PDA

View Full Version : Anything else worth saving?

samurai_rob
10-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Gonna buy a hasbro to rip down and tinker with while I wait on my first order of electronic components and was just wondering if there was anything else in there -other than the sound board- that would be worth saving, or is everything else throw-away?:p

Tom Starkiller
10-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Depends which Hasbro saber you get.

If you have the Obi-Rots, there's always the vibrator. (Uhm... no jokes.)
The episode three ones also have LEDs instead of bulbs, for the blade, you may be able to find use for them... you could maybe use the wires, the speaker... And not once have I thought about this before... thanks for that, I'm getting some new ideas now. :D

samurai_rob
10-29-2008, 06:15 PM
Not a problem, Tom! Glad to inspire! What is, in your opinion would be the best of the current crop on on-shelf sabers at wal-mart to get for sound? I was thinking of the vader just because I'm making a vader-inspired saber for my first go.:p

Donnovan Sunrider
10-29-2008, 06:20 PM
I keep anything inside the sabre and the blade segments. I tend to find uses for the odd bits and pieces.

I like the current spring-blade sabres best of any of the toys I've work with before. They actually have a swing noise as well as actual extend/retract sounds. I remember when it seemed like the same clashing noise for extend, clash and retract.

samurai_rob
10-29-2008, 06:23 PM
That's me. I rarely ever throw anything away. I'm that much like my father.;)

swear000
10-29-2008, 07:13 PM
The sabers on the shelves were mostly Vaders and Obi-Wan Force Action from the new Clone Wars movie. The internals are basically the same with the only variation I could find being a few of the wire colors. Supposedly, micro vibration motors could be run somehow but I had no luck trying to hook one up. The saber itself has some screws, metal pins, and various other odds and ends. There is a huge spring inside for pushing the blade out. I saved those. I have a few so I may use them if I try and build a go-cart or giant robot someday.

***edit**
The Electronic Light Sabers from hasbro.com are earlier versions and they have the tilt sensor wired separate so more cumbersome to install. They did have a LED mount that I am going to try and mod into a crystal chamber somehow.

samurai_rob
10-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Sweet! my next project is gonna be a crystal chamber! I'm obsessed with them! I can't get them off my mind since I saw the first one in the gallery!:p

MoonDragn
10-29-2008, 08:38 PM
heck you can even melt down the plastic and recast it ;)

DarthFender
10-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Short of Melting anything down, I like to use the electronix covers. if you split one on half longways you can sandwich it around a 20 element LED Bargraph and then you have a ready made control box.

Kant Lavar
10-30-2008, 01:25 AM
... if I try and build a go-cart or giant robot someday.

The Custom BattleMech Shop, anyone?

swear000
10-30-2008, 09:14 AM
i googled it but didn't find it. You have a link?

samurai_rob
10-30-2008, 09:20 AM
I may be wrong...but I think he was kidding.:eek: