PDA

View Full Version : jbweld & powder coat baking

sithlordfaust
11-03-2008, 09:55 PM
im thinking of getting one a sink tube for a cutout shroud and attaching one of the new control boxes to it
im thinking with jb weld and having it powder coated.
should i order the parts and cut the shroud attach the box and send it back to Tim for coating or should i order the parts coated and attach them afterward
my concerns are.
1.) if i attach and send em back for coating, will the jb weld hold through the baking and have longevity?

2.) if I order them coated will the paint chip and flake when i do the cutouts and will the jbweld have longevity if its between 2 powder coated surfaces?

Jedi-Loreen
11-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Powder coating isn't really a paint, and it's applied electrostatically, then cured under heat to allow it to flow and form a skin, so I don't know it if would even adhere to JB Weld initially, because it is an epoxy resin, and not metallic.

I'm not sure how much heat it can take, or for how long, but JB Weld can be used in engine parts, can't it?

It might be a better idea to do your cutouts in your sink tube first, then sent it back for powder coating. I know you'll be paying shipping 3 times, but at least you can be sure you won't mess up the powder coating when you do the cut outs, and the edges of the cuts will be coated, too.

sithlordfaust
11-03-2008, 10:54 PM
I'm not sure how much heat it can take, or for how long, but JB Weld can be used in engine parts, can't it?

confirmation? anybody?

Kant Lavar
11-03-2008, 11:53 PM
Confirmed. Linky to Wiki. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J-B_Weld)