PDA

View Full Version : Momentary switch question

Jedi-Diah
10-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Do you know if most tactile momentary switches "close the circuit" or "opens" it? More specifically, when you press a momentary switch (like the kind you need with CF or USB2.0) is it like touching two wire together and completing the circuit momentarily or is it like breaking a wire momentarily?

The reason I ask is because I thought about using the Graflex red button to "close the circuit" and touch two wires when you press it down (and thus connecting the wires as long as you're holding the button down). I believe this was the original function of his button. It touched two brass pins by linking them together with the metal part that is on the bottom of the button.

If a momentary switch does this I could see doing away with the momentary button idea and rigging a way to use the Graflex button to close the circuit simply by touching wires. However, I'm afraid it might work the opposite way and might open the circuit when you press it and then I'd have to use the momentary switch.

Lord Dottore Matto
10-23-2008, 01:37 PM
The answer to your question is "yes". MOM switches either close or open the circuit. It depends upon which one you choose.;)

Jedi-Diah
10-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Ok. Thanks. So, momentary switches can either open or close the circuit. Important question is, what kind of momentary switch is needed for Crystal Focus or Ultrasound? Or does it matter?

The answer to your question is "yes". MOM switches either close or open the circuit. It depends upon which one you choose.;)

eastern57
10-23-2008, 05:00 PM
Normally Open (NO)

Jedi-Diah
10-23-2008, 05:09 PM
So, do you think my idea of using the red button to complete the switch work then? Basically it would be like touching the two switch wires together as long as you hold the button down.

Is that what the CF board is looking for? Maybe I should be asking Erv?

Normally Open (NO)

eastern57
10-23-2008, 05:12 PM
So, do you think my idea of using the red button to complete the switch work then? Basically it would be like touching the two switch wires together as long as you hold the button down.

Is that what the CF board is looking for? Maybe I should be asking Erv?

Yes dood, that's what we're saying - it's the same thing... it's good... it will work. [/pants sh*tting]

Lord Dottore Matto
10-23-2008, 05:50 PM
Yes dood, that's what we're saying - it's the same thing... it's good... it will work. [/pants sh*tting]

LMFAO ***sh*ts pants***:lol:

erv
10-23-2008, 11:27 PM
yep, normally open switch (NO) if using a momentary switch with CF. USB is momentary NO too I think.

Most tactile are N.O. What I did on my first graflex was to use a carbon rubber pad (salvaged from a remote control rubber keypad) and glue it under the red button. Then I made 2 electrical contacts with copper tape (or you can take the golden contact in the remote control PCB too) et VOILA : custom switch !
You need the rubber / carbon thingie otherwise it will never touch properly both contacts, it has to be a bit elastic.
Erv'

Jedi-Diah
10-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Great. I want to do something like that. Thanks for the tip. Of course this all depends on getting one of those elusive soundboards one day. Until then, I'm stuck with latching... But no hurry. It will happen.

yep, normally open switch (NO) if using a momentary switch with CF. USB is momentary NO too I think.

Most tactile are N.O. What I did on my first graflex was to use a carbon rubber pad (salvaged from a remote control rubber keypad) and glue it under the red button. Then I made 2 electrical contacts with copper tape (or you can take the golden contact in the remote control PCB too) et VOILA : custom switch !
You need the rubber / carbon thingie otherwise it will never touch properly both contacts, it has to be a bit elastic.
Erv'

eastern57
10-24-2008, 12:08 AM
for what it's worth... hasbro boards use momentary switches... :P

Jonitus
10-24-2008, 09:01 AM
I ganked a momentary out of a Hasbro to use in the machined groove of my Graflex adapter. The little grey "nub" on the switch is at the perfect height to be activated by a depress of the red button.

Will work a treat for a CF or USB board installed in the saber.

Jedi-Diah
10-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Thanks Jonitus,

Is that switch small enough that you are able to slide out the blade holder without moving the switch? I have several momentary switches that are too big to put under the red button and still slide out the blade holder.

I'd like the switch to be permanantly fixed on the blade holder under the red button and be able to slide the blade holder in or out without disturbing it.

I ganked a momentary out of a Hasbro to use in the machined groove of my Graflex adapter. The little grey "nub" on the switch is at the perfect height to be activated by a depress of the red button.

Will work a treat for a CF or USB board installed in the saber.

Jonitus
10-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Thanks Jonitus,

Is that switch small enough that you are able to slide out the blade holder without moving the switch? I have several momentary switches that are too big to put under the red button and still slide out the blade holder.

I'd like the switch to be permanantly fixed on the blade holder under the red button and be able to slide the blade holder in or out without disturbing it.

Yes, it is. I'll try and take a photograph tonight and post it so you can see what I did. It worked out pretty slick for me.

Jedi-Diah
10-29-2008, 02:22 PM
You must have extended the red button so it goes down closer to the blade holder (which I think is necessary no matter what).

Yes, it is. I'll try and take a photograph tonight and post it so you can see what I did. It worked out pretty slick for me.