PDA

View Full Version : Corbin's Dad

Corbin_Das
10-24-2008, 08:14 PM
Hi all.
I would ask for your thoughts and prayers for my family during a difficult time. About noon today (Friday), my Father (named Jess) had a pretty severe stroke. He is unable to speak or move his left side right now, but we're told many changes can occur in the next day or so. At this point it's just a waiting game and a time for all sorts of tests to see how much damage was done and how much of it is permanent.

Thanks guys

Corbin Das

Donnovan Sunrider
10-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Oh Corbin, I'm so sorry to hear that.
My thoughts are with you, and I hope for the best possible prognosis for your dad.

acerocket
10-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Sad news indeed. I wish you and your family all the best and I hope you father has a quick recovery.

Er Dan Gill
10-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Sorry to here the bad news Corbin.
Best wishes from my family to yours.

Darcy666
10-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Very sorry to hear this. I hope all the best for you and your family.

Lord Maul
10-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Best wishes Corbin. Hopefully he'll get better

H@rrY89
10-24-2008, 09:22 PM
You father will be in my prayers, I pray he has a quick recovery.

Madcow
10-24-2008, 09:27 PM
Praying for Jess and the whole family right now.

MC

Corbin_Das
10-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Thanks everyone.
We just got a call from the nurse that said they'd call after they finished his testing, but they said they can't tell us the results until 9:00 tomorrow morning (well, it's after midnight now, so THIS morning). I don't know if it's because of liability issues or what, but they won't tell us anything until 9:00AM. I suspect the doctor that's assigned to my Dad won't be around until then and policy prevents the nurses or whatever from telling anyone the test results.
I understand policy, but why tell us you'll call right after the test to let us know what's going on if you knew then that you wouldn't be able to tell us anything? That doesn't make sense to me. It's just aggrevating.
Since we left the hospital, my Dad has coughed up blood 3 or 4 times. He did that right before I got there earlier too. I can't see how a stroke would cause this. What I suspect is the hospital might have given him a blood thinner or something and he might have had an undiagnosed bleeding ulcer that's causing his stomach to fill up with blood. If he's coughing up blood instead of throwing up blood though, that's in the lungs. No clue what's going on in that case.

Anyway, thanks for the prayers. They are needed and appreciated.

Corbin

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
10-24-2008, 09:59 PM
We'll be praying here too.

They've made great strides in stroke recovery lately. If they catch it quickly enough, they can give him treatment to keep the damage from being as severe. Here's hoping the news will be good, and he'll be OK.

37H4N
10-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Man I'm sorry dude. I hope your dad recovers well.

Corbin_Das
10-24-2008, 10:37 PM
They caught it extremely quickly. My Dad had a full knee replacement Thursday (a couple days ago). He was actually IN the hospital recovering from that when he had the stroke. I don't know if the stroke was witnessed when it occured or not, but I guess if you have to have a stroke, already being AT the hospital is a good thing.

The bad part I understand was that since he had a major incision on his knee, they were reluctant to give him blood thinners because they didn't want his wound to bleed too much. I don't know if they gave him a coagulant or not (opposite of blood thinner), but if they did, it's possible that might have been what caused the blood clot that led to the stroke.

I suspect they have him on blood thinners right now and that he has an undiagnosed bleeding ulcer that's causing him to throw up blood. That would explain it.

Corbin

psab keel
10-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Corbin,

I wish the best for your father, and believe me when I say that we are all thinking of him, you and your family during this difficult time. A man that I work with had a stroke last night. I work with his son as well so I will keep him and your father in my prayers.

Take Care,

Psab

Ari-Jaq Xulden
10-25-2008, 12:30 AM
sorry to hear of your woes. heart felt wishes to your dad for a speedy recovery man. i know how tough, and the lack of sleep involved, it is with having close loved ones in the hospital. try and get rest when you can, and keep your spirits high.

Lord Dottore Matto
10-25-2008, 02:52 AM
Man Corbin, your family is added to my prayers starting tonight!

Hasid Lafre
10-25-2008, 03:15 AM
Damn C this sucks, a close friend of mine his grandmother had a stroke and she was well on a full recovery a few days later but shes doing great, almost back to normal ol grandmothra(inside joke).

Hell I almost cried thinking the worse when I heard the news, and I was the 3rd person called.

Keep your hopes going!

