PDA

View Full Version : Crystal chambers

samurai_rob
10-22-2008, 10:04 AM
I'm very new to this, but really want to learn so please take it easy on me...I just saw that some people use real crystals! How does this work? Is it just for looks or does it have a pratical use? Also, I've never done any kind of electrical work before, so can some one tell me if the wiring required is easy to learn? I would hate to invest in a led kit and screw it up. What can I do to practice? Thanks!

xwingband
10-22-2008, 10:54 AM
The crystals are purely for looks. They provide no actual function. The artists of the visual dictionaries drew in focusing crystals above the power cells and it's been written in books that jedi and sith use crystals so people sometimes like to go the "extra mile" for realism.

For wiring: look at the tutorial forums below. Look for soldering videos online. If you want practice you're really just going to have to review those and play with some wire. Soldering is like the metal version of hot glue.

samurai_rob
10-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the quick reply! You guys are awesome!

swear000
10-22-2008, 11:24 AM
It looks like you cut a hole in your hilt. I happen to have a few hole saws but square shaped chambers may require some dremel work. Then you can wire a LED under a quartz crystal or acrylic crystal (sold at TCSS shop). Install it in the hilt and throw a metal mesh and sink tube over it and..viola!

Lord Dottore Matto
10-22-2008, 11:47 AM
There are some great soldering tutorials on utube (Erv has a great one!) Here is a link to his channel--->http://www.youtube.com/user/irvinplecter

P.s.- Practice and reading make perfect my brother!;)

samurai_rob
10-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Again, I say you guys are great! Coolest, nicest, most helpful message board community I've ever used! What did you all do to all the A-holes that usually lurk on the internet! With you guys behind me, I believe I can do it! I hope to become a constant presence on the boards! My first order of MHS parts are due any day now, then I hope to order some electronics and go for my first build! Thanks again!

Angelus Lupus
10-22-2008, 12:40 PM
What did you all do to all the A-holes that usually lurk on the internet!
Hit them with lightsabers, naturally :p
Welcome, enjoy your stay.

Dark Navel
10-22-2008, 07:14 PM
I know easter57 has done a couple...well at least one I can think of that came out very well. I have made one as well just never wired it up...the parts are easily accessible at any hardware store and you can use a bright LED that would sit below the crystal and shine the light up and through it. Try and get a piece of crystal that is veined because the way the light from the LED hits it really makes it stand out.

My 2 cents anyway.

Lord Maul
10-22-2008, 08:09 PM
I made a hilt with one. I ran a Star/O LED off 2AAAs direct drive. Worked very well and was super bright. Brighter than the blade, in fact, which was driven by a 5W LED.

Count Malik
10-22-2008, 08:34 PM
crystal chambers are very cool IMO... BTW welcome to the forums!:lol:

eastern57
10-22-2008, 10:11 PM
I think crystals add that element of coolness that suggests "there's a little more here than you thought"... I guess I'm a fan of saber elements that offer character... you know? story...

I've actually done quite a few - and as DN inadvertantly alluded to - not all have turned out display worthy ;) It's kind of like the weathering thing: there's a thousand ways to incorporate this, and if it's done right, then it's instant-awesome; there's no "wrong way" but many degrees of "not-quite-right"

Novastar
10-23-2008, 03:33 AM
I agree, the crystals thing is a pretty cool touch of panache that makes a saber pretty unique. Another reason why I love the ones Yoda (of fx-sabers) makes. Cool.

Another way to go is to simply allow LEDs to shine from the inside via "cheese grater holes" in the hilt or a viewport/grate/screen... and let people's imaginations carry through the rest... AND allow you more space on the inside for other components. An example is here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2iaDEhfd4yo

Granted, this saber is nowhere near the complexity of something custom-machined, nor would someone have to use multiple-colored LEDs in separate places inside the hilt. You can do it any way ya like... ;)

Imagination = sky is the limit. :)

rdricks
10-23-2008, 03:57 AM
I like the crystals, but did not have space in my saber for one. I have too many LEDs on the hilt (Thanks CF for allowing me to get carried away). Since I could not fit a crystal, I added a "Crystal LED" as I call it. The LED is wired in with the main K2 LED so that it has the same effects - power up/down, clash, etc. My "Poor Man's" crystal.

