn anything if you don't ask questions and make mistakes. You might think doing a search would solve all your problems, but the search function in these forums are very picky. It doesn't find posts that you KNOW are there but if you don't use the right keywords, it doesn't show up on the search at all.

I completely agree about the search function. It's just not terribly good and it is rare to find a forum where it is!

However there is a clearly marked section called "New to the saber scene? Start Here" and while it of course does not answer every question, it answers the basic ones and makes it so that your questions can be worded and directed intelligently rather than being of the "How do I make a saber?" variety. If you add to that just reading the stickies in each tutorial section you could probably teach classes on making sabers. You would still have questions yes (I still have plenty), but ones that the masters (who probably still have questions themselves) would be more than happy to address.

That being said, the call of "ARGH NOOB" is almost exactly as constructive as the original question, better to post yet another gentle list of all your favorite stickies and starting points, aim our new friend in the right direction, and build our reputation as a friendly and knowledgeable bunch instead of our reputation as a bunch of crabby elitists :)

Novastar
11-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Ghost & Moon both have some EXCELLENT points.

I guess the point is (while we're here extrapolating on it)... remember to GIVE BACK whenever you can.

But it's also true that people should at least put some thought into a subject before posting. In other words, let's avoid stupid questions. I mentioned one that I got in my Q&A thing, where like 5 people asked:

"What's on the N-Star Sound CD?"

I'm serious! Like... what the HELL is WRONG with you?!?!? :P Not to mention, if they even KNEW about it, they had to have already visited my video, my website or Erv's site... WHICH LISTS EXACTLY WHAT'S ON IT RIGHT THERE! Duh.

So sure. THAT'S lame. It's like standing on your glasses and saying "Where's my glasses".

But LEGITIMATE "noob" questions, like "I don't get it, do I need to put the LED on... um, I think they say it's a heatsink???"... sure, that I'd be happy to answer anytime. :)

Jay-gon Jinn
11-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Now, my comment wasn't intended to offend anyone, it was a joke...I just think it's funny that someone who's been a member for a month or two refers to some one who just signed up as a "noob" or "newb" or however you want to spell it....

MaverickJsmith
11-07-2008, 07:05 PM
As i've said before,

Knock heads gently with knowledge, instead of knocking them with vigor.

Show them patience, and they might learn :wink:

Maverick 8)