PDA

View Full Version : post for comments

swear000
10-31-2008, 12:37 PM
These are the sabers built/being built. I posted here for any comments all you wonderful people may have.

The most basic one is just grab bag parts, a sink tube, and has a habro sound card (yes I finally got it to work).

The Graflex is the uber baby and will probably sport a CF (if I get my hands on one)

The one with the ribbed middle and O-rings is going to get an Ultrasound and possibly a 10 segment display bargraph accelerometer:
http://www.sci-spot.com/Electronic/accelerometer.htm

The last piece is going to be a weathered saber that I still have to cut a window in for a crystal chamber and decide which other pieces I will use. Lots of work will probably be done just on this section though.

Lord Dottore Matto
10-31-2008, 03:08 PM
What are your ideas for a pommel on the third one? The grab bag saber is basic, but has potential. Your weathering is very well done, so I look forward to seeing what you will do with it!:cool:

swear000
10-31-2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I will probably use an Obi Wan style pommel in conjunction with some type of connection. I agree the grab bag saber is very basic. I may leave that one as is for a basic "demo saber". I have the same parts for building another identical one that I will probably add too. Not really sure what I should add to it so suggestions are always welcome. The switch was an anti-vandal type button (I think it is supposed to light up somehow). I used a small hole saw for mounting it but the button is flat and does not sit flush with the curvature of the hilt. Probably needs a switch mount but I haven't seen any that would be usable yet.

Donnovan Sunrider
10-31-2008, 03:47 PM
The the button, you can put a small rubber o-ring in there to fill in the gap.

I really like the idea of demo sabres. That can save some wear and tear on your personal one.

Your Graflex is looking really sharp. I'd like to have one of those some day myself. So iconic, yet it still looks sharp with the covertec wheel.

I really like the third one. It seems really compact and rugged. It looks like you could use it to hammer railroad spikes.

I'm interested in seeing what you do with that last component. It looks like a couple of MHS parts fused together. Love the weathering, very cool.
What size is that? Are you able to fit a sink tube on the outside or inside?

swear000
10-31-2008, 04:08 PM
O rings are a very interesting idea.

The Graflex has been taunting me to cut a window below the thumbscrew for a crystal chamber. I may hold off and try it on another Graflex I am building to see how it turns out.

The third one will be getting a red blade and will most likely be the primary saber.

I am currently cutting a window in the weathered piece (waiting for the dremel to charge while handing out candy). Not sure on the size but I can fit a 1.5 inch sink tube over it. It has threads as well so I may be adding threaded pieces when I get more funds. No hurry, because I plan on packing that piece with electronics that will take time to plan and build. It will likely be getting a red LED and red accent LEDs

Pullo
10-31-2008, 04:50 PM
Far as I am concerned all these sabers have look sweet.

swear000
10-31-2008, 05:33 PM
thanks man. They were quite challenging to build but I learned a lot that I can hopefully apply to future sabers. I have been thinking about an IRON MAN saber that is powdercoated red, has a gold overlay and soft blue accent leds (eyes).