-Ryan

MoonDragn
10-23-2008, 09:58 AM
Of course if you get a real ruby and a helical flash tube... it would no longer be just for looks...

swear000
10-23-2008, 11:30 AM
when I cracked open the hasbro vader, I took out the LED housing. It looks like the parts can be re-assembled into a crystal chamber but I am still working on a usable design.

eastern57
10-23-2008, 12:38 PM
The LED is wired in with the main K2 LED so that it has the same effects - power up/down, clash, etc....

That's called a Progressive Power-On LED or "PPO"

samurai_rob
10-23-2008, 04:52 PM
Awesome! Once I get proficient at the wiring, I'm gonna try the crystal thing! That just looks too cool to pass up! Any good places online to get Cheap pre-cut clear quartz?

eastern57
10-23-2008, 04:58 PM
I don't use real mineral crystals... never have...

I've used either the acrylic ones from the store or I carve out my own from acrylic cylinders. They're just easier to work with IMO.

Silent_Jedi
10-23-2008, 06:12 PM
I've made a pretty effective crystal chamber using a quartz shard that I shaped with my dremel and lit with an simple LED and computer battery mount (a 2032 3w). The color comes out nice, and the small 'imperfections' give it a kinda sparkley look to the crystal.

have a looksie :D
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/Pulse76/1023082053a.jpg

eastern57
10-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Wow! That's very, VERY clever... using the pommels and inserts like that. I hope you don't mind, but I'm totally gonna rip-off that idea! ;) :D

A+ duder!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/Pulse76/1023082053a.jpg

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
10-24-2008, 09:32 AM
If we're doing show and tell, here's one that I made for a steampunk saber I've been working on. I'm still sourcing some parts for this saber, and it will be a long time before it's done, but here's what I did for the crystal chamber:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1126239/Steam_2.JPG

It's a piece of real quartz, in a totally scratch built housing, lit by a 5mm white LED.

Lord Dottore Matto
10-24-2008, 12:01 PM
ODKG, That is one of the nicer crystal chambers I have seen! I am so stealing that idea!:cool:

MoonDragn
10-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Heh, my crystal chamber looks similar, but I used two springs instead of the copper wire and the existing graflex innerds to make it.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
10-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks! The copper tubing serves a purpose. The power wires for the main LED are running through those coils.

I really should finish this saber, but I so completely botched the 1.25" sink tube that I got mad and had to put it on the shelf for a while and pretend it didn't exist. I'm still looking for some parts to finish it too.

One of these days...

Novastar
10-25-2008, 12:36 AM
That is *DOPE* Obi-Dar... awwwww yeeeeeeah... enter the SteamPunk, beeeeotches... :D

eastern57
10-25-2008, 01:18 AM
That is *DOPE* Obi-Dar... awwwww yeeeeeeah... enter the SteamPunk, beeeeotches... :D

Don't worry, I can translate...

Novastar says:

Dear Obi-Dar,

Thank you Obi-dar for showing me your crystal chamber. It looks very nice.
Steampunk beeotches. big smiley

love,
Novastar

aww, so sweet :)

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
10-25-2008, 08:29 AM
ROFL!!!

You guys kill me!

:D

Kant Lavar
10-25-2008, 09:23 AM
One of these days, I'm going to figure out how you folks fit switches, sound, wire, batteries, AND a crystal chamber into one of these gorram things.

And then five seconds later the sun will go nova. :cool:

swear000
10-25-2008, 10:27 AM
everything fits with really careful determination of proper utilization of available space. Translation: cram it all in! j/k I think in some case connectors may help. Taping stuff to the battery pack looks like a good idea also. However, I think that may be risky because the tape may conduct electricity. I think I shorted a couple boards out that way. Crystal chambers seem to be a LED, resistor, and crystal so not to bad in size.

eastern57
10-25-2008, 12:26 PM
One of these days, I'm going to figure out how you folks fit switches, sound, wire, batteries, AND a crystal chamber into one of these gorram things.

And then five seconds later the sun will go nova. :cool:

one thing I do that has really helped - I use either 26-28g wire and custom measure all the connection points so that there is little to no slack. Wire doesn't have to be football pads. And it actually easier to fit everthing if its a nice whole piece - that properly fits.

