PDA

View Full Version : threading

swear000
10-23-2008, 03:11 PM
Since some of you guys are more avid machinist than others, I thought I would pose a question in regard to general threading. Sometimes when assembling or disassembling parts, the threads can have a tendency to bind. Are there any good techniques for working the two pieces being joined so that they bind less? I noticed at the local auto store that there is a grease that can be used. So I wanted to get various thoughts on things like oils, greases, and possible heating with a torch. De burring threads of a fine pitch seem to be a formidable task and re-tapping may not always be an option due to lack of availability of proper equipment.

Strydur
10-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Put some clear oil on them and it will help a ton.

FenderBender
10-23-2008, 04:12 PM
I just ordered a Die in the right size, works like a charm fixing threads. My lathe wouldnt do it, so I just do it by hand now, much easier. You could also get a thread file, but then you would need something to turn the piece, like a lathe.

Logan Cade
10-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Hey Fender,

Could you share the info on the die, I'd be interested in one.

Thanks

LC

Lord Dottore Matto
10-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Hey Fender, hows about a linky???:D

Phiily Manyaan
10-23-2008, 07:42 PM
When mine get stuck, I put em in the freezer to shrink the metal a bit and it usually works. Just not sure if burrs are my problem, but brrrs are the solution!!

That was bad. I didn't mean for it to happen.

Novastar
10-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Oil and Brrrrrrr.... sounds right, guys. :)

Logan Cade
10-26-2008, 10:02 AM
Hey Fender,

Could you share the info on the die, I'd be interested in one.

Thanks

LC