Malaki Skywalker
10-25-2008, 03:28 AM
Corbin, I'll be praying for your father and family. Hope he recovers quickly.

ArkaiHalon
10-25-2008, 06:38 AM
may all be well quickly. Please keep us posted.

Lord Preston
10-25-2008, 07:04 AM
Me and my brother will pray for you Corbin, as well as your father and family.

bubbalew
10-25-2008, 07:51 AM
All the best from my family to yours. Heres to a full and speedy recovery

MaverickJsmith
10-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Oh dear indeed! I hope your grandfather has a swift and good recovery.

Maverick ;-;

LordBane21
10-25-2008, 09:52 AM
I am do sorry to hear that. He will be in my thoughts and prayers

chaos
10-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Hey Corbin, I hope he recovers soon.

Corbin_Das
10-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Thanks everyone.

A quick update, as I'm on a computer at the library across from the hospital (a few of us are having lunch).....

No real change. We're not sure how much he remembers yet, as he can't talk and doesn't respond to us very well. Entire left side is still paralysed.

If nothing else, I suppose I can use this experience to try and keep myself in better health. My mom had a stroke a few years back, so now with my dad having one, I imagine that means I'm more susceptible to something like that.

Psab, sorry to hear about your workmate. I hope he recovers well. Strokes suck.

Hasid, I'm glad to hear Grandmothra is doing better.

Jedi-Loreen
10-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Your dad and you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Do keep us posted.

Jay-gon Jinn
10-25-2008, 04:35 PM
Sorry to hear this, Corbin. I hope he gets well soon!

DaJoQuim
10-25-2008, 05:45 PM
Hi Joe!!
I'm So sorry to hear about your father!!I remember when my father had his stroke.he recovered and I pray that your father does too!!

strengthofrage
10-25-2008, 06:44 PM
Thoughts and prayers Corbin, I am sure your father is being well cared for and I hope to hear of his recovery soon :)

Novastar
10-26-2008, 12:28 AM
I had a feeling something wasn't right, since I hadn't seen nor heard from you in a quite a bit. I was getting worried, as I remember speaking with you on the phone a bit about your father.

I've mentioned before I'm not a religious man, but... my thoughts and prayers have been there--a minute here, a minute there these past weeks ("I haven't heard from Corbin"... "Aw man, I hope his father is ok"... "hey, Corbin's EYE better be OK too!!! :) )

My grandfather had a stroke many many MANY years ago, and it was pretty tough for everyone. Granted, you just do your best--it's all you can do.

We're all mortal, and I do not wish to be a downer, but... one day--I won't be here to make any goofy quips, nor get spell-checked by J-Lo, nor confused by Hasid... ;) ;)

But I *DO* know that everyone remembers people for who they are and were... not whether they are alive, sick, or otherwise.

So... I don't know. Maybe... tell us about him and how important he is to you? It's a bold thing to say, but... you know me: I'm a freakin' jack-arse... :D :D

Even Shakespeare spoke that immortalization comes from the written word.

Corbin_Das
10-26-2008, 01:20 AM
Hi all
At this point, it's all I can do to try and be strong for my Mom and siblings. With things being up in the air in regards to how much residual abilities my Dad will get back, it's kinda hard to come to terms with everything, because nothing is "finalized" yet. We're still waiting to see what type of situation we're going to have to deal with.

As of right now, he can't speak or move his left side. He has a hard time opening his eyes and we can't tell if he even recognizes us yet. They are still running tests to determine what areas have been affected and to what degree, but observing his abilities & disabilities are a better indicator I think. So it's a wait and see game right now.

My memories of my Dad are mostly happy ones....

My Dad taught me to be true to yourself, even if you lose friends over it. I've only had that happen a couple times, but felt better in the long run for not comprimising myself just to conform to someone else's expectations of me. He use to say "If you want to be a sell out, that's your business.... just don't sell yourself out." I really appreciated that advice.

I also remember him responding to some rumor or another than a particular person was trying to spread about him. They ended up getting proved wrong and looked like a fool, but even so. When confronted with the rumor, my Dad refused to get caught up in feeding the flames by getting mad or trying to insult the person's character or anything. He just said "As long as it's the truth, it can't hurt me." And he left it at that.

My Dad tended to work a shift where I wasn't able to see him much as a kid. He'd be there for dinner usually, but would have to leave soon after and wouldn't get home until early in the morning (like 4AM or something). So he wasn't up when I got up for school and couldn't hang out to help me with homework or stuff like that after dinner. Still, when we DID get to hang out, we had a blast.