Lord Dottore Matto
10-25-2008, 01:12 PM

Novastar says:

Dear Obi-Dar,

love,
Novastar

aww, so sweet :)

I literally am LMAO while ROFL...:lol::lol::lol:

samurai_rob
10-25-2008, 02:06 PM
About the crystal chambers (yeah, I know - I'm obsessed) I had an Idea to use 2 pommel inserts style 6 as a top and a base. they seem to have a perfect hole in the center for setting the crystal and also they already have mounting holes for supports...just a thought - crystal in the center - 3 painted small dowels for support screwed to the inserts - acrylic tube cut to fit around the supports - and add some do dads for looks! what do you think? could it work? I don't have insert 6 to use as a reference yet, so I was wondering...Ideas? Comments? Advice?

samurai_rob
10-25-2008, 02:07 PM
instead of wooden dowels, maybe some sort of small metal tubes? any ideas?

eastern57
10-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Check your local hardware store. In the screws section, you'll be able to find 1", 1.5" 2" etc. -long screws. The small metal tubes are called "spacers" and are also available in different lengths. you can figure out how they go together after that - pretty easy.

:)

Lord Dottore Matto
10-25-2008, 03:44 PM
Check your local hardware store. In the screws section, you'll be able to find 1", 1.5" 2" etc. -long screws. The small metal tubes are called "spacers" and are also available in different lengths. you can figure out how they go together after that - pretty easy.

:)

Friggin home depot! Not a spacer in sight this afternoon! ARGGGGGGGGGHH!:evil:

samurai_rob
10-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the info! Only Big hardware store we have local is a Lowes...but we do have a locally-owned nut & bolt store called the bolt store (not kidding!) I haven't been by, yet... I'm waiting for my next shipments of parts.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
10-25-2008, 06:01 PM
About the crystal chambers (yeah, I know - I'm obsessed) I had an Idea to use 2 pommel inserts style 6 as a top and a base. they seem to have a perfect hole in the center for setting the crystal and also they already have mounting holes for supports...

Hey, that's a good idea! Those inserts would probably work really well for that.

Silent_Jedi
10-25-2008, 06:08 PM
About the crystal chambers (yeah, I know - I'm obsessed) I had an Idea to use 2 pommel inserts style 6 as a top and a base. they seem to have a perfect hole in the center for setting the crystal and also they already have mounting holes for supports...just a thought - crystal in the center - 3 painted small dowels for support screwed to the inserts - acrylic tube cut to fit around the supports - and add some do dads for looks! what do you think? could it work? I don't have insert 6 to use as a reference yet, so I was wondering...Ideas? Comments? Advice?

What I did was use pommel insert style 3 and bought a couple of LED holders from Radio Shack to be the basis of my chamber then drilled and tapped four holes and put three bolts (8-34 thread) and left the fourth hole for wireing. I have some plastic conduit to cover up the bolts and wires. When it's complete (Waiting on my Ultraboard before my next step) I'll post the finished product.

Jedi-Loreen
10-25-2008, 06:27 PM
If you go to Lowes, they should have a Specialty Hardware section with cabinets with lots of little drawers, at least, mine does. That's where you'll find spacers, different size washers, grommets, things like that. ;)

Sometimes I just like to go through the drawers and look for some inspiration when I'm building a prop or when I used to build hardware sabers.

samurai_rob
10-26-2008, 09:00 AM
Thanks again, Loreen! I may check today! Any idea what the simplest kind of LED set up would be? What can I scavenge? Any type of flash light or laser pointer that I might be able to cannibalize for both lighting and power source? I would like to build something self-contained so I could show it off outside the saber.

samurai_rob
10-26-2008, 09:01 AM
Not a lot of money after my last order yesterday, so try to keep suggestions on the CHEAP!;)

B5813
10-27-2008, 07:06 AM
5mm LED. Small, cheap and bright enough to illuminate the crystal. If you're making a chamber in which you are using a few screws to connect a set of washers try using a small 6/32 fillester head screw. They have small enough heads to allow you to drill them closer to the edge of the washers without the head overlaping outside of your washer outer diameter. Also, if you can find small aluminum or brass tubing you can cut to length your own spacers. The small stuff is usally found easy in smaller hardware stores like Ace.

samurai_rob
10-27-2008, 07:38 AM
Thanks!

