PDA

View Full Version : Question about the new clamp boxes.

Donnovan Sunrider
10-30-2008, 06:35 AM
I'm looking at the new control boxes, and I'm wondering how they're intended to attach to the hilt. Do these fit in the replica Graflex clamp offered in the store, or will a custom clamp made to hold these be on the way later?

I'm not a big control box fan, but I'd be tempted to play with designs using them since they're now easy and inexpensive to get.

Darth Morbius
10-30-2008, 02:05 PM
Screws...

MaverickJsmith
10-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Yes, screws :roll:

Just drill holes in the control boxes and do the same in the part they're attaching to. Thread and wallah. Screw it in.

Although, I do believe they are the same control boxes as the ones from Saberkit.com. So I believe you'll need a sink tube spacer for them to fit properly.

Think of it this way, you just made yourself a custom control box and clamp 8)

Maverick 8)

Jedi-Loreen
10-30-2008, 02:39 PM
Thos boxes look like they might be machined to fit the MHS pieces, to me.

I know you are trying to write phonetically, but "wallah" is not correct. We actually use a French word, "voila". [vwah-lah;Fr. vwa-la]
interjection (used to express success or satisfaction).

I didn't know if "wallah" was an actual word, so I looked it up at dictionary.com and it said:

wal⋅lah  /ˈwɑhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pnglɑ,-lə/[wah-lah,-luh]

–noun Anglo-Indian. a person in charge of, employed at, or concerned with a particular thing (used in combination): a book wallah; a ticket wallah.

That my language lesson for the day. ;)

Jay-gon Jinn
10-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Runny, those look like Parks' boxes to me....which is fine, because I hate having to wait three or four weeks to get a $10 box.

I've use one of those before, on one of my brass sabers, BS-2.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/My%20Brass%20Sabers%202%20and%203/000_0677.jpg
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/My%20Brass%20Sabers%202%20and%203/000_0682.jpg
Here's the thread showing what I did:
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=4422&page=5

Onli-Won Kanomi
10-30-2008, 04:02 PM
Yeah I think you might be right Jay-Gon. I wondered that about the Kobold D-ring when they appeared here a few weeks back and then the Graflex/MPP clamps and now these...if the black and silver lasercut clamps with the strobing red and green lighted bubbles appear here [please Strydur please...] then I guess we'll know for sure eh...;-)...meanwhile one of these for sure on my next order...but which would work best with the PLI???...hmmmmm...

MaverickJsmith
10-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Actually Loreen, "wallah" is a common word over here, at least around here. So, "wallah" there you have it.

And yes, I know what voila is.

The language lesson was informative. I can say I've been subjected to one or yours now :shock:

Maverick :shock:

Angelus Lupus
10-30-2008, 04:41 PM
J-Lo is right. Which ever way you look at it, "wallah" how you are using it, is just a corruption (in spelling and pronunciation) of the French. It may simply have been used so much that people forget its origins.

Incidentally I knew the actual meaning of Wallah

Now back to the topic

MaverickJsmith
10-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Yes, back on topic.

If they are milled for the MHS Diameter, fantastic :shock:

Would make things easier for me 8)

Maverick 8)

Donnovan Sunrider
10-30-2008, 05:15 PM
It looks like they are. Box 2 & 3 have pretty evident curves on the bottom that seem to conform to the tubes they're photographed on.

Jay-gon Jinn
10-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Well, if these are Parks boxes, then the bottom has a radius to fit a 1.5" diameter tube, so they should fit okay on the MHS' 1.45" diameter.

Strydur
10-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Yes even though they are machined for 1.5 you cant tell that on a 1.45 as they fit just fine.

And yes the led strobing bubble strips with a momentary latching circuit will be available eventually.

Jonitus
10-31-2008, 07:33 AM
This is great news, Tim. These boxes are going to come in really handy for a lot of builds.

Is carrying these boxes the solution to our timeless debate on designing a box for the MHS that we seemed to mull around for the longest time? I'm cool with it if it is, because I like these boxes. The bargraph with the tactile switch will be a neat addition too when it arrives.

MoonDragn
10-31-2008, 07:55 AM
would be nice to have side pieces for these boxes so you can close off either side and not have to use tape.

Also, since these boxes usually go against the hilt, maybe an option for boxes with holes already drilled so you can mount switches whatever?

Strydur
10-31-2008, 09:39 AM
We will probably still do our own solution but for now at least its something to offer.

FenderBender
10-31-2008, 10:03 PM
Something low profile to hold anti-vandals like the JQ boxes would be AWWWWEEESSSSSOMMMMEEE!!!!!!

Tenric Starkindler
11-01-2008, 08:47 AM
A great addition...low profile especially.
time to raid the sofa cushions again.......