He helped me make a pinewood derby car for Cub Scouts. He encouraged my interest in inventing things and would help me to make them. Granted, most of them were pretty lame, but still. A few were pretty cool. We made a full auto BB gun that was fun.

Something that's relevant to the saber community, he helped me convert an old Mag Lite into a lightsaber by having a slip on blade holder I designed made up at his work. It used a solid acrylic rod for the blade and didn't light up nearly as well as the current Luxeon sabers. Years later, when Luxeon came out with a drop in LED upgrade for the Mag Lite, I got one and put it in "the beast", as we called it. While technically, this may have been one of the first Luxeon sabers, nothing was ever really done with it and the solid acrylic blade ended up getting broke, so the saber just got stored away somewhere in the garage. The darn blade holder was so huge around on this thing that it looked like a dumbell on one end. Definitely not a sleek saber. :)

Anyway, my Dad is a cool guy that helped a lot of people. Not just me. He used to take me to soup kitchens to volunteer with him or to just go around and hand out sandwiches to the homeless with me. He used to go to auctions and buy a bunch of surpluss coats and we'd hand them out to people that needed them at shelters and such. This type of thinking inspired me to approach my Junior High school and ask about setting up a program where we took the left over food they didn't serve us in the cafeteria and arrange to have it donated to the soup kitchen we volunteered at. The school was able to right off a portion of the cost of the food expense and they got to help people out at the same time. I'm not sure, but I think the school still does this.

My Dad was many things to many people, and we will never really know how many folks he helped over the years, but I'm sure that in his life, he helped far more people than he hurt. I'm positive of that.

MaverickJsmith
10-26-2008, 01:45 AM
Your Father sounds like a wonderful person Corbin, I do hope he's still the same man. His words "be true to yourself" echo in my head strongly, because someone once told me the same thing, someone who meant a lot to me, someone who still does. It may just give me the courage to do something I should have done a long time ago.

I do hope your Father recovers and is able to lead as normal a life as he can.

Maverick 8)

Onli-Won Kanomi
10-26-2008, 02:04 AM
I'm sorry to hear this Corbin...I have and will pray for his swift and full recovery and for strength and peace in this difficult time for your family.

VeggieJedi
10-26-2008, 02:25 AM
Sorry to hear the news man, my grandfather had a stroke too, so strokes really suck:(
You, your dad and your family have my sympathies and prayers.

Darth Morbius
10-26-2008, 09:43 AM
Corbin, this kind of thing is really tough. Of course our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family my friend.

Gray Exile
10-26-2008, 10:08 AM
Corbin,
Your Dad sounds like the kind of man we all aspire to be. My thoughts and prayers, like so many others here, are with you and your family.

Novastar
10-26-2008, 02:23 PM
...Anyway, my Dad is a cool guy that helped a lot of people. Not just me. He used to take me to soup kitchens to volunteer with him or to just go around and hand out sandwiches to the homeless with me. He used to go to auctions and buy a bunch of surpluss coats and we'd hand them out to people that needed them at shelters and such. This type of thinking inspired me to approach my Junior High school and ask about setting up a program where we took the left over food they didn't serve us in the cafeteria and arrange to have it donated to the soup kitchen we volunteered at. The school was able to right off a portion of the cost of the food expense and they got to help people out at the same time. I'm not sure, but I think the school still does this.Well there ya go... I (personally) say that it honor of Joe's father--and just to be in the spirit of the holidays--everyone donate just a LITTLE time (or a lot??) to a local soup kitchen or you know... canned food / low-income housing setup.

I used to do a lot of that when I was a bit younger, but I haven't in a long time... and Jennifer and I were thinking about doing this during Thanksgiving instead of spending it with the families and so forth.

I'm glad I asked Corbin to share about his dad... thanks for that Corbin, it was a great thing to hear!

kinchar bamin
10-26-2008, 04:08 PM
sorry to hear someone so close to you had such a terrible stroke. i shall meditate over this tonight and my thoughts shall be with your father, who sounds like a great man.

Barmic Rin
10-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Those are some simple, yet powerfully inspiring words. He sounds like an awesome guy!

My thoughts are with you and your family Joe.

Please keep us updated, and I hope for a speedy recovery.

Victor Marklar
10-27-2008, 11:33 PM
All my best to your father and the rest of your family.