samurai_rob
10-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Just got my order with the acrylic crystals and insert style 6 (I think) in the mail this morning! I think my Idea for using a couple of those inserts for the top and base for a crystal chamber will work great! I ordered a couple more of them from Tim, just now and will try to head to the local screw and bolt store (yes, we have one) to see if I can find the stuff to connect them together! As soon as I get all the parts (Prob. next week) I'll post some pics of what I'm doing and have you guys make some suggestions.:D

MoonDragn
10-30-2008, 10:16 AM
I used the inside guts of the Graflex to make the chamber:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/MoonDragn/CrystalChamber.jpg

Nothing fancy, thinking about how to make it look better.

samurai_rob
10-30-2008, 10:30 AM
Pretty cool...hope to have mine done in a week or so.:-D

kinchar bamin
11-01-2008, 02:53 PM
if you get 2 pommels and put the inserts into them, then the spacers, you can easily attach the chamber to your saber by just screwing it in. may not work for my galen marek saber

Jedi-Loreen
11-01-2008, 03:55 PM
I don't know if that would work like you think it would. Have you worked out the logistics of that? One pommel would have to be turned the opposite way to make it look symmetrical, and they are only threaded on one end.

Most crystal chambers aren't at the bottom of the saber, but more toward the middle-blade end.

Silent_Jedi
11-01-2008, 04:08 PM
I'm just putting two sink tube adapters back to back and putting a sink tube to make it a bit more seamless. The crystal electronics are in the top of the hilt since the LED only needs the wire running to it. Here's how it's turning out so far...
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/Pulse76/1101081902.jpg

kinchar bamin
11-02-2008, 04:53 AM
I don't know if that would work like you think it would. Have you worked out the logistics of that? One pommel would have to be turned the opposite way to make it look symmetrical, and they are only threaded on one end.

Most crystal chambers aren't at the bottom of the saber, but more toward the middle-blade end.

No like this http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa17/supersaberboy/saberBuilder_render2.png

in this render the pommels are connected to double female connectors.

kinchar bamin
11-02-2008, 09:09 AM
im about to place my order for the parts

Jedi-Loreen
11-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Ok. But that design wouldn't work, just as it is. You can't put a switch on there like that, not on a 2" extension piece, there's not much that isn't threads, and you can't put the switch where it is, because the heat sink will interfere with it. You also can't put a screw or rivet where it's holding the emitter shroud on.

If that's just meant as an example showing a crystal chamber made from 2 pommels, then fine, but parts of the design won't work in practicality.

samurai_rob
11-02-2008, 10:23 AM
I does seem to have a few flaws in the design, but I really love the theory behind it! If you can get it to work, it'll be awesome! Keep up the work and totally keep me posted!:D That is one of the best original designs that I've seen!

kinchar bamin
11-02-2008, 11:22 AM
thanx a lot rob. where do you reckon i could place a switch?

samurai_rob
11-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Not sure, how are you planning on running wires between the sections? Are those solid bolts supporting the crystal or are you gonna use some kind of metal conduit? If you're not hung up on having a speaker in the pommel, maybe consider a switch in the pommel? I say you may want to order your electronics assembly first to see how much room you're gonna need and then modify the design around that. but that's just a suggestion - don't know if it will work.

Jedi-Loreen
11-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Are you actually planning to build this saber? Are you gonna cover the crystal chamber with anything? If I were doing it, I'd make a whole long sink tube shroud going up to the emitter, and make some cut outs in the sink tube so you could see the crystal. That will also hide the wiring from the battery holder that has to go up for the switch.

If you go to a 3" extension piece below the blade holder, you could put your switch in there.

This will have to be a simple saber, because as it is, there's not much room in the bottom part for anything but a battery holder. What are you going to light up your crystal with, and how are you gonna mount that?

samurai_rob
11-02-2008, 11:56 AM
I agree with JL, on that. You may want to think of a cover section over the crystal with a removable grate cover or something. Then, you need not worry too much about the wires. And don't feel bad if you have to add an inch or to in length - I'm having to a an inch to my center section because I didn't realize that I wouldn't have room for the switch I wanted to use until I got my parts and had it assembled! To quote the Hillbilly ninja from Youtube - "Ah,Practice ah makes ah Perfick!" (I'm from the hills of SE KY, so I can make Hillbilly jokes, OK?):)

kinchar bamin
11-02-2008, 12:15 PM
just bought, jeez £120.00 well my dads pissed off but oh well, he thinks its rubbish but i'll show him, i'll show you ALL!!! *ahem* yeh good luck 2 me :D and the saber render is similar to the saber that i'm making but half the crystal will be covered by the emitter shroud and the thumbscrew will probably go through the shroud, blade holder and blade. and the wires will run through three spacers that connect the parts between the crystal chamber. i will firure out how to put this together easy!

