PDA

View Full Version : saber overhaulin' !!!

methos
10-26-2008, 09:11 PM
heya guys, its been quite a while since i've haunted these forums and built my first lightsaber! now, almost 1.5 years later, i'm overhaulin the thing.

when i first wired it, there was no sound ,just straight led action! now i'm getting fancy!

the gf for my birthday no less, got me one of those hasbro byo lightsaber kits, and it had a really nice gutteral hum i took a liking to, so i gutted the hasbro joint to put it into my rlsa custom saber. its a simple ignite/unignite idle and clash sound system, but thats all i need for this baby.

now this hasbro has me with a few questions. the board had a battery input of 3v via 2 d cells, and the needed voltage to the wee little light bulb was 2.4v, and it looked like it had a momentary contact that did the igniting and unigniting.

my questions to you electronic genius':

1. i have 6v input voltage via a 4aaa holder, will the board be able to hold the voltage needed for the lux5 led, seeing what it was running before? will i need one of those buckpuck things?

2. the switch has me alittle concerned, am i right in thinking i can jimmy wire the latching on/off switch on the contact lugs on the board and it will work, or should i just use a momentary switch?

all advice is well appreciated!

Lord Dottore Matto
10-26-2008, 10:39 PM
6v with buckpuck thingy, and 2 switches one momentary and one latching. Welcome back!:mrgreen:

this linky ought to help ya'-->http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=372

sithlordfaust
10-27-2008, 12:04 AM
ive been goin that route but it only is giving me round 20min solid run time. an hour with energizer e2 ultra lithiums

methos
10-27-2008, 08:32 AM
thanks for the link! so it cleared a few problems: i have ot use a momentary switch, but thats cheap. the buckpuck now seems essential becuase i need to run this on 3v for the board not to fry. so can i do that all wit hthe buckpuck, as in feeding it for power to the board and led, or o i need a resistor for power to the board?

MoonDragn
10-27-2008, 08:44 AM
The buckpuck will not run at 3V. It needs at least 5Vs.

The simplest thing to do is what Matto suggested. Have two separate circuits one running on 6Vs and the other on a separate 3V batteries.

Alternatively, you could wire them up in parallel, with the outside loop going 6V to the buckpuck and the lead in the middle of the 2 batteries to give you 3Vs to the sound board. Then you can put a diode in both loops to prevent current crossing the loops.

You can use a switch like this http://e-switch.com/index.php?contentID=261&type=push&seriesID=43. That can provide both Momentary and Latching effects.

methos
10-27-2008, 11:05 AM
can someone draft up a quick shem of this 2 circuit deal?