samurai_rob
11-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Good luck! Keep me posted!:D

kinchar bamin
11-03-2008, 06:03 AM
made a model out of paper just to show what part of it will look like heres it http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa17/supersaberboy/crystalcham.jpg
http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa17/supersaberboy/emittr.jpg

and the crystal chamber will be lit by one of these babys http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa17/supersaberboy/10aa.jpg theyre 5mm LEDs that change colour slowly.
would this work? http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa17/supersaberboy/sbaerrender3.jpg

Novastar
11-03-2008, 04:58 PM

Novastar says:

Dear Obi-Dar,

love,
Novastar

aww, so sweet :)Hmm. I never say "dear" and "love"... so... arg, bad translation, hahahhaha.

Beeeeeotches. :D :P

samurai_rob
11-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Just got the parts to start on my chamber! Will post pics as soon as I get to run to Lowes for the rest!

swear000
11-03-2008, 07:32 PM
I am putting together some ingredients as well. These are parts from the LED housing on a vader force action before they changed to a tri-color (except for the crystal of course).

samurai_rob
11-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Pretty cool! I'm trying something using 2 pommel inserts. We'll see if it works.

kinchar bamin
11-04-2008, 12:22 PM
nice! im using 2 pommels, both style 4 and 2 stle 6 inserts

Silent_Jedi
11-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Well, it's been requested from a couple of people I put the design up for my led board that I'm using in my crystal chamber. You'll have to pardon the Paint sketch, kinda tossed it together quickly.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/Pulse76/crystalsaberschem.jpg

red's positive wires, black is negitive, I used a radio shack board that I trimmed to fit into a Sink tube adapter and bridged the gap between holes with solder. I'm going to have to make room for the wires to the LED in the future though. The switch is wired with a tiny connecter I found in a train/RC car/RC plane shop I visit, so I can easily connect/disconnect for maintanance. As soon as I get a camera better than my little 1.3 megapixel cameraphone I'll post the pics (though there isn't much considering the battery holder covers the small wires).

vadeblade
11-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Hi,
Just thought I would share. This is my lightsaber Work-in-progress. I'm just waiting on funds to buy a sound solution.

Here is a shot of crystal chamber cutout.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh258/vvvv_767/HPIM0581-1.jpg

Closeup of the crystal chamber cutout

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh258/vvvv_767/HPIM0431.jpg

Closeup of the Crystal chamber out of the hilt.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh258/vvvv_767/DSCN2727_small-1.jpg

If your wondering why the color keeps changing, I put an RGB 5mm led under the chamber.
Cheers,
V

samurai_rob
11-05-2008, 01:31 PM
That is Beautiful! That is the best stand-alone chamber I've seen. What do you use to power it?:D

vadeblade
11-05-2008, 02:14 PM
That is Beautiful! That is the best stand-alone chamber I've seen. What do you use to power it?:D

If that is directed at me, Thanks. If not, sorry for my vanity.

the LED is a 5mm rgb. It needs as little at 2.8v to light but 3.2-3.6v @20mA to get the best color blends. right now i just have a 3v coin battery attached to it. When I finish the electronics i plan to tap some of the power out of a 616 board to light the chamber.

samurai_rob
11-05-2008, 02:42 PM
If that is directed at me, Thanks. If not, sorry for my vanity.

the LED is a 5mm rgb. It needs as little at 2.8v to light but 3.2-3.6v @20mA to get the best color blends. right now i just have a 3v coin battery attached to it. When I finish the electronics i plan to tap some of the power out of a 616 board to light the chamber.

And yes that was directed at you. I LOVE that chamber! I was thinking of using a 3v coin bat for mine, but can't find a way to connect it as a power source. I got it and a holder from an old Blood sugar monitor, but wasn't able to use the connectors. What can I use? This is the first time I've tried to wire up a battery that small.

vadeblade
11-05-2008, 03:19 PM
I was thinking of using a 3v coin bat for mine, but can't find a way to connect it as a power source. What can I use? This is the first time I've tried to wire up a battery that small.

Keep in mind that I have a coin bat in mine just so i can take pictures and to test the look of the hilt...

They sell coin bat holders at RS. But for me I just taped the wires in place and wrapped the whole bat in tape so it does not touch the hilt wall. the final wiring will not use coin bat. I plan to power from 616. Batteries will be NiMH. I'm using Panasonic cr 2032 which are almost an inch in dia.

samurai_rob
11-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Cool. do you have the battery wired directly to the led or do you need a resistor?

vadeblade
11-06-2008, 11:58 AM
no resistor. A resistor is only needed if the battery pack voltage is greater than the forward voltage of the LED. In my case the LED forward voltage is between 3.2 to 3.6v since i have 3 colors. The button cell only puts out 3v. So no resistor is needed.

Even when running a resistored setup, you get best efficiency when your battery pack gets as close to the forward voltage of the LED you are driving.

samurai_rob
11-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks, Vade!

kinchar bamin
11-07-2008, 02:44 PM
stuff still hasnt arrived. if it arrives after 30 days will i get it for free? no one wants a cold lightsaber ;)

samurai_rob
11-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Just hit radio shack last night and got some cheap led's. My proof of concept has been validated! I think it'll work! I'll keep u guys updated. I've got a trip to lowes tomorrow to look for parts and - if I can find what I need - may have some early design pics to post sunday to see what u think. Fingers crossed, everybody! ;)

kinchar bamin
11-22-2008, 03:48 PM
very sorry to all who had to see that. i have mood swings every so often for no apparent reason. so sorry. the only issue is with the crystal chamber and it is completely my fault. im sure i can find a way to sort it out. im not angry with tim im just angry with myself

Lord Maul
11-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Dude, this isn't the place to drop "F" bombs. Please edit your post.

All the measurements are there. Everything says "adds x.xx inches to your saber" and all the MHS parts except for chokes, some pommels, and some blade holders are 1.45" OD. If you had a question then you could have searched the forums. What isn't in the store description can normally be found on the boards. If it isn't, you can ASK. Most members have calipers and can give you measurements.

Jedi-Loreen
11-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Language, dude. A word you used was not nice. We know you're upset, but no need for that one, here.

What parts did you order that were too small?

Maybe see if there's someone here that might want to buy them off of you.

eastern57
11-22-2008, 04:48 PM
We've all made mistakes - learn from this one and press on.

If you truly are a buddhist, you must calm yourself, re-focus your chi - "and a solution will present itself."

Lord Dottore Matto
11-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Dude, why not post some pictures of what you have and a drawing of what you want to do. I may not be a real sabertech, I just play one on these forums...buuuuuutttt, I bet we could give you a hand and if not, I bet we could direct you where to sell the parts you have so you can start over! Relaxxxxxxxx, all is not lost!;)

swear000
11-22-2008, 09:56 PM
messed up. i thought i could do something that i couldnt. i ordered the parts to find that most of them were smaller than they looked in the pictures, i mean, why the ****doesnt tim tell us the size of this stuff. anyway theres all my money gone. was doing my paper round 4 hours a week for a year just to save up enough money. £120 down the crapper. no refunds, thanks tim. what a great bunch of **** im in. im never going to try to do anything complicated again ever in my life. really upset right now

Been there..done that...post pics of everything you got. Maybe it can still be saved. Be thankful you didn't short an expensive circuit board by leaving a computer on during an electrical storm. Toast is toast!

kinchar bamin
11-23-2008, 08:28 AM
My uncle had mood swings. i think i got them aswell. its sorta a psychological problem. i sat down and meditated for a while and realised how unwise i had been. so sorry tim, it wasnt your fault at all, all of the parts are of a great standard of quality. i need to learn how to stop blaming other people for my own problems. some pictures
http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa17/supersaberboy/Picture002.jpg
http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa17/supersaberboy/Picture004.jpg
http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa17/supersaberboy/Picture005.jpg
http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa17/supersaberboy/Picture006.jpg
http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa17/supersaberboy/Picture007.jpg
http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa17/supersaberboy/crystalcham.jpg
http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa17/supersaberboy/emittr.jpg
my problems are: making spacers, attaching spacers and making spacers strong enough. i thought i could make spacers and put them through the little holes in pomel insert 6 but it turns out that its smaller than i thought, so im going to get a clear, strong peice of tube to attach both sides and put screws to go through the holes in pommel insert 6 and the tube to keep it in place, then make it slightly more supported using the 1.5" sink tube to half cover the tube with the crystal inside

swear000
11-23-2008, 09:49 AM
http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa17/supersaberboy/saber.jpg

This was the saber you were planning originally.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Assets/ProductImages/170_7042_t.jpg

This is the pommel insert. What material were you planning on using as spacers?

I see you downloaded and printed a graflex style template for the top piece. Keep in mind that cutting that piece will take some skill so plan some time to do it carefully.

First thing I would do is assemble the MHS parts to get a rough idea on the length of the saber. Then decide where I wanted the crystal chamber to be and mark that area off with a Sharpie. I would then see if the sink tube fit over the MHS parts. Next, determine how long you want the top graflex style part to be and mark that length with a sharpie. Then wrap masking tape above and below the line so that when you cut the piece with a hacksaw you will avoid making scratches in the sinktube.

Plan things out with a sharpie whenever possible because you can always rub that off and start over again. Make sure you have distances measured exactly because after you drill or cut a part, there is no turning back. Main thing is to take your time. Even if you drill one hole on the weekend, be sure that hole is exactly where you want it to be. Custom sabers take more time because they have the potential for being better than anything you could buy at a store.

Novastar
11-23-2008, 04:08 PM
...i sat down and meditated for a while and realised how unwise i had been. so sorry tim, it wasnt your fault at all, all of the parts are of a great standard of quality. i need to learn how to stop blaming other people for my own problems....At least you calmed down, got focused... and admitted your mistake.

Many ADULTS... will not even do that. :) So... full marks.

Angelus Lupus
11-23-2008, 05:37 PM
In agreement with Nova, quite a mature attitude you're showing there. If only more people could step back, take a breath, and admit they were hasty. Heck, even I could benefit from doing that occasionaly.

galen marek
11-24-2008, 12:58 AM
thanks guys. well i gotta think of somethin to use for the chamber instead of spacers. i was thinking maybe using a strong, clear tube instead. what did xwing use for his clear saber? i think it would work great.
(this is kinchar BTW if anyones confuzzled i didnt like my old acc name, lol)

eastern57
11-24-2008, 05:52 AM
So your solution was to create another account? Can you delete you old account please? It would be nice if you helped us keep things tidy.

galen marek
11-24-2008, 09:19 AM
So your solution was to create another account? Can you delete you old account please? It would be nice if you helped us keep things tidy.

nope i just hate the name kinchar bamin. how do i delete it?

Lord Maul
11-24-2008, 04:06 PM
PM Tim. He can delete it for you. I don't think he has it enabled for users to delete their own

Lord Dottore Matto
11-24-2008, 11:35 PM
Dude you are a crack-up...:lol:

Gefallenes
06-08-2010, 08:52 PM
A quick revisit on the idea of using two inserts and spacers as the chamber: Is it possible to tap the outside of the spacers? Basically, to turn them into hollow screws? I was thinking of making a crystal chamber, and using those spacers as the supports so that I could run the wires *through* the spacers to keep things neat and tidy. But, back to the original question, is it possible to tap things like that?

Shadar Al'Niende
06-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Good on topic necro post ;) I think what you are after is threaded rod, but hollowed out. I haven't been able to find any myself.... but i figure it is out there...

*edit* good old Mcmaster Carr I think this is what you are looking for (http://www.mcmaster.com/#hollow-threaded-studs/=7g9dyu), or at least something like it...

With a hollow center, these studs are ideal to use as axles, vents, or passageways for wiring. Studs are made from 4130 chromium-molybdenum alloy steel. They have a black-oxide finish that provides mild rust resistance and some lubricity. All studs have a Class 2A thread fit and minimum Rockwell hardness of B90 but are not rated for tensile strength. Length is measured from end to end.

Bold and italics added ;)

Gefallenes
06-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Alright then, I'll have to look around for something like that. Thank you much, good sir :)

Shadar Al'Niende
06-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Added a link above ;)

Gefallenes
06-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Aha! Perfect. For a second there I was thinking "Hmm....close, but it's still solid..." and then I scrolled down and viola! Thank you very much. :D